DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Precision Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
People just don't understand that GPS doesn't give pinpoint accuracy and has a random small error in the positions it gives.
PL relies on the vision sensors and SoC computations, the GPS only brings it back to its approximate locaton.

GPS with centimeter accuracy only exists with RTK GPS, not found in consumer grade drones.

Phantom 4 RTK - Next Gen Mapping Solution - DJI

Recalibrating things won't have any effect on what causes RTH landing inaccuracy.
People just don't understand that GPS doesn't give pinpoint accuracy and has a random small error in the positions it gives.
Use RTH to land your drone 10 times and it could land at 10 slightly different positions that can be several feet apart.
Thats exactly my thoughts until yesterdays flights, its why I posted the thread i was genuinely impressed that ever landning was within a few centimetres

Thats exactly my thoughts until yesterdays flights, its why I posted the thread i was genuinely impressed that ever landning was within a few centimetres
Sometimes it will be close, sometimes not so close.
It's entirely random so a small number of landings doesn't prove anything.
Try again tomorrow and do 10 RTH landings and see what the pattern is like.

Reactions: fozzzy
Recalibrating things won't have any effect on what causes RTH landing inaccuracy.
Use RTH to land your drone 10 times and it could land at 10 slightly different positions that can be several feet apart.
I was avoiding bursting their bubble, and I didn’t think they would go along with that line of thinking anyway. I’m always amazed when I see posts about calibrating and how off some information can be. I make mistakes every day, but try not to pass it on to other people. The 51 video is what I thought was a good example of that.

Was there a particular reason for the imu calibration?
Absolutly there is a very good reason to calibrate the IMU periodically and it is so easy to do. The primary reason for calibrating the IMU is that the drone will not fly away towards China or some other previous location the IMU was calibrated for. If you calibrate it for you home location, then you are good to go. If you go miles away from the original calibrated location, i.e. 25 or more, you should probably re-calibrate as there is the risk that it will head toward the calibrated position if you hit return home.

Absolutly there is a very good reason to calibrate the IMU periodically and it is so easy to do. The primary reason for calibrating the IMU is that the drone will not fly away towards China or some other previous location the IMU was calibrated for. If you calibrate it for you home location, then you are good to go. If you go miles away from the original calibrated location, i.e. 25 or more, you should probably re-calibrate as there is the risk that it will head toward the calibrated position if you hit return home.

Are you getting confused with compass calibration, what you’ve described is compass related.;)

Well wether or not it was down to calibrating sounds like opinions vary hugely but another few flights today and all within centimetres of take off, the furthest off was around 35ish from the centee of the pad. Have I mentioned I love my m2pro [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Reactions: Rodcast
Well wether or not it was down to calibrating sounds like opinions vary hugely but another few flights today and all within centimetres of take off, the furthest off was around 35ish from the centee of the pad. Have I mentioned I love my m2pro [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

You have to realise that there are a few members of this forum who are pathologically opposed to the very idea of calibration or anyone who so much as suggests that it might be a good thing to do from time to time.

You are confusing the IMU with the compass.
And you've somehow confused calibrating the compass with setting a home point (which has nothing at all to do with the compass).
There's no need to recalibrate the compass because you move 25 miles or even 2500 miles.
You have to realise that there are a few members of this forum who are pathologically opposed to the very idea of calibration or anyone who so much as suggests that it might be a good thing to do from time to time.
You have to realise that there's a great deal of misunderstanding, myth and ignorance about the compass and what calibrating it actually does or when it might be needed.

when it might be needed
One thing regarding the compass is I believe there is some function in the firmware whereby every 30 days or so it needs a calibration, i.e. the Go4 app will ask regardless of what the state of compass is.

Reactions: spaceweasel
One thing regarding the compass is I believe there is some function in the firmware whereby every 30 days or so it needs a calibration, i.e. the Go4 app will ask regardless of what the state of compass is.
Yes ... that has been added for the Mavic 2
The reason for it is a mystery.

No there isn't I have had my mavic two years and a year for the spark i calibrated both out of the box and have never done it since!!! both AC have hundreds of flights.. Why would you ever think that?

No there isn't I have had my mavic two years and a year for the spark i calibrated both out of the box and have never done it since!!! both AC have hundreds of flights.. Why would you ever think that?

Because it's absolutely true - at least for the Mavic 2. See the following transcript of chat session with DJI support:-

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support. This is James. How may I help you today?

Hi James, with the Mavic 2 DJI Go 4 prompts to calibrate the compass every 30 days. Is this a permanent thing?

That's normal Peter especially when you go to a different location.

OK thanks James. Bye for now.

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support. Please contact us again if you have any questions.

Reactions: spaceweasel
Because DJI have done it for the Mavic 2 (only).

That's normal Peter especially when you go to a different location..
Unfortunately some DJI tech support operators are about the last people to rely on for accurate information.
Distance from anywhere has no bearing on compass calibration.

Maybe not, but many have encountered it and even tracked it in the logs.
Not all of us though. My original and replacement hasn't asked for it.

EDIT: just checked my flight logs, haven't reached the 30 day mark yet.
First flight for the replacement was 10/24.
The previous one might have crossed the 30 day mark, or might not. Might also be one of the few who's 'next calibration date' was far in the future.

Last edited:
Some people will only be convinced when they get the affected model and it happens to them. I wonder if they'll be contacting DJI for a defect when it does.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_