DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom Crashed

faj442

Reactions
Hi, I was flying my mavic 2, it went to around 50 M from home point. I felt the Mavic unresponsive so I called it back- on the way back the controller showed obstacle ditected and next thing I saw is that mavic move by itself and crashed into the building nearby.

Flight record

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-28_[14-24-03].txt
    188.9 KB · Views: 55
You took off with just 5 satellites located, which is not enough, so you struggled to maintain GPS lock for any of the flight, and lost it completely at 1:58.
You encountered multiple obstacles both around and above the craft, which it attempted to avoid...

At 10 seconds in you had a compass data exception.
At 1:20 the craft won't let you ascend because it doesn't have a GPS fix and is still waiting for satellite recovery. Even the 7 sats you had at this point were apparently not enough.
At 1:57:9 you had motor over-current warning - did it first contact the building here ?
At 1:58:7 a motor became obstructed, presumably because it crashed.

Where were you flying, because the log indicates you were 50 miles off the coast of Equatorial Guinea, where I can't see any buildings, or indeed any land !

Last edited:
Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
You took off with just 5 satellites located, which is not enough, so you struggled to maintain GPS lock for any of the flight, and lost it completely at 1:58.
You encountered multiple obstacles both around and above the craft, which it attempted to avoid...

At 10 seconds in you had a compass data exception.
At 1:20 the craft won't let you ascend because it doesn't have a GPS fix and is still waiting for satellite recovery. Even the 7 sats you had at this point were apparently not enough.
At 1:57:9 you had motor over-current warning - did it first contact the building here ?
At 1:58:7 a motor became obstructed, presumably because it crashed.

Where were you flying, because the log indicates you were 50 miles off the coast of Equatorial Guinea, where I can't see any buildings, or indeed any land !

Thanks,

I was flying in Hongkong. Apparently, the remote didn't show any red warning. it was ok to take off.
it said ready to go "vision" - and no compass warning

At 10 seconds- the compass data exception. ( can't see a reason for this to happen)
At 1:57:9 - yes think it was the first contact. as it flipped and still rotated in the ground after fall for 2 seconds
from your judgment Do you think it's piolet fault or DJI under warranty issue?

It's difficult to know what is at fault here without a lot more specific information about where you were flying. 'Hong Kong' doesn't tell us much ! If, for example you were in the middle of a crowded city then your GPS and control signals would have been vulnerable to ghosting, WiFi interference and degradation from all the buildings around which would suggest this is not a sensible place to fly and pilot error looks likely.

If, on the other hand you were in a countryside area free from such signal degradation possibilities, then we might have more reason to suspect the craft was in error.

Reactions: Hpacura

Ready to go - Vision precisely means that GPS is not available at this point and the only navigation help you have is the vision system that works only up to about 10m above ground, so it's up to you to stay within those limits and know that if you don't it wil fall back to ATTI mode with no position/navigation help and with full responsibility on you to maintain position/course.

So yes pilot error.

Ah yes, just seen the 'ready to go - Vision' message. I agree that's a misleading message, but it is one covered in the manual, and DJI will probably say that you should never have taken off until you had a full GPS lock.

Last edited:
IMG_0865.JPG

This is the location I was flying, there are buildings nearby, but i was flying on an inhabited mountain trail.

PS - I'm covered with DJI care. But wanted to confirm if it's an warranty issue or not. As this is my second fail of mavic 2

I have been flying spark for 2 years never had any issues. Zero fail, even in no gps mode it was steady as a mountain.

I regret my mavic purchase. As i don't feel the fun of flying, having said that the camera is pretty good.

Reactions: SRTkid24
@sar104 @BudWalker can you have a look at the files please?

Unfortunately there is not much to be said here. Taking off surrounded by 100 m tall buildings and thick tree cover is always going to be tricky. You launched the flight with only 5 satellites locked and a GPS health of zero - in other words the only positional system operating was vision. There were also some compass errors, just to compound the problems, indicating that your takeoff location likely had magnetic interference.

If you want to post the mobile device DAT file then some more detailed analysis would be possible, but the bottom line is that you should never have taken off without fully understanding the limitations of flying without GPS, which it is clear that you did not.

Thanks,

I was flying in Hongkong. Apparently, the remote didn't show any red warning. it was ok to take off.

At 10 seconds- the compass data exception. ( can't see a reason for this to happen)
At 1:57:9 - yes think it was the first contact. as it flipped and still rotated in the ground after fall for 2 seconds
How is "Ready to go - Vision" in yellow misleading? Green means all good, yellow means caution, there's a less than optimal condition present. By the way, constant high wind warning will also be in yellow.

How is "Ready to go - Vision" in yellow misleading? Green means all good, yellow means caution, there's a less than optimal condition present. By the way, constant high wind warning will also be in yellow.

It's misleading because in some cases it tells beginners that it's fine to take off when it's not, as perfectly demonstrated here ! DJI could avoid these cases by simply changing it to say 'Acquiring GPS please wait', or similar... don't get me wrong - of course I think every new user should read the manual, browse the forums and be aware of such things before they fly, but we have to accept that a certain percentage just don't, or miss the information when they do !

HI all,

I was flying spark before upgrading to Mavic pro. If I am not wrong it used to clearly state "GPS not available, fly with caution " on yellow. Thus I assumed it to be the same to be in Mavic - as it showed 6 GPS signal while at launch, it wasn't that obvious that GPS is an issue.

On the other side, there was an update available for Mavic 2 when I launched and I assumed the yellow was due to not upgrading the FW.

I have sent the data to DJI for analysis, I am not expecting some different response from them as what @sar104 @AeroJ have stated above. I will let you know if there are any updates.

Meanwhile, In Hongkong, there is a queue for DJI store, service center, and DJI doesn't support sending it in via courier. I got my booking for next week so that I can take it in. (I'll keep it posted)

Thanks, everyone for your comments.

Your home point has been registered/updated - please check it on the map ...
ahh, music to my ears ...

Reactions: Bellerophon
Ready to go - Vision precisely means that GPS is not available at this point and the only navigation help you have is the vision system that works only up to about 10m above ground, so it's up to you to stay within those limits and know that if you don't it wil fall back to ATTI mode with no position/navigation help and with full responsibility on you to maintain position/course.

So yes pilot error.
Whoops he obviously didn't understand 'vision' as you said means zero to not enough satellites available **
Absolute reason for crash

It's misleading because in some cases it tells beginners that it's fine to take off when it's not, as perfectly demonstrated here ! DJI could avoid these cases by simply changing it to say 'Acquiring GPS please wait', or similar... don't get me wrong - of course I think every new user should read the manual, browse the forums and be aware of such things before they fly, but we have to accept that a certain percentage just don't, or miss the information .good thinking .

Thanks,

First of all, you are going to experience horrible customer service, they will probably have about 3 to 4 reps call you back making you feel like they're going to replace it or something like that and at the end they'll just tell you we got our moneys worth the hell with you. Take it from me, mine had a defective internal problem, they didn't do NOTHING, FYI all they do is examine the body for damage and determine by it only,,, good luck

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15