DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom Extreme weather flying with the Mavic Rain Wet Suit. Hail Storm/ Heavy Rain

Explain how the motors are protected again? Water won't go down into the blade area and inside?
Ok. I guess I’ll be the goat. I agree with TheRock. You’ve got props on top of electric motors. “The touch and feel” is a great selling point I but for $80 I can think of better alternatives for that. Like was mentioned, standing still is one thing. Blasting through the air at 30+ mph you are going to get water in your drone. If you’ve got a spare $80 laying around and don’t really like your drone I say give it a shot. Otherwise it flies in the face of common sense. I like my Mavic too much to do anything close to flying in the rain. With or without a high tech prophylactic.

Ok. I guess I’ll be the goat. I agree with TheRock. You’ve got props on top of electric motors. “The touch and feel” is a great selling point I but for $80 I can think of better alternatives for that. Like was mentioned, standing still is one thing. Blasting through the air at 30+ mph you are going to get water in your drone. If you’ve got a spare $80 laying around and don’t really like your drone I say give it a shot. Otherwise it flies in the face of common sense. I like my Mavic too much to do anything close to flying in the rain. With or without a high tech prophylactic.

That name calling is not needed, the Wet Suits are designed for those than need to use there drone to work, make money, not really for a hobbist that can afford to wait for the perfect day to fly.

We sold over 5000 units of the Phantom 4 Series drones, so we know people are using there drones to there fullest capacity , and the Mavic 2 Wet Suit is going to provide them that means.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
coal

Reactions: ff22
I also think the Mavics are not built for the fight against water. And the water will win in the end, because it always finds a way.

Rainwater always contains salts!!!

The system cooling is a very sensitive place, in unfavorable flight maneuvers water will penetrate. Water can penetrate into arms, joints, sensors, and finally reach the electronics.

I think it takes much more effort to protect these Mavics from water. You may be able to make a few flights and see no change ...

... but the water finds a way ...

Reactions: Jaysjob and bonzo
I also think the Mavics are not built for the fight against water. And the water will win in the end, because it always finds a way.

Rainwater always contains salts!!!

The system cooling is a very sensitive place, in unfavorable flight maneuvers water will penetrate. Water can penetrate into arms, joints, sensors, and finally reach the electronics.

I think it takes much more effort to protect these Mavics from water. You may be able to make a few flights and see no change ...

... but the water finds a way ...

Wait I am m still racking my brain on the Rain water containing salt, as far as i know not even in a hurricane from the ocean does the Rain contain salt . Be interesting if idid as we could use that to our advantage .

Can you post some proof on that as I cant find anything... . Ocean spray maybe but not from the sky..

Wait I am m still racking my brain on the Rain water containing salt, as far as i know not even in a hurricane from the ocean does the Rain contain salt . Be interesting if idid as we could use that to our advantage .

Can you post some proof on that as I cant find anything... . Ocean spray maybe but not from the sky..
Hey and hello ...
I'm not a weather man, I just asked Wikipedia. Should it have lied to me?

Hey and hello ...
I'm not a weather man, I just asked Wikipedia. Should it have lied to me?
Edit: Source is Wikipedia (DE)

Pollution of rainwater
atmospheric pollutants (for example dust, water-soluble salts and acids see acid rain, radioactive fallout)
substances absorbed on the earth's surface.
Residues of fertilizers and pesticides from agriculture (for example, glyphosate)

Last edited:
Another source (DE) translated to (EN):
https://www.google.de/search?source....41j0j46i131j0i131j46i275j46.dZ8m7vCQq9o#ip=1

Pollution of rainwater
atmospheric pollutants (for example dust, water-soluble salts and acids see acid rain, radioactive fallout)
substances absorbed on the earth's surface.
Residues of fertilizers and pesticides from agriculture (for example, glyphosate)

All the more reason to have a Mavic 2 Wet Suit, lol, might post this on the website. Thank you.

phantomrain.org
approved vendor.

Reactions: richardseguro
All the more reason to have a Mavic 2 Wet Suit, lol, might post this on the website. Thank you.

phantomrain.org
approved vendor.
I just researched a bit more intensively. There is actually a small amount of salt in the rain. The dust in the atmosphere is responsible for it. So I guess it's rather meaningless.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Is the gimble area vulnerable to water damage? Do you have research on whats the difference of flying a Mavic with the suit and without? Someone needs to fly the Mavic 2 just like in the video and please tell me how the neoprene works and i promise im not being a butt. I just never buy anything unless i can believe in it and i want one of these if they truly work.....everyone who owns a drone over $1000 should all be buying this if it works...me included

Reactions: Jaysjob and mnis
Is the gimble area vulnerable to water damage? Do you have research on whats the difference of flying a Mavic with the suit and without? Someone needs to fly the Mavic 2 just like in the video and please tell me how the neoprene works and i promise im not being a butt. I just never buy anything unless i can believe in it and i want one of these if they truly work.....everyone who owns a drone over $1000 should all be buying this if it works...me included

So as you know we had tremendous success with the Phantom 4 Series Wet Suits, and we have been pushing that to the very limits of what storms can possibly offer and as of today the Phantom has never failed.

Check out Phantomrain.org for some videos of what is possible with the Phantom 4 wet suit and how it stops the water from getting inside the drone.

Fast forward to the Mavic air and I had not interest in that drone, than the Mavic 2 came out , looked like a solid beast, and so we got a few.

First thing I did was fly the Zoom in a light rain for about 4 minutes , opened the battery and there was water inside of the battery compartment after just 4 minutes of flying in a light rain, I mean a puddle in the battery compartment...

This puddle did not even make sense to me, why would DJI not seal the Battery being that is on the top of the drone, WTH . Melting snow could have just as easily got in the battery compartment.

That was it , I made the decision to engineer the Wet Suit for the Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro , using the tech that we know worked with the Phantom 4 Series Drones.

As far as the gimbal and the camera goes , the Mavic has the best water resistant design we have seen, so pouring down water has not been an issue for the camera or the gimbal.,

Water dripping into the vents and into the leg opening were a big issue so we focused on that and came up with a way to solve that issue by Designing the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

The props coming off a little to easy was another concern as sand, dirt and small pebbles could get in easy so we fixed that also.

Water is not problem for those Brushless motors but SAND is a problem so we did our best to stop that with the prop covers.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 2.21.05 AM.png

Next on the list was making it more secure for the hand catch, being on a boat, , rain, moisture , snow all make it very slippery so we added the Catch Pad for a more secure hold.

I also think the Designs we came up with are very cool , look great on video and the Neoprene has that nice touch to it.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Coal

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo0001 and mnis
So as you know we had tremendous success with the Phantom 4 Series Wet Suits, and we have been pushing that to the very limits of what storms can possibly offer and as of today the Phantom has never failed.

Check out Phantomrain.org for some videos of what is possible with the Phantom 4 wet suit and how it stops the water from getting inside the drone.

Fast forward to the Mavic air and I had not interest in that drone, than the Mavic 2 came out , looked like a solid beast, and so we got a few.

First thing I did was fly the Zoom in a light rain for about 4 minutes , opened the battery and there was water inside of the battery compartment after just 4 minutes of flying in a light rain, I mean a puddle in the battery compartment...

This puddle did not even make sense to me, why would DJI not seal the Battery being that is on the top of the drone, WTH . Melting snow could have just as easily got in the battery compartment.

That was it , I made the decision to engineer the Wet Suit for the Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro , using the tech that we know worked with the Phantom 4 Series Drones.

As far as the gimbal and the camera goes , the Mavic has the best water resistant design we have seen, so pouring down water has not been an issue for the camera or the gimbal.,

Water dripping into the vents and into the leg opening were a big issue so we focused on that and came up with a way to solve that issue by Designing the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

The props coming off a little to easy was another concern as sand, dirt and small pebbles could get in easy so we fixed that also.

Water is not problem for those Brushless motors but SAND is a problem so we did our best to stop that with the prop covers.

View attachment 58627

Next on the list was making it more secure for the hand catch, being on a boat, , rain, moisture , snow all make it very slippery so we added the Catch Pad for a more secure hold.

I also think the Designs we came up with are very cool , look great on video and the Neoprene has that nice touch to it.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Coal
Sounds like the Phantom was a hit. That is awesome. I am excited to see what reviews come from the Mavic pilots. Even for hobbyist it is nice to fly with dark clouds and feel confident you can bring your drone home safely. And in style. I will check out more I guess at Phantomrain.org? I appreciate your reply.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Interesting project, however missing protection of the battery switch so perhaps this?

1547374541393.png

I know this is a little off subject but i have a dilemma....i have the mavic pro platinum and can return it for a full refund and get the Mavic 2 zoom? Do i really need the zoom and will the updates include fixes? like maybe the side obstacle sensors work like the others? Not only in tripod and activefly. Should i go for the Zoom???

As you say you've sold thousands of the Phantom Rain kits, and have been going since the Phantom 4 days.

You'd expect to see loads of videos on Youtube of it flying around in the rain. The only videos I've seen so far, are your own promotional videos and they all share one thing in common - the drone stays in one place and isn't flying around in the rain.

Any links from satisfied customers? Or videos of it actually "flying" in the rain and not hovering...

Reactions: Jaysjob
I know this is a little off subject but i have a dilemma....i have the mavic pro platinum and can return it for a full refund and get the Mavic 2 zoom? Do i really need the zoom and will the updates include fixes? like maybe the side obstacle sensors work like the others? Not only in tripod and activefly. Should i go for the Zoom???

Its cool one reason to get the Zoom is for the Zoom because many of us have a tendancy when we see something we want to Film such as Birds, whales, steeples, to want to get a little to close for comfort by flying close and the Zoom derails that bad behavior and you get the shot you really wanted.

Doing it in post , just does not have the same feel and takes more time when you can just use the zoom to get it the first time.

We dont fly with sensors as that has a lot of negatives when trying to get the best flight characteristics you can.

Reactions: mnis and Davo0001
Its cool one reason to get the Zoom is for the Zoom because many of us have a tendancy when we see something we want to Film such as Birds, whales, steeples, to want to get a little to close for comfort by flying close and the Zoom derails that bad behavior and you get the shot you really wanted.

Doing it in post , just does not have the same feel and takes more time when you can just use the zoom to get it the first time.

We dont fly with sensors as that has a lot of negatives when trying to get the best flight characteristics you can.
sorry to bother you but other than zoom I know they say 31mins vs 30 with platinum and speed increase to almost 45mph what else would you consider is worth the switch? Gimble, build, processor, etc. ? Oh the occusync may be a little better i hear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan