DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 2 pro crash

Hawkmaster

Reactions
So i've been flying my drone about 6 months now, reasonably confident in the ac and my flying ability's. I did plenty of research
before my first flight(loved it !) and got part 107 certified not because i needed too, i wanted to know everything about flying.
I've always thought that vlos was'nt the best way to fly, but always do because its the law. Today during my second flight i was headed
out above a few trees towards a football field, watching it i saw it suddenly falling and tumbling. It was a quick find, but a mess, hard
fall about 90 feet, torn off leg, embedded with dirt.
I always video from take off to landing, but for some reason the last video is unsupported or corrupt and cant be viewed. Odd that
the last video is named DJI_0255 i also have 2 files named .DJI.0255.mp4.avc1 and DJI.0255.mp4.trinf that cant be opened and i
have never seen those type of files before.
I have DJI care, refresh but would like an opinion on what happened and why. For some reason i'm hoping it was my fault,. just because
i dont want to know that my 2k flying camera could hurt someone.
I've been an avid reader of these forums since i started and love all the advice and information available here.
Attaching airdata link and pic, appreciate any help to figure out what happened. Thanks much.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200425_165520.jpg
    thumbnail_20200425_165520.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Capture 1234.JPG
    Capture 1234.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 92
sorry for the loss of your drone when it crashed was it videoing at the time if it was then after it hit the ground then the video was not stopped before it turned off this can corrupt the recording put the sd card back in the drone and turn it on and the stored info should finish being saved on the SD card ,hopefully this will work

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Ouch, sorry for your loss, that would hurt, even with the Care Refresh ?
Nice setup, those ARC XL are bright, you probably had no trouble keeping it in sight during the fall !

but would like an opinion on what happened and why

Attaching airdata link and pic, appreciate any help to figure out what happened

There is no Airdata report link ?
If you wanted to post that, you may have either missed putting it in the post.

The flight analysis thread can help you do the report from Airdata (or Phantom Help).
Check here, and then upload the report from either as that will enable an analysis to be done.

Section 3. for finding and uploading the TXT.

Always good to know why things happen.

So i've been flying my drone about 6 months now, reasonably confident in the ac and my flying ability's. I did plenty of research
before my first flight(loved it !) and got part 107 certified not because i needed too, i wanted to know everything about flying.
I've always thought that vlos was'nt the best way to fly, but always do because its the law. Today during my second flight i was headed
out above a few trees towards a football field, watching it i saw it suddenly falling and tumbling. It was a quick find, but a mess, hard
fall about 90 feet, torn off leg, embedded with dirt.
I always video from take off to landing, but for some reason the last video is unsupported or corrupt and cant be viewed. Odd that
the last video is named DJI_0255 i also have 2 files named .DJI.0255.mp4.avc1 and DJI.0255.mp4.trinf that cant be opened and i
have never seen those type of files before.
I have DJI care, refresh but would like an opinion on what happened and why. For some reason i'm hoping it was my fault,. just because
i dont want to know that my 2k flying camera could hurt someone.
I've been an avid reader of these forums since i started and love all the advice and information available here.
Attaching airdata link and pic, appreciate any help to figure out what happened. Thanks much.

I can't see an AirData link in your post.

Thanks much omm, got the video, definite pilot era. It took a hard fall but still seems working, gimbal and camera seem unharmed.
Wondering if i should just pay for the fix or use refresh

Reactions: old man mavic
Ouch, sorry for your loss, that would hurt, even with the Care Refresh ?
Nice setup, those ARC XL are bright, you probably had no trouble keeping it in sight during the fall !

There is no Airdata report link ?
If you wanted to post that, you may have either missed putting it in the post.

The flight analysis thread can help you do the report from Airdata (or Phantom Help).
Check here, and then upload the report from either as that will enable an analysis to be done.

Section 3. for finding and uploading the TXT.

Always good to know why things happen.

@sar104 and others are the pros here with analysis, but it does seem you just flew it into those fine upper branches.
The left stick didn't come off full forward, and the little left yaw after the dramatic turn just kept it going that way.

Obstacle avoidance seemed to kick at it hit the branches, too late.
One really important thing to remember with DJI OA, is it isn't that good it will pick up fine branches, foliage free like those you crashed into, or really fine small leaves, unless closely bunched together.
Nor will they pick up overhead electricity or telephone etc cables.

See if sar104 can add to the above.

@sar104 and others are the pros here with analysis, but it does seem you just flew it into those fine upper branches.
The left stick didn't come off full forward, and the little left yaw after the dramatic turn just kept it going that way.

Obstacle avoidance seemed to kick at it hit the branches, too late.
One really important thing to remember with DJI OA, is it isn't that good it will pick up fine branches, foliage free like those you crashed into, or really fine small leaves, unless closely bunched together.
Nor will they pick up overhead electricity or telephone etc cables.

See if sar104 can add to the above.
Nothing mysterious here ... as said you started to apply max negative rudder input (Blue) at 676sec together with full positive elevator (Dark green) which made the AC yaw CCW with heading speed into the tree.

1587893545114.png

yes the good old tree lovely to look at especially in leaf,but deadly to our poor drones ,and 99% of the time when they meet ,the tree wins ,and we learn another lesson

just remember in sport mode you have no sensors to protect you. Actually I don’t rely on them anyway. Takes the fun out of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi