DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Hawk Photography

Reactions
I have flown my M3C about 4 times now. 2 of the flights ended with a Remote ID Error and the drone RTH both times. I'm using the DJI RC. What can cause that?

Also with the adjustable aperture what ND filter would you just leave on your drone. Right now I'm thinking ND8.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
ND8 is a popular filter but I dont leave any of them on. I adjust for each flight and many times I dont use a filter at all.

I get Remote id error all the time but I dont think that has anything to do with your drone initiating an automatic RTH.

Im sure the folks around here would suggest you upload your flight data here and they will go over like the frozen caveman and have an answer for you.

Not always true.
Yes .. there are certain specific cases where you could use an ND filter for stills.
But for about 99% of the time, an ND filter is only going to handicap anyone shooting stills with a drone.

Unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed, there is no reason to use an ND filter for shooting stills with your drone.

Yes .. there are certain specific cases where you could use an ND filter for stills.
But for about 99% of the time, an ND filter is only going to handicap anyone shooting stills with a drone.

Unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed, there is no reason to use an ND filter for shooting stills with your drone.
totally, not true.
Even standard cameras use ND filters. Do you think they were invented just for drones shooting videos?

totally, not true.
Even standard cameras use ND filters. Do you think they were invented just for drones shooting videos?
Ha!
Comic...
Standard cameras.
Ground cameras usually stay on the ground, they are hand held or put on a tripod, they don't fly in the air, unless they are installed on a drone!
And the conditions of use, the limits of use and the needs are objectively very different in the two situations.
I do not rule out the small utility, sometimes, of using ND filters to take photographs in flight, but it is rather marginal and could be pejorative, I would also say for obvious reasons.
Are you perhaps a manufacturer or a seller of ND filters and want to defend these categories?
I very rarely use them on traditional ground cameras, hardly ever, but I have almost always used polarizers, for decades, starting with film cameras of various formats, small and large.

Reactions: rp6
totally, not true.
It's hard to accept that when you don't even bother to explain why you think that.

If you are shooting stills with your drone, there is no reason at all to use ND filters unless you particularly want to force a slower shutter speed.

Please detail how you would use an ND filter for drone stills and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please share what those "many purposes" are, which are independent of merely slowing down the shutter speed.
It's more relevant for video, but has some purposes for still photography.

If you are shooting in very bright daylight, using an ND filter can keep the exposure from being blown out.

If you want to get some motion blur in your images, like of waves or a waterfall, then a ND filter will let you use a show shutter speed. Of course, there are limits to how slow you can go with a device hovering in the winds....

It's more relevant for video, but has some purposes for still photography.

If you are shooting in very bright daylight, using an ND filter can keep the exposure from being blown out.

If you want to get some motion blur in your images, like of waves or a waterfall, then a ND filter will let you use a show shutter speed. Of course, there are limits to how slow you can go with a device hovering in the winds....
Your drone's shutter speed goes to 1/8000th, so you don't need ND filters to deal with sunny days.
The 2nd point is forcing a slower shutter speed.

I'd really like to hear some of the "many purposes" that have been suggested for using ND filters when shooting stills with your drone.
<<hint>> they don't exist

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Ahem ??
Is that all you can say?
No details of how you think ND filters are useful for drone still photography?
I'm sure you can figure it out. Cheers.

What I've figured out is that you have nothing.
If there was something you'd be able to say more than simpley not always true or ahem.
Sorry, but you're not my priority. I'm sure someone else has you high on their list, just not me. Good luck on your search.

@Michael Gilbert: Still waiting on your reply...

Please share what those "many purposes" are, which are independent of merely slowing down the shutter speed.
It's clear that there are none.
Anyone with a reasonable understanding of photography knows that.
You can't take these empty claims seriously when no-one is willing to back them up.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead