DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro and swimmingpool

Ninabeertje

Reactions
Who has experience with using the mavic 2 pro in enclosed public swimmingpools. I did a test flight with thd mavic air but this one crashed itself into a window. Besides water there is often a metal roof constructionand WiFi power transmitters. The mavic 2 pro uses a different kind of wifi connection then the mavic air so i hope there is less interference.
Maybe someone does fly often in swimmingpools and has some tips or tricks.

I like to make some recordings i doors without my diving gear to get the drone from the bottom at 3.20 meters

Who has experience with using the mavic 2 pro in enclosed public swimmingpools. I did a test flight with thd mavic air but this one crashed itself into a window. Besides water there is often a metal roof constructionand WiFi power transmitters. The mavic 2 pro uses a different kind of wifi connection then the mavic air so i hope there is less interference.

I like to make some recordings i doors without my diving gear to get the drone from the bottom at 3.20 meters

Can't answer the question but I've seen a pontoon accessory set for them. That might make things less prone to sinking! Good luck

Reactions: Ninabeertje

Your problem is going to be that the drone is cut off from GPS by the metal roof, and the downward sensors may not 'see' the surface of the water to keep altitude. You'll loose pretty much all of the stability features of the drone and will need to be 100% hands-on to keep it out of trouble ... As a general rule of thumb, the Mavic Pro & 2 Pro are an outdoors bird.

Your problem is going to be that the drone is cut off from GPS by the metal roof, and the downward sensors may not 'see' the surface of the water to keep altitude. You'll loose pretty much all of the stability features of the drone and will need to be 100% hands-on to keep it out of trouble ... As a general rule of thumb, the Mavic Pro & 2 Pro are an outdoors bird.
Is there a specific drone to fly indoors? I know i loose gps but with the sensors it should be less of a problem. I am more worried in signal loss liks i had with the mavic air

The visual sensors don't work over water, they assume the ground not to change and any change in image content they see to result from aircraft movement, but water has waves and the image constantly changes even if the drone is stationary. That's what throws it off.
You have to disable downwards sensors completely. Even better, use an aircraft that allows manually selecting ATTI mode like the Phantoms so it can be set to for sure never try to use either the moving water or the spotty GPS signals as reference. Or change the "normally inacessible" settings of the Mavic to allow for that.

What pontoons are those? Commercial or homemade?
Amazon also has these. I may order them and replace the "pool noodle" foam with water bottles. There are so many different sizes of sturdy lightweight bottles (the water at gas stations for example) that I should be able to find ones that fit the struts and should be lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Landing-Training-Floating-Bobber/dp/B07J31SS9V
https://www.amazon.com/Littleice-Landing-Extended-Training-Floating/dp/B07J3L71RZ

Amazon also has these. I may order them and replace the "pool noodle" foam with water bottles. There are so many different sizes of sturdy lightweight bottles (the water at gas stations for example) that I should be able to find ones that fit the struts and should be lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Landing-Training-Floating-Bobber/dp/B07J31SS9V
https://www.amazon.com/Littleice-Landing-Extended-Training-Floating/dp/B07J3L71RZ

The ones he posted looked, well, more finished than Styrofoam. (g)

I've flown my Mavic 2 Pro indoors over a pool. I've also flown it in an ice arena tracking a skater. I am away for Christmas. I will share the video when I get back home.

Reactions: Ninabeertje
I've flown my Mavic 2 Pro indoors over a pool. I've also flown it in an ice arena tracking a skater. I am away for Christmas. I will share the video when I get back home.
That's cool, but did you have GPS reception. The question is how will it do w/out GPS. With tracking in use indoors, even w/out GPS, the tracking function may keep it from wondering off.
And I guess also of concern is what happens if GPS drops in and out while indoors and over water. May not end up well.

Here is a small video of me testing my flying skills over a pool. I also filmed an ice skater in an indoor arena. I floated in the center of the arena and she performed on the outside of the rink. That one is tough need to do it again.

That's cool, but did you have GPS reception. The question is how will it do w/out GPS. With tracking in use indoors, even w/out GPS, the tracking function may keep it from wondering off.
And I guess also of concern is what happens if GPS drops in and out while indoors and over water. May not end up well.

I did not have GPS on either. My drone flew very well. I do have insurance.

I use my little spark indoors and it does very well . I can fly it from outside in my overhead door and the spark behaves very well . My shop is steel with hoists and lots of metal crap inside . My pro don’t like the shop and acts like a spoiled teenager . Whining and complaining-lol . I can fly the spark around the hoists and even under them when a truck is lifted up . Spark might not be good for much but it does well at this anyway .

Here is a small video of me testing my flying skills over a pool. I also filmed an ice skater in an indoor arena. I floated in the center of the arena and she performed on the outside of the rink. That one is tough need to do it again.

This is what i want. I know gps will not work and also i will fly at 3 or 4 meters high. I think i just will try it and see what happens

Reactions: dioscuriII
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31