DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom lost to sea yesterday

bluefighter8

Reactions
I just lost my Mavic 2 Zoom to the ocean yesterday (July 27th 2022)

It seems to me by looking at the flight log that it all started when I unknowingly entered an authorization zone. I took off from the shore on an not restricted fly zone. My starting height was 84.7ft from where I took off and from then on I gradually flew lower very close to the water, (I took off from a parking place on the side of the road that is actually on a cliff next to the shoreline) I went approximately 10350 seaward ( (1.9 miles approximately), and ended up -283 ft height (this is because I took off from a highest place and as I went farther seaward my elevation was on the negative) by that time I still had 50% battery life, I received a warning to head back because I only had enough battery life to make it back to the home point. I decided to take a few pictures for approximately 30 seconds and then I started to head back. I only made it to 5000 feet when I received a warning that stated “Your aircraft is at the boundary of an Authorization Zone, Please fly away with caution”. At that point I still had 38% of battery life and was 5000 feet away from home point but the drone froze hovering while the battery was draining away, every time I moved the sticks it would give me the same warning stated above. I watched in panic how the minutes went by and the battery was dying so I knew then and there that my drone was doomed. I was trying to figure out how to turn off GPS but couldn’t find any menu with that option. Then at times I received a different prompt like this “Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is 328ft. You can reset the RTH Altitude in Remote Controller Settings after cancelling RTH.”

But the drone didn’t move at all. I tried canceling the automatic return to home procedure and fly manually but nothing happened, still the drone didn’t respond to any of my commands and it just hovered there for 12 minutes until finally the battery died and the drone took a dive into the ocean. I am sure that I wasn’t more than 30 feet above sea level and I don’t remember receiving any warning of strong winds. I will upload the video of the flight load in a few hours.

Attachments

• CDC8D887-3CD8-4B9F-BF4D-8E4482B0621E.png
    CDC8D887-3CD8-4B9F-BF4D-8E4482B0621E.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • 900DBF43-3C23-4D0D-B161-AF4E178C94F1.png
    900DBF43-3C23-4D0D-B161-AF4E178C94F1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
B4UFLY shows some serious restrictions in the Palos Verdes Estates area. Did you check this before takeoff?

Reactions: mavictk and @Rip
I wonder if you flew out just south of the corner of the restriction zone for Zamperini airfiled, and then on return you were slightly further north and got stuck on the western end of it?

The shape of the DJI defined restriction zone looks a bit erroneous compared to the airfield layout. It's like they've assumed one of the taxiways is a runway. Wouldn't be the first time DJI geozones aren't quite correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220729-084310_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220729-084310_Chrome.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 39
I wonder if you flew out just south of the corner of the restriction zone for Zamperini airfiled, and then on return you were slightly further north and got stuck on the western end of it?

The shape of the DJI defined restriction zone looks a bit erroneous compared to the airfield layout. It's like they've assumed one of the taxiways is a runway. Wouldn't be the first time DJI geozones aren't quite correct.
Yes, I think you're correct. It looks like a diversion to the south would have cleared the southwest corner of the no-fly area and allowed a return to the east.

B4UFLY shows some serious restrictions in the Palos Verdes Estates area. Did you check this before takeoff?
No honestly I didn’t. Most of the times I do before I fly but I have always relied on DJI’s firmware to alert me of restricted or authorization zones and it has worked just fine prior to this incident. I had sometimes approached a restricted or authorization zones and the drone would just stop and hover but would always allow me to turn back and get away of that area.

I think that’s what happened. What doesn’t make sense to me is the fact that I had flown there before with the same drone and also with a Mavic mini 2 and never had any issues at all. I will try to upload some flight logs of my previous flights on that area.

Does anyone knows how can I upload the video flight log?
Not quite sure what you mean by video log. Is that a video of the whole flight? You can upload the txt file log of flights via phantomhelp and thst gives a good description of the flight. See sticky post at the start of this crash and flyaway section of the forum for instructions on how to do this.

Reactions: bluefighter8
I think that’s what happened. What doesn’t make sense to me is the fact that I had flown there before with the same drone and also with a Mavic mini 2 and never had any issues at all. I will try to upload some flight logs of my previous flights on that area.
Maybe the flysafe database has changed recently? I now have a DJI imposed 60m altitude limit over my house where there didn't use to be before. It is not a legal restriction, just DJI's interpretation of what is and isn't a runway at the city's airport and therefore where typical flightpaths would be.

Reactions: bluefighter8
I don't understand how you were able to take off from their without warning I live in Daytona Beach side and the drone won't take off without prior authorization you should have gotten a warning .

I don't understand how you were able to take off from their without warning I live in Daytona Beach side and the drone won't take off without prior authorization you should have gotten a warning .
If you try to take off in a warning zone you get a warning, as you've experienced. If you take off in an area with no warnings or restrictions like the OP did then you don't get any warning. If you fly into a warning zone mid flight the the warning will pop up. If you try to fly into a restricted zone then the drone stops, as if it has bumped into an invisible wall, and won't go any further forward. You should be able to turn round and fly away from, and around the restriction zone though.

Here is my flight log from the day before with the same drone. I didn’t have any issues at all even tho I flew farther north towards the authorization zone and DJI didn’t warned me about been in restricted airspace.

Attachments

• 6DCB0D4D-6CD0-4B64-B2A6-2B2E5F4B37A0.png
    6DCB0D4D-6CD0-4B64-B2A6-2B2E5F4B37A0.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Maybe the flysafe database has changed recently? I now have a DJI imposed 60m altitude limit over my house where there didn't use to be before. It is not a legal restriction, just DJI's interpretation of what is and isn't a runway at the city's airport and therefore where typical flightpaths would be.
I flew there the day before with the same drone. I just uploaded an screenshot of my flight log and I didn’t get any warnings about me entering restricted airspace and I didn’t have any issues at all.

Attachments

• F1178001-3617-4D3E-A705-9BA3BC85AFC0.png
    F1178001-3617-4D3E-A705-9BA3BC85AFC0.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Not quite sure what you mean by video log. Is that a video of the whole flight? You can upload the txt file log of flights via phantomhelp and thst gives a good description of the flight. See sticky post at the start of this crash and flyaway section of the forum for instructions on how to do this.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the correct terms for describing the flight log files. I will try to upload the file as you told me.

I have flown on that same area several times and I only got warnings to fly with caution as I was flying on the boundaries of an authorization zone. In some other areas where the airspace is restricted my drone won’t even start due to DJI’s firmware to prevent us from flying on restricted areas.

I have flown on that same area several times and I only got warnings to fly with caution as I was flying on the boundaries of an authorization zone. In some other areas where the airspace is restricted my drone won’t even start due to DJI’s firmware to prevent us from flying on restricted areas.
Ok I see I thought he flew out of a restricted zone without getting a warning

If you try to take off in a warning zone you get a warning, as you've experienced. If you take off in an area with no warnings or restrictions like the OP did then you don't get any warning. If you fly into a warning zone mid flight the the warning will pop up. If you try to fly into a restricted zone then the drone stops, as if it has bumped into an invisible wall, and won't go any further forward. You should be able to turn round and fly away from, and around the restriction zone though.
Correct, it has happened to me in the past that While flying I get a warning to stop because I am about to enter an authorization zone or restricted airspace and my drone stops immediately like you just mentioned it. But I was always able to turn around and get back to home point unlike yesterday, my Mavic just froze and hovered there until the battery died.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura