DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 2 ENTERPRISE ALTITUDE ISSUES

grsimcox

Reactions
Good morning all,

We are using drones for bird scarring over a vineyard.

Im having some issues regarding altitude variations on a fleet of Mavic Enterprise 2s. We run 3 ME2's and all of them suffer the same issue. The drones will take off from the same home point for every mission, and fly out at the desired hight only for them to start climbing after about 4 -7 mins. On every landing they altitude read out would say anywhere from -20m to -75m when the drone is actually on the ground.

Our parameters:
Using waypoint missions
Waypoint altitudes set at 13 - 15m
Our RTH altitude 20m
Furthest distance reached approx 1200m
Flat land
Using smart controllers

What ive tried to solve the problems

I have tried calibrating the IMU
I have pressed all new firmware on to the drones and controllers
Have calibrated GPS
have calibrated the sensors whilst connected to the computer

We are lost as to what to do about the issues, weve spent countless hours trying to get these machines to work like they should and nothing is working.

Please if you have any ideas on what i can try that would be very helpful

Cheers,

GRS

I saw this posted before somewhere else, same issue but I cannot remember where I saw it or what or if there was a remedy, sorry. It just seems like the barometers are not staying calibrated... and it seems you have done every logical thing to fix it.

You are probably aware that they just releasing the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced shortly and it is going to be available with an RTK module - claimed +/- 5 centimeter location/flight precision. I would hate to think you would have to go to that extreme and expense just for an altitude issue.

I just noticed they make the Phantom 4 with an RTK module as well.... might be way cheaper than the new Mavic 2EA.

This same problem has been noted on the Mavic 2 Zoom so this is was software issue and because of that your choice is revert back to a former firmware update for for a future update.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 Enterprise in the Rain .

Reactions: Droniac
Good morning all,

Im having some issues regarding altitude variations on a fleet of Mavic Enterprise 2s. We run 3 ME2's and all of them suffer the same issue. The drones will take off from the same home point for every mission, and fly out at the desired hight only for them to start climbing after about 4 -7 mins. On every landing they altitude read out would say anywhere from -20m to -75m when the drone is actually on the ground.

Our parameters:
Using waypoint missions
Our RTH altitude 20m
Flat land
Using smart controllers

Have calibrated GPS

We are lost as to what to do about the issues, weve spent countless hours trying to get these machines to work like they should and nothing is working.

Cheers,

GRS

Are they actually climbing without reporting increased height, or climbing and reporting increased height, or not climbing and just reporting increased height?

Are they actually climbing without reporting increased height, or climbing and reporting increased height, or not climbing and just reporting increased height?
This sounds like the same operation that was asked about here a month ago:

But the person that started that thread gave up and never came back with further information that might have helped.

Reactions: sar104
Good morning all,

Our parameters:
Using waypoint missions
Our RTH altitude 20m
Flat land
Using smart controllers

Have calibrated GPS

Cheers,

GRS
Still having issues? Can get you in touch with DJI ,depending on your region I can find you someone to directly try help you.
I have been in touch with DJI GLOBAL Safety manager and also Oceania technical division. They are saying they have never heard of this. I find it hard to believe because I know of at least 50 others suffering this issue .Both over water and land With some wind and also calm. I do believe there is either a GPS OR other barometer or positioning problem .I don't get it with the old Original Mav 1 ,it has 2 Compasses.

They are saying they have never heard of this. I find it hard to believe because I know of at least 50 others suffering this issue
I find that interesting.
I've analysed the flight data from hundreds of flights from a wide range of DJI drones (but very few with the Enterprise Mavic), and never seen any similar issue before.
And I can understand that there may be occasional machines with faulty components, but having such a large number in one fleet seems very unlikely.
Both over water and land With some wind and also calm. I do believe there is either a GPS OR other barometer or positioning problem.
Land/sea, wind/calm should have no influence on the altitude sensors.
Likewise GPS is unrelated to the drone's altitude and positioning errors still wouldn't have any effect.

I don't get it with the old Original Mav 1 ,it has 2 Compasses.
There are thousands of members here flying a range of recreational DJI drones and reporting when they have problems.
Such incidents just don't show up.
Yours and the NZ winery are the only two.
I've seen partial data from the NZ case, but not enough to properly identify the issue and find the cause.
You've claimed many drones with the issue but haven't provided any supporting data so I can't comment more on the issue.

Hello all,

I have 2 Aircraft, a Mavic Pro and a Mavic Enterprise Dual, I also have the exact same issue with the Enterprise Dual where the altitude is displayed inaccurately.
I believe this is a software issue because it’s only started since the latest update to the Smart Controller/Aircraft.
Sometime ago I had a issue with the Smart Controller where the compass was constantly incorrect, it went to Holland at DJI’s request and came back with a note saying “please wait for new software” I did and the compass error is now cured, I think this is a similar situation all over again.
The Mavic Pro does not suffer any issues and lands accurately from where it took off as does the Enterprise Dual however when the E.D. lands it will be displaying a minus figure.

As DJI may say - please wait for new software.

Regards.

Hello all,

I have 2 Aircraft, a Mavic Pro and a Mavic Enterprise Dual, I also have the exact same issue with the Enterprise Dual where the altitude is displayed inaccurately.
How inaccurate is the displayed height?
Is it just a few metres, like every DJI drone or is it +/-10 metres or more?
The Mavic Pro does not suffer any issues and lands accurately from where it took off as does the Enterprise Dual however when the E.D. lands it will be displaying a minus figure.
The displayed height makes no difference to the drone's landing.
They land anywhere, higher or lower than where they launched.

More testing today 16May 21, the first landing touched down at -99 feet, the second was at -167 feet and the final flight of the day settled at -101feet
Last night I recalibrated the vision sensors and refreshed the S/w in the Aircraft and the Smart Controller to see if it cured anything.

More testing today 16May 21, the first landing touched down at -99 feet, the second was at -167 feet and the final flight of the day settled at -101feet
That sounds like a real issue.
Last night I recalibrated the vision sensors and refreshed the S/w in the Aircraft and the Smart Controller to see if it cured anything.
None of those would have any effect on the altitude displayed on your screen.
The only thing that would is to recalibrate the IMU.
If that doesn't get things back to +/- a couple of metres, there is a real problem with the hardware.

3Greens, although the question was not directed at you could you answer the questions Sar104's posed in post #4?

I would be interested to know if these discrepancies have any affect during the flight, primarily on the actual RTH height?
With my drones, Phantom 3, Mavic Mini, Mavic 2, I have occasionally noticed that landing point ( if it was the take off point ) is, sometimes, not at zero height but the 'errors' were not big enough to become a possible concern regarding RTH height.

I have occasionally noticed that landing point ( if it was the take off point ) is, sometimes, not at zero height but the 'errors' were not big enough to become a possible concern regarding RTH height.
It's common and normal for the barometric sensor to drift during the duration of a flight and be several metres out.
The drone doesn't have to land at the same level it was launched so that makes no difference at all to landings.

Thanks Meta4.
My concern with significant reported heights differences when landing at the take off point is whether or not whatever causes those differences would change the actual RTH height.
For example, I normally set the RTH height at home to clear a nearby tree by 5m to 10m. If differences of the magnitude reported by the 3greens do affect RTH height they could easily put my drone into that tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Meta4, I am aware of that.
My concern with significant reported heights differences when landing at the take off point is whether or not whatever causes those differences would change the actual RTH height.
For example, I normally set the RTH height at home to clear a nearby tree by 5m to 10m. If differences of the magnitude reported by the 3greens do affect RTH height they could easily put my drone into that tree.

Atmospheric pressure can change by up to ~ 0.8 kPa/hr in the vicinity of major weather systems, which would be 0.4 kPa over a 30 minute flight. That equates to a 40 meter change in altitude at sea level. But that would be an uncommon event - typically the pressure change over the duration of a flight should not exceed a few meters. What was reported above almost certainly indicates faulty hardware.

Ta, I have never seen rates of atmospheric pressure change quantified nor looked into the matter, thanks for that. I must admit I am surprised they can be so rapid or perhaps more relevantly, significant.

So.... and please correct me if I am wrong........a significant drop in air pressure during a flight could significantly reduce an RTH height realtive to the take-off/setting point?

Ta, I have never seen rates of atmospheric pressure change quantified nor looked into the matter, thanks for that. I must admit I am surprised they can be so rapid or perhaps more relevantly, significant.

So.... and please correct me if I am wrong........a significant drop in air pressure during a flight could significantly reduce an RTH height realtive to the take-off/setting point?
Correct - if the atmospheric pressure drops then the FC will think that it is higher than it really is. You need to add some margin on RTH height both for that reason and to account for uncertainties in terrain, vegetation and structure heights.

We had the same issue. Original drone had the issue where altitude was off by -30 feet. Got another drone from within company and it had same issue. That drone worked fine with it operator prior to swap. Sent the original drone off to DJI, who determined there was main circuit board issue and replaced the drone, The replacement drone is now doing the same thing right out of the box. Seems to be an issue with the controller or app since we have it happening to good drone and and replacement drone. Thoughts

We had the same issue. Original drone had the issue where altitude was off by -30 feet. Got another drone from within company and it had same issue. That drone worked fine with it operator prior to swap. Sent the original drone off to DJI, who determined there was main circuit board issue and replaced the drone, The replacement drone is now doing the same thing right out of the box. Seems to be an issue with the controller or app since we have it happening to good drone and and replacement drone. Thoughts
I'd need to see DAT files to answer that. Firstly from a simple power up, leave it on the ground for 10 minutes without starting the motors, and then shut it down. Secondly from a flight, taking it up to 400 ft and then back down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000