Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Mavic 2 Batteries bulging, less than 40 recharges each: Planned Obsolescence, Bad Batch...or Coincidence?

Camerado

Reaction score
Just posting this to see if anyone else had this occur: my original battery and a spare both started bulging slightly just AFTER the 6 month warranty mark. Normal use, only around 40 recharge cycles each, never dropped, never stored in hot places.

Is it planned obsolescence, a bad batch at the factory, or just coincidence? Just seems fishy the timing of it.

I contacted DJI about it and they quickly pointed out that, although I was just beyond the warranty, they could not assist. But they did express an eagerness to 'share my loss' by having me buy new batteries...
However, we would love to share your loss as far as we could.
On account of battery is not suitable for repair, so we suggest that you could consider purchasing new ones.
Anyone else get this? Batteries are still functional but obviously on their way out after about 40 recharge cycles each (*they are rated for 200 according to DJI's printed resources)

DesertDan

Reaction score
I have never had any issues with my DJI batteries, including my M2P. They get up to 65C/150F after a flight but still good to go.

Camerado

Reaction score
Hmmm. Then it's really odd that both would bulge at the same time. I'm thinking now it could be a manufacturing/process error with the batch. Which sucks for me....anyway, thanks

WithTheBirds

Reaction score
There is another option. Poorly maintained.

They don’t need a kit of attention but allowing to fully discharge is an exceptionally good way to kill them- permanently. Puffing is a symptom.

Reactions: MavicScot

Camerado

Reaction score
They've only been fully discharged when I deliberately spun them down for the recommended periodic full discharge/recharge process. Critical level (for me) with autolanding is set at 15%, I have low battery warning set at 25% and usually land right after. Unless we have to handle them like eggs, I think the maintenance and handling has been completely reasonable.

anzacjack

Reaction score
Loc
Brisbane, Australia
I contacted DJI about it and they quickly pointed out that, although I was just beyond the warranty, they could not assist. But they did express an eagerness to 'share my loss' by having me buy new batteries...
Hahaha , that made my night :)

Royston James

Reaction score
Loc
UK
Hi if you live in the Uk or Europe your battery warranty is 12 months. I was told this by DJI China when I was kicking off about how long they had had my drone for repair. I said my warranty was wasting away while they had my drone. They told me not worry I have got 12 months warranty on my batteries and 2 years on the drone

WithTheBirds

Reaction score
Can you post an image or two to show what the bulging issue looks like?

What is the reported battery life %?

Have you uploaded a flight to Airdata to have a look at the reported battery parameters?

How balanced are the cell voltages?

What flight time are you getting?

LongRifle

Reaction score
I have Mavic 1 batteries that will be 3 years old in a few months and they're still going strong. I just make sure they're cycled once a week whether it's with the drone or the USB adapter. They each have about a hundred cycles (flights), but you can count the number of times I let them drop to under 20% with one hand. If your batteries were bad to begin I don't think it would take six months for them to start bulging.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjrmurph