DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I can't find my Mavic 2 Pro bag, but based on how tight it was in the bag, and the fact that the Mavic 3 is larger, I doubt it fits. And if it does, it'll be too tight to fit anything else. I wouldn't trust it in there.

I use a Peak Design Everyday Backpack to carry all of my photographic equipments, including a drone with remote controller, 3 batteries, a DSLR with 2 lens, a tripod, and a bunch of other stuff. This is the only bag which opens sideways with one hand. It works extremely well both in the city, or in the wild.

WechatIMG674.jpeg

51571438581_c8c815170d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicPeter
I found a comparison of the M3 and M2P which show their footprints.

DimensionsFolded (without propellers) 212 x 96.3 x 90.3 mm (Length x Width x Height)
Unfolded (without propellers) 347.5 x 283x 107.7 mm (Length x Width x Height)
Folded (without propellers) 212.86 x 99.83 x 93.04 mm (Length x Width x Height)
Unfolded (without propellers) 319.55 x 256.46 x 90.5 mm (Length x Width x Height)

Left is M3.

Impressive that it folds to a more compact size but unfolded is larger so those arms must be longer?

Hope they hold up.

But folded it should fit in the M2P FM bag.

I can't find my Mavic 2 Pro bag, but based on how tight it was in the bag, and the fact that the Mavic 3 is larger, I doubt it fits. And if it does, it'll be too tight to fit anything else. I wouldn't trust it in there.
Actually Mavic 3 is slightly smaller in all dimensions when folded.

I ordered a Mavic 2 bag. I can return if not a good fit. Mavic 2 in a DJI Mavic 2 bag did look rather snug based on a Video I watched.

Worried the batteries won’t fit. But I like the bag.

Currently using an old SLR back pack that’s a bit bulky. DJI Mavic 3 bag looks very bulky and way over priced.

Not sure I want a hard case.

Tried it tonite. No go. The edges of the propellers on the Mavic 3 stick out too far to fit into the old Mavic 2 kit bag. You can force it in there with the camera side up, but it's also too tall, and you will need to force the zipper to zip.
I got it to fit without the camera muzzle. But with muzzle, no way. Muzzle adds a lot.

If you want to replace propeller in the field - you need screwdriver and loctite, which you also need to carry or it can be had at autoparts store, but I just leave spare propellers at home
The propeller replacements on the Mavic 3 do not require a screwdriver or loctite. You must be thinking of the Mini 2.

I've always hated the DJI carry bags that they've included in the Fly-more combos. Every single one. I've always tried to sell them or just stashed them away. It's worth the investment to buy a nice carry case, and like someone else mentioned, GPC are absolutley top notch and I buy one for every single drone I buy. So when I go into my drone storage, it's easy to pick the drones I want to fly, pull the charger out of the case and charge the batteries/controller, and I'm out the door.

The GPC cases for the M3 with smart controller are $189, a bargain compared to DJI's $300 backpack if you ask me. Now I know that some want the backpack option, but I have a universal one with adjustable slots that I use for that since it's rare I can't just pack my hard case. I like having the hard case because it's water and shock proof and a good way to protect my investment.. and for the Mavic 3 and Smart Controller, that's a big chunk of change to protect!

I've always hated the DJI carry bags that they've included in the Fly-more combos. Every single one. I've always tried to sell them or just stashed them away. It's worth the investment to buy a nice carry case, and like someone else mentioned, GPC are absolutley top notch and I buy one for every single drone I buy. So when I go into my drone storage, it's easy to pick the drones I want to fly, pull the charger out of the case and charge the batteries/controller, and I'm out the door.

The GPC cases for the M3 with smart controller are $189, a bargain compared to DJI's $300 backpack if you ask me. Now I know that some want the backpack option, but I have a universal one with adjustable slots that I use for that since it's rare I can't just pack my hard case. I like having the hard case because it's water and shock proof and a good way to protect my investment.. and for the Mavic 3 and Smart Controller, that's a big chunk of change to protect!

I was thinking about the bag. Two use cases:
1 - storage & transportation in car - I guess any bag will work. DJI bag will work if its free, but at $300 there are better options
2 - hiking somewhere - if I going somewhere with the drone - I probably will have DSLR with me too. For that I need combo backpack that will hold drone & dslr - so stock bag is out.
realistically DJI bag only makes sense if it's free

Nope. If you go to the website, they're just taking pre-orders, with no word on how long before we get them. Same thing on amazon, best buy, B&H, etc.

I do like the versatility of the DJI convertible case and at $160 on eBay, it might be a steal? But being new to all this makes me wonder what I should do ....
I reached out after ordering mine and they said 3 weeks from yesterday.

Tried it tonite. No go. The edges of the propellers on the Mavic 3 stick out too far to fit into the old Mavic 2 kit bag. You can force it in there with the camera side up, but it's also too tall, and you will need to force the zipper to zip.
Could you please make a video?

So that's why measurements of it folded is smaller than the M2P but unfolded it's bigger footprint.

Must have longer arms as well as longer propellers.

So that's why measurements of it folded is smaller than the M2P but unfolded it's bigger footprint.

Must have longer arms as well as longer propellers.
See post #25 above, repeated here for clarity:

======

According to DJI, the M3 is larger in all dimensions when folded.

M3: 221×96.3×90.3 mm (Length×Width×Height), folded no props

M2: 214×91×84 mm (length×width×height), folded no props

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I can't be alone in the drone frustration I have.

In simple terms I take my drone on holiday/travelling and then want to take on a walk, car journey, etc. to whip out when the opportunity arrives.

The basic problems are

1. Deploying the drone is a pain…Every method of carrying a drone means a frustrating set up especially if it's bright sunlight and I need a shade of some kind. Even when I've got get good at unpacking, it can take 10 mins to set up and then 10 minutes to pack away. In most of the places I go I want a quick 5-10 min video and be gone and so the 20 mins set up and pack away is fiddly, difficult (on the floor of a dirty track) and infuriating.
  2. Bright sunlight is an absolute pain. There are lots of sunshades but frankly in bright sunlight they're next to useless not least because you need to be able to read the small text on the screen that might be saying something like "SD card full not recording". Add to that they're difficult to carry around without damaging (in the drone backpack), fiddly to set up and easily broken.
  3. Screen size is a problem. It's all very well using a small phone to view what the drone is filming but small screens mean even smaller text and again that can be a big problem Sure I can use a tablet but that means lugging more weight, a much bigger more cumbersome sunshade, etc. It's especially a problem for those of us who are long sighted and need glasses to read the close stuff. It means juggling glasses on your head to see the screens and then moving to see the drone at longer range.
  4. Transporting for plane travel, etc is difficult. To take a drone on your travels/holidays means using up your onboard carry allowance with a dedicated drone bag. There's no easy alternative to folding down the backpack (I need to carry the drone on a walk/bus, etc) into my carry-on.

I can't be alone in these frustrations but despite looking through the forums I haven't seen anyone commenting on them as a whole.

I have a solution though... it's taken me hours of trial and error, and I've had to refine skills in cardboard folding, sewing, gluing and design.. but, for me, the result is awesome. I'm absolutely thrilled with the (final) end result and am posting just in case others might benefit. (NB this one is for Mavic Pro but principles apply to all drones and I've just finished a new and much improved version for Mini 3 Pro)

I've made the first and only backpack, I know of, that easily, safely and securely carries the drone, controller, etc, is really quick to deploy, is a complete blackout sunshade, incorporates optics (glasses) and folds completely flat to pack in hand or hold luggage. Consists of four parts...

1) Outer shell - ripstop nylon
2) Protective Frame - vinyl covered cardboard (possibly overkill?)
3) Carry Box / Backpack frame - cardboard frame
4) Sunshade - Cardboard box (usable without backpack or inside backpack)

It's a bit difficult to explain in simple words and so I've included four pictures to show the various elements.

Thoughts / comments?

Attachments

• 1 Outershell.jpg
    1 Outershell.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 2 Protective Frame.jpg
    2 Protective Frame.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 3 Carry Box.jpg
    3 Carry Box.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 4 Drone Shade.jpg
    4 Drone Shade.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
I can't be alone in the drone frustration I have.

In simple terms I take my drone on holiday/travelling and then want to take on a walk, car journey, etc. to whip out when the opportunity arrives.

The basic problems are
  1. Deploying the drone is a pain…Every method of carrying a drone means a frustrating set up especially if it's bright sunlight and I need a shade of some kind. Even when I've got get good at unpacking, it can take 10 mins to set up and then 10 minutes to pack away. In most of the places I go I want a quick 5-10 min video and be gone and so the 20 mins set up and pack away is fiddly, difficult (on the floor of a dirty track) and infuriating.
  2. Bright sunlight is an absolute pain. There are lots of sunshades but frankly in bright sunlight they're next to useless not least because you need to be able to read the small text on the screen that might be saying something like "SD card full not recording". Add to that they're difficult to carry around without damaging (in the drone backpack), fiddly to set up and easily broken.
  3. Screen size is a problem. It's all very well using a small phone to view what the drone is filming but small screens mean even smaller text and again that can be a big problem Sure I can use a tablet but that means lugging more weight, a much bigger more cumbersome sunshade, etc. It's especially a problem for those of us who are long sighted and need glasses to read the close stuff. It means juggling glasses on your head to see the screens and then moving to see the drone at longer range.
  4. Transporting for plane travel, etc is difficult. To take a drone on your travels/holidays means using up your onboard carry allowance with a dedicated drone bag. There's no easy alternative to folding down the backpack (I need to carry the drone on a walk/bus, etc) into my carry-on.

I can't be alone in these frustrations but despite looking through the forums I haven't seen anyone commenting on them as a whole.

I have a solution though... it's taken me hours of trial and error, and I've had to refine skills in cardboard folding, sewing, gluing and design.. but, for me, the result is awesome. I'm absolutely thrilled with the (final) end result and am posting just in case others might benefit. (NB this one is for Mavic Pro but principles apply to all drones and I've just finished a new and much improved version for Mini 3 Pro)

I've made the first and only backpack, I know of, that easily, safely and securely carries the drone, controller, etc, is really quick to deploy, is a complete blackout sunshade, incorporates optics (glasses) and folds completely flat to pack in hand or hold luggage. Consists of four parts...

1) Outer shell - ripstop nylon
2) Protective Frame - vinyl covered cardboard (possibly overkill?)
3) Carry Box / Backpack frame - cardboard frame
4) Sunshade - Cardboard box (usable without backpack or inside backpack)

It's a bit difficult to explain in simple words and so I've included four pictures to show the various elements.

Thoughts / comments?
How do you touch the tablet screen to respond to all forced DJI prompts during flight? Every sunshade I have seen has the same basic problem, with terrible workarounds. Try finding shade, or carry a small umbrella instead.

How do you touch the tablet screen to respond to all forced DJI prompts during flight? Every sunshade I have seen has the same basic problem, with terrible workarounds. Try finding shade, or carry a small umbrella instead.
I totally get you. The choice for sunshades is either one that gives you full access and poor screen cover or good screen cover and limited screen access.

However, in travelling the world I've found that oftentimes you have limited time to drone (quick deployment being essential then), and even if there is shade it's not enough in the bright sunlight. Love the idea of an umbrella but i) trying to juggle an umbrella whilst droning ? ii) a head umbrella - apart from the amusing factor isn't going to shade enough. Irrespective, my sunshade gives complete blackout. I can literally fly in the middle of the brightest sun and see the minutest detail on my screen without a problem.... and I need reading glasses to see!

If you look at pictures you will see I have a big cutout flap that coincidentally is just the right size for my hand to go through and provide full access to the screen. Granted it's not as easy to access with no sunshade but I can get to the screen within a second and actually see what I'm doing. Part of the reason for making this sunshade was because of my sister-in-laws wedding. She asked me to drone film her horse drawn carriage entry, etc. It was in the middle of the day an whilst I could find shade, the shade meant I couldn't see her enter to know when to start filming (or see the drone when in position). The day before I had practice and filmed the entire venue. When she entered I duly follow and filmed but it was not until quite a few minutes into it that I realised something might be wrong. I squinted trying to see the screen and fumbled with my glasses trying to see tiny text on my screen as I moved into the shade - "SD Card Full" I'd not recorded anything because my previous days filming had taken up all the memory. Now I know I was an idiot but if I'd had my sunshade I would have seen it the moment I took off (5 mins before she entered) and deleted the previous days footage.... and recorded her wedding entry (Side note - my wife and others took hand held video footage that I spliced into other drone footage and so my sister-in-law was happy - phew)

For me thought the sunshade is only a small facet of the backpack but it does mean I never even think about having to find shade or carry an umbrella.

I totally get you. The choice for sunshades is either one that gives you full access and poor screen cover or good screen cover and limited screen access.

However, in travelling the world I've found that oftentimes you have limited time to drone (quick deployment being essential then), and even if there is shade it's not enough in the bright sunlight. Love the idea of an umbrella but i) trying to juggle an umbrella whilst droning ? ii) a head umbrella - apart from the amusing factor isn't going to shade enough. Irrespective, my sunshade gives complete blackout. I can literally fly in the middle of the brightest sun and see the minutest detail on my screen without a problem.... and I need reading glasses to see!

If you look at pictures you will see I have a big cutout flap that coincidentally is just the right size for my hand to go through and provide full access to the screen. Granted it's not as easy to access with no sunshade but I can get to the screen within a second and actually see what I'm doing. Part of the reason for making this sunshade was because of my sister-in-laws wedding. She asked me to drone film her horse drawn carriage entry, etc. It was in the middle of the day an whilst I could find shade, the shade meant I couldn't see her enter to know when to start filming (or see the drone when in position). The day before I had practice and filmed the entire venue. When she entered I duly follow and filmed but it was not until quite a few minutes into it that I realised something might be wrong. I squinted trying to see the screen and fumbled with my glasses trying to see tiny text on my screen as I moved into the shade - "SD Card Full" I'd not recorded anything because my previous days filming had taken up all the memory. Now I know I was an idiot but if I'd had my sunshade I would have seen it the moment I took off (5 mins before she entered) and deleted the previous days footage.... and recorded her wedding entry (Side note - my wife and others took hand held video footage that I spliced into other drone footage and so my sister-in-law was happy - phew)

For me thought the sunshade is only a small facet of the backpack but it does mean I never even think about having to find shade or carry an umbrella.
The sunshade problem could be more easily solved if DJI would just give us back the option to program one of the C1 or C2 buttons as an acknowledgement of whatever warning dialog box they have placed over the FPV, forcing us to touch the screen every time instead, while also removing a needed hand from one of the two control sticks! That programmability currently exists on the Mavic 2 in the GO 4 app, but sadly does not currently exist on the Mavic 3 in the Fly app!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato