DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic 2 pro lost at sea. first flight brand new drone

troyboy333

Reactions
Hi, i flew my brand new manic 2 pro off my boat on a nice calm day. return to home flashed up due to being only enough battery to rth, i agreed. the battery started discharging quickly then it started to land. at this time the drone wasn't easy to locate on the screen or compare to reality so in other words i didnt know where it was. about1km from home it crashed into the water. (this was a replacement so i have flown before).

Data analysis say the wind was too strong hence the fall short of home point and the rapid discharge.

After applying some pressure dji have offered me 30% discount off a new drone but there prices are high and they dont have payment plans. i wanted a repalcement but they wouldnt budge over the 30% discount.

Doers anybody know what options i have?

Regard's,
Troy

Hi, i flew my brand new manic 2 pro off my boat on a nice calm day. return to home flashed up due to being only enough battery to rth, i agreed. the battery started discharging quickly then it started to land. at this time the drone wasn't easy to locate on the screen or compare to reality so in other words i didnt know where it was. about1km from home it crashed into the water. (this was a replacement so i have flown before).

Data analysis say the wind was too strong hence the fall short of home point and the rapid discharge.

After applying some pressure dji have offered me 30% discount off a new drone but there prices are high and they dont have payment plans. i wanted a repalcement but they wouldnt budge over the 30% discount.

Regard's,
Troy
30 % off is not to bad a discount from DJI

Your other option is to make Payments using Affirm which is a fantastic system to use as they self remind you to make payments and the whole process is easy.

You might also want to consider a Rescue Jacket for your next Drone since you have the boat
its a perfect blend .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain / Snow and land on Water.

You say you took off on a "nice calm day" yet the data analysis says "the wind was too strong", I am wondering why you make no comment about the contradiction.
Did the wind pick up whilst it was in the air and/or how high did you fly?
How long had the drone been in the air before the warning flashed up?
How full was the battery when you took off and how long before the flight was the battery charged?
How far away was the drone when the warning appeared?
Was the boat moored or moving?
If you have the flight logs it might be useful to post them, see DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying from a boat introduces a few additional complications to those involved with flying from land.
particularly anything related to RTH.
The drone would have recorded a home point at the location where you powered up.
As you sailed further the drone is watching battery level and the distance you've come from where you launched.
Even with the drone close to the boat, you could receive a warning that the battery level was only sufficient for teh return to home because it's thinking that home is back some distance.
RTH will take the drone back to where you were when you launched.
All that is prevented by resetting the home point as you sail, to keep it close to the boat.

You can get an independent analysis of your flight data to see if DJI's assessment is correct and also to understand better what happened to help you avoid a similar situation in future.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

It seemes that, in addition to other comments, you were beyond VLOS... often a big pilot error, especially over water.
Were you at anchor, drifting or actively moving? In the latter 2 cases it would not have come home to you on RTH.

one rule I use is fly out against the wind and fly home with it

Sailing with the wind gives you the impression there is no wind so, be careful with those 'calm' days. Sry for yr loss.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

As others have stated, 30% is a very generous offer when DJI probably wasn't even at fault. I'd take that 30% and go buy a new one quickly.

good luck and SAFE flights :)

Allen

I've never changed my position in relation to my take-off point....but isn't that what dynamic HP is for??
From the DJI forum:

"Dynamic home point ... If you are using a GPS enabled phone or tablet then you home point will be the location of that device. It is updated via software every two seconds. If enabled don't stand under a tree or power lines. "

Why didn't you cancel the RTH and bring it to your position manually? All the calculations it does to determine RTH are invalid if you aren't at your original take-off point.

After the last firmware update, my Zoom had an issue and I got the wind warning message, even though there was no wind. IMU calibration fixed that up.
Not to flog a dead horse, but taking a new drone out over water for a first flight is not the best way to see if you got a dud battery or faulty drone. If there was a sudden, rapid discharge, sounds like the battery may have been a dud.

Did you update everything before going out...battery, controller, bird?

Good luck!

"Dynamic home point ... If you are using a GPS enabled phone or tablet then you home point will be the location of that device. It is updated via software every two seconds. If enabled don't stand under a tree or power lines. "
How do you access this "Dynamic home point"?
There is no dynamic home point in DJI Go 4.
You can only reset the location of the home point to the current location of either the controller or the drone.
It does not continue updating over time.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS