DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro crashed because it flew on its own and without user input !!

Ive just heard back from DJI and it was a compass error with the drone they are now sending me a new one out.
Can you post the recorded data from that flight?
It would be interesting to see what it shows rather than guessing.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.

Reactions: ff22
Wondering why DJI decided to use only 1 compass in the M2P/M2Z...

At least according to the "sensor state" tab.

Wondering why DJI decided to use only 1 compass in the M2P/M2Z...

At least according to the "sensor state" tab.

It must be due to the space saving on the Mavic I should imagine. It would be ideal to have two wouldn’t it. Better for mapping then also..

Since the MA they use the vision system as secondary heading reference. Avoids a single common event (magnetic disturbance) being able to disrupt both.

Storage they would abandon it. My MPP has 2 compasses. After a tree ate it and fell 40 ft or so one still worked and it would fly. I think the lack of redundancy is a mistake personally.

My drone was in tripod mode and connected to 12 satellite. All of a sudden it flew backwards about 30 meters in to a tree with no user input at all. Sent the drone back to DJI europe and they have said they will repair for free? so they are accepting responsibility. But my problem is, what happens next time the drone decides it wants to fly on its own and hits someone when i have no control over it. Surely DJI should replace the unit under warranty !! has anyone else had similar issues with the mavic 2. Thanks.
Hapened to me , compass error at about 300 M out and flew away for 2 miles until it ran out of juice and autolanded in the ocean. This happens to best tech available , its a risk ..but I’ve seen more ad more of these issues with the Mavic pro

Hapened to me , compass error at about 300 M out and flew away for 2 miles until it ran out of juice and autolanded in the ocean. This happens to best tech available , its a risk ..but I’ve seen more ad more of these issues with the Mavic pro

Compass errors area almost always due to taking off from a magnetically compromised location. Unfortunately no amount of tech is going to prevent that. It requires the pilot to check the heading before launching.

Reactions: Turn11
Correct - it cannot hold position if it doesn't know the direction it is facing because it doesn't know the relationship between the earth frame of reference and the aircraft frame of reference. GPS data will tell it that it is drifting (in the earth frame of reference) but without the compass data it doesn't know in which direction to apply thrust (in the aircraft frame of reference) to correct for the drift.

The problem described by the OP is more likely where it thinks it knows which direction it is facing, but is wrong. In that situation its attempts to hold position result in applying thrust in the wrong direction to oppose drift. Depending on the error in the yaw value it is using, that can result in toilet bowl motion (for errors around 90°) or linear flight in the wrong direction (for errors nearer 180°), or any combination of the two for intermediate values.
In this situation is it possible to apply opposite stick inputs to counter the unwanted movement? I'm assuming it can still receive commands & that the pilot has time to work out which stick commands are required. I'm thinking full left stick to gain altitude so as not to hit anything then map screen for orientation as you'd lose sight of it pretty quickly. After that a quick bit of trial & error to see which stick commands slow it down/reverse direction, you may end up with left being forwards etc but should be able to recover - if it'll take commands.

Only if the aircraft recognised the erratic condition and switched to ATTI mode. Otherwise it's a crapshoot since your stick commands will still be "navigation orders" but navigation does a random unpredictable mess, so in principle yes, but if you want to go forward you might need to give a left command, but 2 seconds later you need to give a right command and it's constantly changing.

That's why I like to reconfigure my machines to have access to manually select ATTI mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfc
I'm thinking full left stick to gain altitude so as not to hit anything then map screen for orientation as you'd lose sight of it pretty quickly.
How would the map display show you the orientation of the drone?

The compass will relative to magnetic north. At least close enough to get your bird back. Lower left as you look at your phone, tablet, or CS display.
Not when there's a compass error - isn't that what this discussion is about?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard