DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Mini 3 Pro

Hi, Welcome to the forum!

See post #6 of this thread - the OP was concerned about wind resistance, and the higher the top speed of the drone the less likely it is to get blown away and lost in the wind. The new mini 3 has a lower top speed than the Mavic 2 Pro so would get blown away sooner by strong wind.

According to DJI this is false

• Sad
Reactions: scro
According to DJI this is false
Except, according to DJI, it's true. Please carefully read what I wrote and my specific word choice.

The Mavic 2 pro has a top speed of 72kph
The Mini 3 pro has a top speed of 57kph

Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?

I've deliberately not used the quoted "wind resistance" figures because they are ambiguous, and, note especially for the M2P, that DJI resorted to a range rather than an exact value, which corresponds to level 5 on the Beaufort scale. The Mini 3 is also rated for level 5, so from that we could conclude they have the same wind resistance rating.

I'm not focusing on the top speed because it's the "only spec advantage the pro 2 has". I've highlighted it specifically because it is very relevant to one of the OP's concerns. Sure, you might not get great video in a 65kph wind from either drone, but at least one of them won't get uncontrollably blown away and potentially out of signal range.

Reactions: Torque
Except, according to DJI, it's true. Please carefully read what I wrote and my specific word choice.

The Mavic 2 pro has a top speed of 72kph
The Mini 3 pro has a top speed of 57kph

Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?

I've deliberately not used the quoted "wind resistance" figures because they are ambiguous, and, note especially for the M2P, that DJI resorted to a range rather than an exact value, which corresponds to level 5 on the Beaufort scale. The Mini 3 is also rated for level 5, so from that we could conclude they have the same wind resistance rating.

I'm not focusing on the top speed because it's the "only spec advantage the pro 2 has". I've highlighted it specifically because it is very relevant to one of the OP's concerns. Sure, you might not get great video in a 65kph wind from either drone, but at least one of them won't get uncontrollably blown away and potentially out of signal range.
You know what Dji says and I merely stated this.

“Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?”

Which drone will have the gimbal tilted down with props in the shot?
Hint: it is not the mini 3 pro ;-)

Last edited:
You know what Dji says and I merely stated this.

“Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?”

Which drone will have the gimbal tilted down with props in the shot?
Hint: it is not the mini 3 pro ;-)
Which bit of what I said in post #60 was actually false, according to DJI?

I note you avoided answering the key question I asked, and then tried to steer the discussion away from it by raising a new topic about gimbal articulation and propeller positioning relative to the camera. That's a common technique politicians use when they get asked a question they're too embarrassed to answer.

However, your response does paint a comical picture in my mind😃:

Mini3P owner and Mavic2P owner head out together in a 65kph wind to fly their drones. They both take off and get up to about 10m off the ground. At this point the Mavic2P is leaning heavily into the wind but holding position and is able to take a few pictures and some video. The drone has its rear quarter into the wind so the gimbal can be happily pointing straight ahead and no props are in the shot. The pilot then brings the drone down, lands and packs his drone away. He then looks over to see where his friend with the Mini3P has gone...

Meanwhile the Mini3P is steadily getting blown downwind towards a row of trees and the pilot can't bring the drone back towards him but he's not worried, because he's fully confident that he can point the camera up in the sky and get a few photos of it without the props getting into view. While he's busy taking his pictures and a bit of video of the sky, the drone crashes into one of the trees and tumbles towards the ground. The impact with one of the lower branches on the way down dislodges the gimbal and breaks one of the arms such that the props are hanging in front of the camera, which is now angled down towards the ground. One of the photos ends up being of the ground, with the broken arm and props mostly in view.

So... which drone has the gimbal tilted down and props in the shot?

DJI has the wind ratings on their website.

repeat your story but now with 20km/h winds which is actually normal. You still believe M2P will produce better footage? As it has better wind resistance according to your logic.

a large percentage of users on this board would claim the above does not exist or that they never noticed it btw

DJI has the wind ratings on their website.

repeat your story but now with 20km/h winds which is actually normal. You still believe M2P will produce better footage? As it has better wind resistance according to your logic.

a large percentage of users on this board would claim the above does not exist or that they never noticed it btw
Questions still remain unanswered:
- Post #63: Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?
- Post #66: Which bit of what I said in post #60 was actually false, according to DJI?

Are you not comfortable with answering these questions?

I do believe far more users here are aware of this gimbal "quirk" than you make out or want to believe. However, it's largely a non-issue for them as it only really tends to manifest itself when you're flying fast, in windy conditions or with the gimbal pointing straight forward or even slightly up. I very rarely have the gimbal pointing straight forward or up because for me the whole point of using a drone is to get that different view point of looking down from above. I became aware of the gimbal jump issue on about my 3rd flight over, 2 years ago - it's nothing new to me and also overwhelmingly not an issue for me.

So, to humour your request, here's the same story, but with 20kph winds:

Mini3P owner and Mavic2P owner head out together in a 20kph wind to fly their drones. Since the wind is fairly calm they are joined by 2 more pilots: one with a Mavic Mini (aka mini1) and the other with a Tello. They all take off and get up to about 10m off the ground. At this point the only drone that looks like it is struggling in any way is the Tello, but all 4 are holding position reliably and can be flown around. They all take some pictures and video, fly about a bit and then land. Afterwards they all check their photos and video and are all very happy with the results. No props in view, no drooping gimbals spoiling their framing. The only drone that suffered in any way was the Tello because it has no gimbal and the drone tilt angles were beyond what the limited electronic stabilisation was able to correct for.

The point being, at low wind speeds wind resistance becomes largely irrelevant in the same way that the top speed of a car is irrelevant when driving through a low speed urban environment.

I sold my Mavic 2 Pro a few weeks ago, mainly because the sale price will significantly reduce the closer we get to C classing, and I had just received a brand new refresh unit, so I wanted to get the most back. I’ve now purchased the Mini 3 Pro and it’s clearly a winner for DJI. Yes it does have some slight limitations i.e. non variable aperture, but it does have some great plus points, the 249 gram weight

I find myself now taking this drone out everywhere I go, and able to take off in more locations as it’s not so restricted. Honestly, it’s one beast of a drone and I’ll gladly fly the heck out if this until C-Class drones start being released. I’ve been able to take some absolute cracker photos and videos, and it’s superb at low light.

Last edited:
Reactions: test2000Anafi
“as it only really tends to manifest itself when you're flying fast, in windy conditions or with the gimbal pointing straight forward or even slightly up.”

Windy is 20kph and 65kph? Looks like you answered your own question

Different beasts in my opinion.

The M2P is superior in most ways, but the best drone is the one you have with you and I am more likely to be taking the Mini 3 with me speculatively than the M2P. Add to that the sub 250g makes a huge difference to where you can legally use it in the UK/Europe.

I now own both and don't see me getting rid of either any time soon

“as it only really tends to manifest itself when you're flying fast, in windy conditions or with the gimbal pointing straight forward or even slightly up.”

Windy is 20kph and 65kph? Looks like you answered your own question
The list of unanswered avoided questions remains:
- Post #63: Which drone will fare better in a 65kph wind?
- Post #66: Which bit of what I said in post #60 was actually false, according to DJI?

The quote you used doesn't answer either of these, so could you please clarify what question of mine you think I answered with it? Or, will the preceding question have to get added to the growing list of questions you're not prepared to answer?

Is "Windy is 20kph and 65kph?" supposed to say that 20kph counts as windy conditions?

Dji does not list top speed as wind resistance, this is why your post is misleading.

I would say the mini 3 pro fares better as it will still produce usable footage in extreme winds. Not to mention 4K60.

As to why anybody would fly in 65kmh winds which would count as a storm?
People who crash their drones often probably

Dji does not list top speed as wind resistance, this is why your post is misleading.

I would say the mini 3 pro fares better as it will still produce usable footage in extreme winds. Not to mention 4K60.

As to why anybody would fly in 65kmh winds which would count as a storm?
People who crash their drones often probably
So it's gone from being false to merely misleading, and only then misleading in the opinion of select few.

Producing amazing 4k60 footage while getting uncontrollably blown away doesn't count as faring better in my book, especially if you need to climb a tree to retrieve your drone and SD card with said amazing footage.

As a self-nominated experienced pilot you'll know that wind speeds at altitude can be significantly higher than at ground level. Sure, 65kph airspeed at ground level would be regarded as a storm, and airspeeds at altitude would be even higher - not ideal flying conditions for any drone, even ones with a wind-defying gimbal. Wind speeds of 20kph on the ground could easily increase to 65kph at altitude. The 65kph winds point was far more relevant than you imply.

I think this subthread has stopped contributing usefully to the main thread so I'm going to cease my input to it.

D

Does the Mavic 2 Pro do waypoints and full autonomous flight? I don't even know since I always flight manually. But that would be a downgrade if it was offered in the Mavic 2 Pro and not on the Mavic 3.

By "software", do you mean the DJI GO 4 App?

I would be interested to know why you prefer the Mavic 2 Pro over the Mavic 3 unless if it is for these specific reasons mentioned before.
Hope you don't mind me giving an answer. Yes, M2P does autonomous flights, and works with 3rd-party apps like dronedeploy and pix4dcapture. For "107" photogrammetry work, you need the ability to interface with apps like those.

Mavic mini 3 pro and the Mavic 3 can't do it, because DJI hasn't released the SDK(software dev kit) that would allow the connection to happen. So, if you fly professionally, and photogrammetry is part of your workflow, you can't use either for that kind of work. But the M2P works just fine :)

So it's gone from being false to merely misleading, and only then misleading in the opinion of select few.

Producing amazing 4k60 footage while getting uncontrollably blown away doesn't count as faring better in my book, especially if you need to climb a tree to retrieve your drone and SD card with said amazing footage.

As a self-nominated experienced pilot you'll know that wind speeds at altitude can be significantly higher than at ground level. Sure, 65kph airspeed at ground level would be regarded as a storm, and airspeeds at altitude would be even higher - not ideal flying conditions for any drone, even ones with a wind-defying gimbal. Wind speeds of 20kph on the ground could easily increase to 65kph at altitude. The 65kph winds point was far more relevant than you imply.

I think this subthread has stopped contributing usefully to the main thread so I'm going to cease my input to it.

I find it funny that you would focus on this weird hypothetical scenario. Mavic 2 Pro in 65kmh winds has an airtime of merely minutes. Literally minutes. So in the hypothetical scenario that somebody wants to fly a drone for a few minutes in a storm, people should buy on old, obsolete drone without the ability to even shoot in 4K60.

If I was forced to fly in a storm and I had both an Mini 3 Pro as well as Mavic 2 pro, I would also choose the Mavic 2 Pro. I would choose to sacrifice it.

I find it funny that you would focus on this weird hypothetical scenario. Mavic 2 Pro in 65kmh winds has an airtime of merely minutes. Literally minutes. So in the hypothetical scenario that somebody wants to fly a drone for a few minutes in a storm, people should buy on old, obsolete drone without the ability to even shoot in 4K60.

If I was forced to fly in a storm and I had both an Mini 3 Pro as well as Mavic 2 pro, I would also choose the Mavic 2 Pro. I would choose to sacrifice it.
Will you grow up? You are like a child in the playground "My dad can beat up your dad".
The Mini 3 also has a flight time measured in minutes. Or is this some other crap you're planning to post about how the Mini 3 has a flight time measure in hours.

Will you grow up? You are like a child in the playground "My dad can beat up your dad".
The Mini 3 also has a flight time measured in minutes. Or is this some other crap you're planning to post about how the Mini 3 has a flight time measure in hours.

It’s around 6 minutes is what I meant when you fly in a hypothetical 65kmh storm.
”Lets fly my Mavic 2 Pro in a 65kmh storm for about 6 minutes before it force lands!”

My point has always been, which drone produces useable footage when flying in ‘windy conditions‘ ?, windy conditions being the situation outlined in this very video by DJI:

Flying is sports mode or windy conditions is not a hypothetical scenario btw, flying in a 65kmh storm is.

The M2P is superior in most ways, but the best drone is the one you have with you..."
And this is why I've been contemplating getting the Mini 3. I go on documentary shoots all over the USA, and there are times when the Mavic 2 Pro doesn't quite fit into my luggage. If anything, that should tell you how packed my Pelican cases can get, because the Mavic 2 Pro is a very compact drone. If I had the Mini 3, I have a feeling it would be the drone I reach for on the majority of my productions.

That all being said, I really will miss the adjustable aperture. Outside of the obstacle avoidance sensors, I think that's honestly been my favorite feature that DJI has ever released on a drone.

I currently have the 1st gen RC Pro controller for my Mavic 2 Pro. Does anyone know if that will that work with the Mavic Mini Pro?

Reactions: fRog2
Smart controller v1 wont work with the Mini 3 Pro and likely never will - its Occusync 2 not 3.

Like you ive got one but DJI seemed to abandon support for it a few years ago which is irritating.

Like you i have a Mavic 2 Pro as well, the Mini 3 video is potentially better quality (less compression) but the stills are nowhere near as good.
But the Mini 3 pro i can legally fly in places my M2P cannot hence its a choice of get a shot vs no shot at all.
So its a good supplement.

Reactions: fRog2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078