DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Mini 3 Pro

I own the Mavic 2 Pro and I also considering the change to Mini 3. Below is a comparison of the two drones, as per my view:

Pros of Mavic 2:
+Mavic 2 definitely provides more confidence when flying in windy areas.
+Higher max speeds
+The camera system with the variable aperture makes it easy to properly expose shots especially when recording. Variable aperture is only provided to Mavic 3 series.
+More video/photo modes (i.e. 10bit video, HDR photos)
+The GO4 app and the remote seems to provide more manual controls for those interested
+More sensors but these do not work in all modes (for example lateral sensors only work with POI and Active Track)

Pros of Mini 3:
+The size/weight is unbeatable making it a great advantage for those who want to travel light
+4K60 video mode and higher bitrate (150Mbps in specs)
+The image/video quality seems to hold pretty well compared to more expensive DJI siblings.
+Newer Activetrack and Smart modes (i.e. Mastershots, APAS 4.0) (only valid for those who will use them)
+Price of the drone makes it a good value for money option
+Accessories (i.e. batteries) are more affordable compared to Mavic 2
+Longer flight time

I hope I didn't miss anything.
I am personally waiting to see more reviews of Mini 3 from people who actually paid with their own money.

There is an overheating issue with Mini 3, which may be solved in firmware but may be not. We'll see.

As I said, I am considering to make the change, mostly because of the size of Mavic 2, but I do hope image/video quality won't be degraded too much.
One addition I'd add to your Mini 3 Pros and this is dependent on where you live is that the sub-250g weight means the drone has less regulations. in the UK (and I think Europe?) the Mini 3 Pro will remain in the less restricted A1 category next January whereas the Mavic 2 Pro even with an A2 certification will drop back to the more restrictive A3 category in January. Most of the time this doesn't bother me as I fly in rural areas so the M2P is great but there's been a few times it would have been handy to have an A1 category drone and it might be easier to carry the drone at other times where perhaps I wouldn't have taken the M2P.

I'm wanting to press the button on a Mini 3 purchase as I think it could be a useful little drone alongside the M2P especially since I've gone off the M3P but thinking I should wait and see how people get on with them.

Last edited:
D
If you want more image quality and just get the Air 2S. Is the drone I recommend hands down. Super capable and has a very good price. The Mavic 3 does not do waypoints, Full Autonomous flight (onboard missions). Also the Mavic 2 pro software is superior. I really like my Mavic 2 Pro over the Mavic 3 in many things.

Is just a tank.
Does the Mavic 2 Pro do waypoints and full autonomous flight? I don't even know since I always flight manually. But that would be a downgrade if it was offered in the Mavic 2 Pro and not on the Mavic 3.

By "software", do you mean the DJI GO 4 App?

I would be interested to know why you prefer the Mavic 2 Pro over the Mavic 3 unless if it is for these specific reasons mentioned before.

Reactions: SCCooper
I own the Mavic 2 Pro and I also considering the change to Mini 3. Below is a comparison of the two drones, as per my view:

Pros of Mavic 2:
+Mavic 2 definitely provides more confidence when flying in windy areas.
+Higher max speeds
+The camera system with the variable aperture makes it easy to properly expose shots especially when recording. Variable aperture is only provided to Mavic 3 series.
+More video/photo modes (i.e. 10bit video, HDR photos)
+The GO4 app and the remote seems to provide more manual controls for those interested
+More sensors but these do not work in all modes (for example lateral sensors only work with POI and Active Track)

Pros of Mini 3:
+The size/weight is unbeatable making it a great advantage for those who want to travel light
+4K60 video mode and higher bitrate (150Mbps in specs)
+The image/video quality seems to hold pretty well compared to more expensive DJI siblings.
+Newer Activetrack and Smart modes (i.e. Mastershots, APAS 4.0) (only valid for those who will use them)
+Price of the drone makes it a good value for money option
+Accessories (i.e. batteries) are more affordable compared to Mavic 2
+Longer flight time

I hope I didn't miss anything.
I am personally waiting to see more reviews of Mini 3 from people who actually paid with their own money.

There is an overheating issue with Mini 3, which may be solved in firmware but may be not. We'll see.

As I said, I am considering to make the change, mostly because of the size of Mavic 2, but I do hope image/video quality won't be degraded too much.

I agree with all your pros and cons. It seems that the image quality will be pretty similar between both drone despite the lack of a 1 inch sensor but it's a newer one with a wider aperture so it should do the trick.

I never noticed, do you mean that the lateral sensors on the Mavic 2 Pro don't work during manual flying?

Sounds like you have 3 options:
  • Stick with your Mavic 2 since it does most of the things you want and does them pretty well
  • Spend some cash and go for a mini3 (or air2s), and forfeit a few things you like, whilst gaining a few other new advantages. I think you've already got a fairly good idea of what is better and worse
  • Wait for another 6-8mths and see what newer, better, drone comes along next. Don't feel you have to up/downgrade to the latest drone every time a new one comes out.
Yes you're perfectly right, waiting a few more months to see what's coming next would be judicious but I'm afraid that the value of the Mavic 2 Pro will considerably drop and I would prefer to sell it not too late.

Reactions: scro
I agree with all your pros and cons. It seems that the image quality will be pretty similar between both drone despite the lack of a 1 inch sensor but it's a newer one with a wider aperture so it should do the trick.

I never noticed, do you mean that the lateral sensors on the Mavic 2 Pro don't work during manual flying?
Unfortunately they don't work in manual flight. They only work in APAS, ActiveTrack and POI, the automated flight modes (not sure for they way points).

Reactions: AroundTheWorld
Unfortunately they don't work in manual flight. They only work in APAS, ActiveTrack and POI, the automated flight modes (not sure for they way points).
They also work when in Tripod mode. ;) Which is "Manual flight"...Just Say'n :) When I get into position I click over to Tripod mode to allow subtle changes and tracking. And the Mavic 2 series is the only "recent" DJI to have 360° O/A as well even though limited.

Reactions: AroundTheWorld
D

Does the Mavic 2 Pro do waypoints and full autonomous flight? I don't even know since I always flight manually. But that would be a downgrade if it was offered in the Mavic 2 Pro and not on the Mavic 3.

By "software", do you mean the DJI GO 4 App?

I would be interested to know why you prefer the Mavic 2 Pro over the Mavic 3 unless if it is for these specific reasons mentioned before.
Yes, the Mavic 2 series..... Pro/Zoom/Enterprise all can fly Autonomously they use the Go4 App and the aircraft has the memory onboard and mission loaded to the Flight Controller Prior to flight. So Litchi is full function. All in All the M2P is still a great camera system for all but the discerning professional photog that "Needs" such outputs. I still film most of my flights in 1080 60. See at about 6:30 of linked video. :)

Hello,

I'm the owner of a Mavic 2 Pro that I would like to replace and I'm wondering if I should sell it to buy the Mini 3 Pro. Once sold, I would have to add 100 euros to get the new drone and the RC with the screen. Do you think it worth it?

Thank you for your advices
If you can afford it why not upgrade to the best-M3.

I need to say the Mavic 3 is an addition to the collection with new and nice specs but is not a replacement for the M2P. Is an upgrade in camera and video yes but not a replacement.

This is why I keep both drones. Well. I keep all my drones except the MM1. The DJI Mini2 is so great as well.

Yes, the Mavic 2 series..... Pro/Zoom/Enterprise all can fly Autonomously they use the Go4 App and the aircraft has the memory onboard and mission loaded to the Flight Controller Prior to flight. So Litchi is full function. All in All the M2P is still a great camera system for all but the discerning professional photog that "Needs" such outputs. I still film most of my flights in 1080 60. See at about 6:30 of linked video. :)
Oh thank you for the link. Great comparison video by the way. It's true that this feature should be implemented on the most expensive drone but to be honest, I have never really used it as opposed to the tripod mode.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Post number 3 has the correct answer and post number 33 is very questionable.

Oh thank you for the link. Great comparison video by the way. It's true that this feature should be implemented on the most expensive drone but to be honest, I have never really used it as opposed to the tripod mode.
And it even bears no appropriate C label nor does it have true vertical shooting, etc.
It's a splendid bird with a fantastic sensor but the software (DJI Fly) is not that great tbh or a good match for the quality of the hardware. The Mavic 3 feels rushed and a bit left alone, that's why I suspect another edition with the RC coming out later this year.

Either way, these are finally tools that need an idea and experience to reach your goal.
It's like buying the most expensive DSLM won't guarantee you inspiring pictures if you don't understand light, composing, framing, etc.

It's exactly the same with drones imho.

Reactions: Torque
In my mind the Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro is an “as well as” situation rather than an “either / or”

There are a few drones out there now with features I’d like and that the venerable M2P lacks but none that also have all of the positives it has. For something to actually replace the M2P for me it would need to have variable aperture which rules out the Mini and Air 2 series and host processed waypoint missions which rules out anything running on the DJI Fly app. I really use waypoints a lot both commercially and for fun and I like the fact that with the M2P it’s not going to abort and come home in the event of a brief disconnetion.

In fact I’ll probably pick up a second low hours unit on the second hand market eventually as a back up as I don’t think there’s going to be anything that replaces it totally. The old DC-3 is obsolete but it’s still relevant in some circumstances right?

That said, the spec list on the Mini 3 Pro has some pluses I’d like to employ so I’ll wait a few momths for all the “undocumented features” to be worked out and get one as well.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
In my mind the Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro is an “as well as” situation rather than an “either / or”

Same.
M2P camera system is superior in every way to the mini 3.
However the drone can only be operated in A2/A3 (50m from persons etc etc) in many places. This makes it impractical or illegal to fly around urban areas and even semi-urban areas a lot of the time.
Mini 3 under A1 has no such restriction so it allows me to fly where previously i couldn't albeit with a worse imaging system.

Lack of a variable aperture makes combined image and video flights pretty much impossible with a need for landing to add/remove a filter instead.

I also do a lot of orthos and photogrammetry and the M2P has (i) an SDK and (ii) waypoints. Given how slow DJI are getting SDKs or features out to other drones, even the M3 i wouldnt expect 3rd party apps to work on the mini 3 for at least a year, maybe never.

I waited and waited for the M3 to get waypoints and an SDK and still it hasn't and thats their flagship model in the series.

So Mini 3 is a "as well as" drone to allow me to fly in areas my M2P can't legally do. Its not a replacement - its a supplemental.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots