DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro flipped over on back (after calibration of sensors)

• Thread starter Deleted member 119592
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 119592

Day after calibrating sensors I flew under a bridge, when drone flipped over on back (video frame show leg upside down relative ground). I suspect I backed too close to structure. This happened at 6m height and without any warning. No visible marks on drone or propellers suggest a physical contact. Could calibrating backward sensors have failed? I am not sure I dare fly drone again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there fellow countryman, welcome to the forum :D ?

You wasn't close to the bridge structure as seen on the 3D picture ... crash market with a red X, the log indicated a roll angle change from +4,3 degrees before & 156,3 degrees during the crash (also pitch & yaw shifted rapidly). The chart further below covers that within the red frame. The log indicates that both Obstacle Avoidance & Obstacle Avoidance RTH was inactive ... sure you had them activated?

Think they had some wire or perhaps cabling air-attached in that spot ... did you go there after the flight to look?

Might also add that keeping the drone within visual line of sight will make it easier & not so daring to fly ... & also within the laws & regulation.

1583785120370.png

1583785140066.png

**EDIT**

Now when you got the movie clip in place ... it's easy to see what you hit, not a mystery at all, this with log indicated Obstacle Avoidance not active.

1583785849486.png

Last edited:
@martinmchugh ... checked your flight location a bit more, when talking about laws & regulations & to dare to fly.

To keep out of trouble I strongly recommend the Swedish Drone Map --> LFV Drönarkartan (RPAS, UAS, UAV) ... there you have the correct flight zones ... not in your GO4 app.

Look here ...

In the GO4 app DJI Fly Safe map says ... no zone what so ever.

1583786958048.png

But in reality ... and you were above 50m.

1583787014646.png

but the OP said "No visible marks on drone or propellers suggest a physical contact " .....
This is what's seen in the clip just parts of a second before the M2 flips ... no bird, just the corner of the new bridge foundation being constructed.

1583796889868.png

Reactions: JohnnyJ105
Do they actually self recover quite frequently, or is it just very lucky?

If the drone is not broken in the impact then it should be able to recover even if knocked upside down. In the video above, one of the front arms of that M2Z has folded back and yet it was still able to recover.

If the drone is not broken in the impact then it should be able to recover even if knocked upside down. In the video above, one of the front arms of that M2Z has folded back and yet it was still able to recover.
That's awesome. I've always been very worried about bird strikes ever since I had a flock of chickadees attacking my Spark a few years ago, and it seems a bird couldn't really damage a mavic 2, only knock it around unless it's like a hawk or eagle or something

Just to clarify, guys...I really suspected I backed into the bridge construction. But, I was under the impression there were supposed to be sensors all around the drone to warn, stop and hover if things got too tight. None of that happened. And, there are no physical damages to the drone nor propellers. If it backed into a steel construction surely plastic propellers with such high RPM's would shatter?
The first replier mentioned "The log indicates that both Obstacle Avoidance & Obstacle Avoidance RTH was inactive ... sure you had them activated? " I certainly had not turned anything off. However, the day before this flight I was asked by RC to calibrate sensors which I did. Maybe the calibration screwed things up? After the calibration was done I was asked to restart drone, so it seemed I performed it correctly. App Menu also tells me Forward and backward sensors are enabled.
Drone recovered and I regained control.

Attachments

• Mavic 2 visual navigation settings.png
    Mavic 2 visual navigation settings.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Not sure that any arm was folded back. And, if a collision happened, surely propellers would have shattered? Plastic at such high speeds are very brittle-

But, I was under the impression there were supposed to be sensors all around the drone to warn, stop and hover if things got too tight. None of that happened.
The M2P does not have a 360 obstacle avoidance. And even if it did, it would be poor judgment to totally rely on it.

@martinmchugh ... checked your flight location a bit more, when talking about laws & regulations & to dare to fly.

To keep out of trouble I strongly recommend the Swedish Drone Map --> LFV Drönarkartan (RPAS, UAS, UAV) ... there you have the correct flight zones ... not in your GO4 app.

Look here ...

In the GO4 app DJI Fly Safe map says ... no zone what so ever.

View attachment 96204

But in reality ... and you were above 50m.

View attachment 96205
However, it does say that no special permit is needed for drones weighing up to 7 kg. I think the Mavic 2 weighs 0.9 kg. And I wasn't flying much above 6 m when I had the accident.
I shall check out the Drönarkarta. Thanks.

Hi there fellow countryman, welcome to the forum :D ?

You wasn't close to the bridge structure as seen on the 3D picture ... crash market with a red X, the log indicated a roll angle change from +4,3 degrees before & 156,3 degrees during the crash (also pitch & yaw shifted rapidly). The chart further below covers that within the red frame. The log indicates that both Obstacle Avoidance & Obstacle Avoidance RTH was inactive ... sure you had them activated?

Think they had some wire or perhaps cabling air-attached in that spot ... did you go there after the flight to look?

Might also add that keeping the drone within visual line of sight will make it easier & not so daring to fly ... & also within the laws & regulation.

View attachment 96199

View attachment 96200

**EDIT**

Now when you got the movie clip in place ... it's easy to see what you hit, not a mystery at all, this with log indicated Obstacle Avoidance not active.

View attachment 96203
I cannot understand why Obstacle avoidance would be inactive. I did a Sensor calibration the day before this flight. Maybe it tampered with settings.

Attachments

• Mavic 2 visual navigation settings.png
    Mavic 2 visual navigation settings.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf