DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro gimbal fall off? Mavic 2 Pro only w/ Hasselblad camera.

Has your Mavic 2 Pro Hasselblad gimbal fallen off at the pitch motor?

• Not fallen off in over 10 flights

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Not fallen off in over 20 flights

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Not fallen off in over 30 flights

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Fell off in under 10 flights. Please describe below.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Fell off in under 20 flights. Please describe below.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Fell off in under 30 flights. Please describe below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Can confirm my Mavic 2 Pro arrived with the exact same markings on the back of the gimbal arm fresh out of the box. It looks like the gimbal arm contacts the standoffs for the lower vibration dampers during transport. The gimbal lock restricts movement forward but not back. It likely requires dropping/violent shocks for this contact to occur and this won't happen during flight in windy conditions.

Reactions: Former Member
Can confirm my Mavic 2 Pro arrived with the exact same markings on the back of the gimbal arm fresh out of the box. It looks like the gimbal arm contacts the standoffs for the lower vibration dampers during transport. The gimbal lock restricts movement forward but not back. It likely requires dropping/violent shocks for this contact to occur and this won't happen during flight in windy conditions.
that makes sense. I had not thought of the football effect from the fedex folks. There was a good size dent on the corner of my box. I think you have the solution to the puzzle.

Thanks for the info. Can I ask a few questions? Did any of these happen before you did the self repair?
  1. Did you get any gimbal motor overload error messages during or after startup?
  2. Did you hear any clunking noises from the gimbal after power up?
  3. Any squeals from the gimbal after power on?
  4. Have you tried a gimbal autocalibration to see if completes to 100%?

Thunder here are my answers to your questions:

1. No overload messages
2. No clunking or squeals heard in the 3-4 startups I did during version upgrades performed.

4. I did a full gimbal recalibration without issue. 100%

I took the bird out for a first flight and did not have any issues, ran through a hyperlapse session in free fly mode and then did a panoramic shoot. Inspected gimbal after flight and saw no rub marks visible. Is this a shipping issue? I’m not convinced having seen the wear / rub marks on the plastic spacers in rear of gimbal housing.
Hope that helps explain my experience.

Thunder here are my answers to your questions:

1. No overload messages
2. No clunking or squeals heard in the 3-4 startups I did during version upgrades performed.

4. I did a full gimbal recalibration without issue. 100%

I took the bird out for a first flight and did not have any issues, ran through a hyperlapse session in free fly mode and then did a panoramic shoot. Inspected gimbal after flight and saw no rub marks visible. Is this a shipping issue? I’m not convinced having seen the wear / rub marks on the plastic spacers in rear of gimbal housing.
Hope that helps explain my experience.

Thank you for the report. Do you think the factory could have sent it out that way, since you dont think it's a shipping issue?

I've had mine for about 24 hours. I've flown it 5 times for about 10 to 15 mins each time. I've even had it sitting in direct sunlight in 90 degree weather on cement for 10 mins or so before flight without over heating. My gimble doesn't appear to have any issues. However, I'll check for these abrasion marks in the morning. Overall, I'm quite happy with the performance and stability. One of my friends suggested I use the spotlight and active track so I can have an overhead light follow me around during yard work (during dusk) haha.

I am just guessing, but I guess the marks are from DJI reworking the gimbals, with other type of glue etc. So I think the marks is a good thing and tells you DJI have open it and tried to fix it.

Don't worry about it too much. These threads exist more as a way to demonstrate that these aren't really issues we have to panic about. Reported cases have not been particularly reliable.
Thanks joola your prob right.

It's on both sides, have no idea when it occurred (and did not check prior to initial flight. Could just be from bouncing around in shipping. I have to press on the gimbal a bit in order to force it to make contact, so would presume if occurring in flight would need to be during hard braking in sport mode.
Mine has the same issue. Looks like it was out of the box.
mike

For some reason, I am unable to submit my "vote" for this forum topic. However, I've flown mine around 15-20 times (with several flights being in the same day at different locations) and I've had no problems with the gimbal, marks on the gimbal, or overheating issues. (Knock on the largest piece of wood I can find haha)

Reactions: MrsTreat
Or...... it could be a simple hoax.

Hoax or not, I know one thing, I am so happy I didn’t go rushing to get one of these new shinny MP2. “Patience is a virtue” I once read that in a fortune cookie...or maybe somebody old like my grandma or someone said it to me. It has proven to be true nonetheless. I have two MP1, so I have no need to go rushing and buy an MP2. I’ll let all the kinks get worked out and then I’ll think about it.

Hoax or not, I know one thing, I am so happy I didn’t go rushing to get one of these new shinny MP2. “Patience is a virtue” I once read that in a fortune cookie...or maybe somebody old like my grandma or someone said it to me. It has proven to be true nonetheless. I have two MP1, so I have no need to go rushing and buy an MP2. I’ll let all the kinks get worked out and then I’ll think about it.
I thought that too. But this thing is quite impressive. I'm glad I bought it.

I thought that too. But this thing is quite impressive. I'm glad I bought it.

Oh impressive indeed. Imagine when all the kinks are worked out of it. I can then purchase my MP2 without a care in the world. It has to grow into MP1’s propellers sort of speak before I go purchase one. Since you have and MP2, happy flying and wish you luck.

If I believe the data from the "Cast Votes" it appears that 21% of the gimbals have fallen off. Can the same people who might be doing the fake "clickbait" alter the results but putting in fake failures? For the survey, there is no way to vet the credibility of the person who just clicks one of those choices. I could just click one right now, and I don't have an M2, right?

I really doubt that 21% of the gimbals are falling off. With any product production run, there is going to be a certain percentage of flawed devices. That's all part of manufacturing and why we have "One Year Warranty" on nearly everything, to catch those unfortunate ones. Owners who are unlucky enough to get "one" that is defective sometimes suggest that the whole production run is flawed. That's just not the case. I don't think 21% gimbal failure is accurate.

If I believe the data from the "Cast Votes" it appears that 21% of the gimbals have fallen off. Can the same people who might be doing the fake "clickbait" alter the results but putting in fake failures? For the survey, there is no way to vet the credibility of the person who just clicks one of those choices. I could just click one right now, and I don't have an M2, right?

I really doubt that 21% of the gimbals are falling off. With any product production run, there is going to be a certain percentage of flawed devices. That's all part of manufacturing and why we have "One Year Warranty" on nearly everything, to catch those unfortunate ones. Owners who are unlucky enough to get "one" that is defective sometimes suggest that the whole production run is flawed. That's just not the case. I don't think 21% gimbal failure is accurate.

I agree. That's why I asked anyone who had the problem to reply to the thread, bu so far, Im hearing just crickets from them.

I agree. That's why I asked anyone who had the problem to reply to the thread, bu so far, Im hearing just crickets from them.
Ok, good. I agree with you. Keeping an eye on this though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143