DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Flyaway Crash - Not Enough Force/ESC Error

So, it is possible then to conclude that a safest way to avoid issues with compass is to hand launch?
It's pretty easy to avoid launching from reinforced concrete surfaces and just be on the lookout for other steel items in tour launch area like pipes, bolts etc.

Last edited:
So, it is possible then to conclude that a safest way to avoid issues with compass is to hand launch?

No - however you launch the best solution is still to check that the aircraft orientation arrow is pointing in the right direction.

so yesterday I was making videos of my property (land) for sale and I was documenting some of the amenities (boat storage area, park/grill/gazebos/trailhead to the lake) and two different lots - no matter where I went the FC had a "Magnetic Interference - check the app)

I couldn't figure out what was causing this. none of the flights had issues. Can a headset (for phone) with magnetic tips (to help keep earplugs from swinging) and then there's my necknife made of metal (always wear this under shirt and never had this warning) create a Mag Interf?
There was also a warning on the DJI-GO4 tablet at the top...

Well it appears that it would be easy to isolate the issue by not wearing the headphones with magnetic tips and metal neckknife. Then observing the results. If Mag Interference is still presented one can use a handheld degaussing tool on the Mavic. To attempt clearing of any residual magnetism.

See this thread for comments on the potential benefits of degaussing.
Compass error. Permanent error (

Well it appears that it would be easy to isolate the issue by not wearing the headphones with magnetic tips and metal neckknife. Then observing the results. If Mag Interference is still presented one can use a handheld degaussing tool on the Mavic. To attempt clearing of any residual magnetism.

See this thread for comments on the potential benefits of degaussing.
Compass error. Permanent error ([email protected]

I don't think it is, I always wear them and had no problem until yesterday... would the interference be picked up by the FC or the AC?

The flight controller is within the Aircraft so the answer is yes. The interference (if there is some present) would be picked up by the aircraft itself. What you are referring to as the FC or Flight Controller is actually called the remote controller. :)

Mag Interference is the message presented on the Remote Controller when the Aircraft itself experiences outside magnetic fields that are present and can affect flight.

Don't know about the headset but the neck knife I wear has never caused an issue with my M2P. The only things that cause it problems is changing locations by 50+ miles or setting it down on concrete (which has reinforcing wire). I routinely take off from the foldable bed cover on the back of my truck without issue. Then again it's an all aluminum body ford.

I think yes or to use a tesla/mag meter you can download on the iPhone. I use that when in doubt. My iWatch definitely messes with mine, be careful with stuff on your wrists, even aluminum

So the MP2 has some bugs indeed. Almost like the first run of MP's that were rushed out. I wonder if this is the case here as well.. And we all know without the bird DJI isn't about to replace anything. With this file in my opinion they should without question.

So the MP2 has some bugs indeed. Almost like the first run of MP's that were rushed out. I wonder if this is the case here as well.. And we all know without the bird DJI isn't about to replace anything. With this file in my opinion they should without question.

Did you not make it as far as post #5 before replying?

Reactions: Elude
I'm a 25 yr FAA private pilot (SEL), 20 yr AMA RC aircraft (includes 8+ yrs /UAV) experienced pilot. Unknown about OP's experience, but given < 5 hrs Pilot In Command (PIC) experience with M2P, I'd call it pilot error. Poor training and decision making by PIC led to crash. 1st mistake, taking off without all available data (not enough GPS for fix) and canyons known to block GPS signals (Line of Sight) and unpredictable weather (wind conditions). You took off in high risk conditions. Canyons often can have unpredictable high wind conditions/gusts beyond the ability of aircraft/UAV to compensate. Did you perform due diligence of weather conditions and PIC reports of any unpredictable weather in your area?

Ultimately, if I were a FAA/NTSB investigator, based upon PIC/Flight Data Recorder information, I'd classify it fault of PIC.

Reactions: Elude
Well I live about an hour from crash site and thought after the snow melted I would go try to find your drone for you. Well it took about 4 hours of grid pattern searching the cliff side and some sweaty hiking but I found it! It was I"Believe" precisely where your pics said it slammed into the cliff side! I had no service and no gps on my phone way up there but just used your pics as a reference and was able to FINALLY find it. She's dry muddy and busted up and DOES NOT POWER UP, Battery is toast to and won't charge :-( I Hope to hear from you so i can see what you want to do, hopefully maybe you had DJI refresh! and time left on it. Send me a PM to verify it's you.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Well I live about an hour from crash site and thought after the snow melted I would go try to find your drone for you. Well it took about 4 hours of grid pattern searching the cliff side and some sweaty hiking but I found it! It was I"Believe" precisely where your pics said it slammed into the cliff side! I had no service and no gps on my phone way up there but just used your pics as a reference and was able to FINALLY find it. She's dry muddy and busted up and DOES NOT POWER UP, Battery is toast to and won't charge :-( I Hope to hear from you so i can see what you want to do, hopefully maybe you had DJI refresh! and time left on it. Send me a PM to verify it's you.
You sir are one heck of a good person!! Wow...

You sir are one heck of a good person!! Wow...
Thank you sir, I just know I would want my Drone back, I would go NUTS knowing it was up there and I had DJI refresh to get a new one after spending so much $$$$ on that darn thing! My OCD was also killin me knowing I could probably find it and Help someone out. Hope he reads this before his Refresh runs out.

Reactions: TR Ganey
There is another one to evaluate the local magnetic environment before take off as well.

Go into the settings in the app, advanced then Sensor Status.

Here you'll find a page with the IMU status and compass.

You'll see the green/yellow/red bar graphs with numbers. Assuming everything is correctly calibrated before this flight the compass should be single figures or at worst just into double figures green on the left. If the drone is near something magnetic such as rebar, electrical cabling, even some types of natural rock you'll see this number climb significantly higher and the graph move. This is visible well below the warning level generated. If you move the drone towards and away you can see this figure change in real time.

Part of the pre-takeoff checks should always be this screen to check the IMU status and the compass environment AND check the map orientation on top of that.
The map option is nice but isn;t always that useful. Some countries and areas dont allow offline caching of maps and in addition in some areas such as offshore there is little or no detail of small islands or rocks so you cant get a great idea of the nose orientation from that alone.

Reactions: Bala
Well, that's pretty cool of you - I hope it works out for him!

Well I live about an hour from crash site and thought after the snow melted I would go try to find your drone for you. Well it took about 4 hours of grid pattern searching the cliff side and some sweaty hiking but I found it! It was I"Believe" precisely where your pics said it slammed into the cliff side! I had no service and no gps on my phone way up there but just used your pics as a reference and was able to FINALLY find it......

Wow!!! This forum and its users are one awesome community!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake