DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Batteries bulging, less than 40 recharges each: Planned Obsolescence, Bad Batch...or Coincidence?

Camerado

Reactions
Just posting this to see if anyone else had this occur: my original battery and a spare both started bulging slightly just AFTER the 6 month warranty mark. Normal use, only around 40 recharge cycles each, never dropped, never stored in hot places.

Is it planned obsolescence, a bad batch at the factory, or just coincidence? Just seems fishy the timing of it.

I contacted DJI about it and they quickly pointed out that, although I was just beyond the warranty, they could not assist. But they did express an eagerness to 'share my loss' by having me buy new batteries...
However, we would love to share your loss as far as we could.
On account of battery is not suitable for repair, so we suggest that you could consider purchasing new ones.
Anyone else get this? Batteries are still functional but obviously on their way out after about 40 recharge cycles each (*they are rated for 200 according to DJI's printed resources)

I have never had any issues with my DJI batteries, including my M2P. They get up to 65C/150F after a flight but still good to go.

Hmmm. Then it's really odd that both would bulge at the same time. I'm thinking now it could be a manufacturing/process error with the batch. Which sucks for me....anyway, thanks

There is another option. Poorly maintained.

They don’t need a kit of attention but allowing to fully discharge is an exceptionally good way to kill them- permanently. Puffing is a symptom.

They've only been fully discharged when I deliberately spun them down for the recommended periodic full discharge/recharge process. Critical level (for me) with autolanding is set at 15%, I have low battery warning set at 25% and usually land right after. Unless we have to handle them like eggs, I think the maintenance and handling has been completely reasonable.

I contacted DJI about it and they quickly pointed out that, although I was just beyond the warranty, they could not assist. But they did express an eagerness to 'share my loss' by having me buy new batteries...

Hahaha , that made my night :)

Hi if you live in the Uk or Europe your battery warranty is 12 months. I was told this by DJI China when I was kicking off about how long they had had my drone for repair. I said my warranty was wasting away while they had my drone. They told me not worry I have got 12 months warranty on my batteries and 2 years on the drone

Can you post an image or two to show what the bulging issue looks like?

What is the reported battery life %?

Have you uploaded a flight to Airdata to have a look at the reported battery parameters?

How balanced are the cell voltages?

What flight time are you getting?

I have Mavic 1 batteries that will be 3 years old in a few months and they're still going strong. I just make sure they're cycled once a week whether it's with the drone or the USB adapter. They each have about a hundred cycles (flights), but you can count the number of times I let them drop to under 20% with one hand. If your batteries were bad to begin I don't think it would take six months for them to start bulging.

Reactions: Flycaster
searched the forum for report like this. 2 of my 3 batteries on my Mavic 2 Zoom are starting to bulge and
#3 doesn't latch fully unless fully snapped in. afraid to use it for fear it will pop out at 200 feet. This was a
fly more bundle buy so 3 of them came with it mid August of 2018.
So I'm with in a year and does the Refresh cover batteries??
S. Lewis P4P / Spark / Mavic Pro / Mavic 2 Zoom

Hello El Dedos:

I posted original thread; can't provide any more conclusive info except what I experienced. I went to official vendor and shop where I purchased drone, they gave me velcro strap to keep batteries from popping out of chamber at great height (doesnt solve the bulging issue though).

DJI would not replace batteries as they were one month past warranty (*didn't know this)

Thus I sold my Mavic 2 at a loss, drone and two bulging but functional batteries for $680, as I did not want to risk another bulging issue. Disappointed, as I paid nearly $1400 for drone and spare battery less than a year ago.

Will try Autel robotics or Anafi as next drone til DJI solves bulging issue

Good luck in any case ;)

Hello El Dedos:

I posted original thread; can't provide any more conclusive info except what I experienced. I went to official vendor and shop where I purchased drone, they gave me velcro strap to keep batteries from popping out of chamber at great height (doesnt solve the bulging issue though).

DJI would not replace batteries as they were one month past warranty (*didn't know this)

Thus I sold my Mavic 2 at a loss, drone and two bulging but functional batteries for $680, as I did not want to risk another bulging issue. Disappointed, as I paid nearly $1400 for drone and spare battery less than a year ago.

Will try Autel robotics or Anafi as next drone til DJI solves bulging issue

Good luck in any case ;)

There are few reports of battery M2 faults on this forum, which suggests that either you had some from a bad batch or you mistreated them. Either way, it seems a little extreme to abandon the aircraft for that reason.

Well, I didn't abandon the drone: I sold it for the best price I could get as a used drone with two malfunctioning batteries. Which is sensible, not extreme.... IF I was going to sell - which I did - this was the time to do it, and for the best price I could get while providing full disclosure to buyer. As noted in previous thread though, I did fly it solely in tropical environment where DJI may not be accounting for higher than normal ambient temperatures, though this temperature class is approved by DJI. Batteries were handled well - never dropped, not stored in car or hot place etc. I think it may have something to do with DJI changing the auto-discharge function on their batteries/firmware; they are hardwire set to autodischarge at 10 days, without manual option to reduce to a more sensible 2-5 days autodischarge. Anyway - catch you later with the Mavic 3!

Well, I didn't abandon the drone: I sold it for the best price I could get as a used drone with two malfunctioning batteries. Which is sensible, not extreme.... IF I was going to sell - which I did - this was the time to do it, and for the best price I could get while providing full disclosure to buyer. As noted in previous thread though, I did fly it solely in tropical environment where DJI may not be accounting for higher than normal ambient temperatures, though this temperature class is approved by DJI. Batteries were handled well - never dropped, not stored in car or hot place etc. I think it may have something to do with DJI changing the auto-discharge function on their batteries/firmware; they are hardwire set to autodischarge at 10 days, without manual option to reduce to a more sensible 2-5 days autodischarge. Anyway - catch you later with the Mavic 3!

That's certainly a possible explanation. At high ambient temperatures it might have been better to discharge the batteries manually if not used for more than a couple of days.

You shouldn’t expect significantly better performance from a Mavic 3 or any other drone using LiION battery chemistry- at least not with respect to elevated temperature performance. It is well known that operating at 30 deg ambient will reduce cycle count by 20% with a 40% reduction at 40 deg C. This is a known characteristic of the chemistry, DJI batteries don’t use inferior cells however the application in a drone (discharge current demands) does make degradation (increased IR) more apparent.

Just posting this to see if anyone else had this occur: my original battery and a spare both started bulging slightly just AFTER the 6 month warranty mark. Normal use, only around 40 recharge cycles each, never dropped, never stored in hot places.

Is it planned obsolescence, a bad batch at the factory, or just coincidence? Just seems fishy the timing of it.

Anyone else get this? Batteries are still functional but obviously on their way out after about 40 recharge cycles each (*they are rated for 200 according to DJI's printed resources)

I got the same message.... I sent them photos of 6 batteries the bulged at almost the same time and all under 50 cycles! Where are the vents like the P4
V2 Batteries?

Keeping them discharged even under 3v usually don't make them bulge but the cell would be damaged to the point of reliability coming into question. Keeping them fully charged all the time will result in bulging especially in warmer environment.

Don't think they are actual vents on the P4 batteries as the battery is sealed and no gasses can escape.

You're far from alone (a search on here or the DJI forum will reveal that).
All 3 of my flymore kit batteries swelled and were unusable after 20 cycles...After 7 months of ownership.
DJI also refused to assist me at all.

There are *far* more people having this issue with M2 batteries than other drones. Either its a common manufacturing issue OR the stated operating parameters are wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54