DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 & DJI Fly - massive new features to be released in Q2 2022

Only 5°? So what's the point with such limited panning?
Very useful for 7x telephoto panos. The 5° change left and right, followed by a 5° gimbal elevation and decrement creates a 9 image grid pattern pano that is easy to replicate manually.

Interesting that the list of enhancements has nothing about : This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than ever., which was advertised from the start.
Faster than ever? I'd be happy with something that was just as fast as every previous model.
Indeed my old Mavic Pro Platinum usually locks home point in propably like half minute from powering it on.
And in case of just momentary power off for battery swap it's usually well faster.
Now haven't taken any times, but don't remember minute level waits happening often.

Heck, if I had to wait for five minutes for home point lock in -25C, battery would be seriously losing warmth.
Though guess powering on motors would create load on battery to keep it warmer.

I've been engaged with several support managers passing requests to engineering; I wish I had known about that thread, but perhaps multiple sources of requests are useful. I see at least 3 of my items on the release. (not unique to me, but that I also asked for)
For now, how about a hotfix patch for Airsense? At least 2x a week I send DJI video 9f planes passing DIRECTLY above my drone, and separation of less than 500-1000 feet. What is going on there, and how widespread the failure is, I have no idea.

Reactions: Richard R
Most of the DJI drones don’t pan the gimbal much. They rotate the entire drone.
True, I assume, but Air 2 pans a full 180 degrees. You can look at your own front leg anytime you feel the need lol! The M3 camera is too beefy and the gimbal sets up at an angle that precludes that motion. It's a big imaging device for the aircraft size so making it stable was a higher priority, no doubt.

Reactions: djctwo and KLRSKIR
Interesting that the list of enhancements has nothing about : This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than ever., which was advertised from the start.
Faster than ever? I'd be happy with something that was just as fast as every previous model.
100% with you. Let's not forget the famous video of Mavic 3 tracking through those trees, lol! Not that it needs to do that for most use cases, but when you brag, people keep trying to prove or disprove it. In open spaces it tracks amazingly well. That said, tracking SEEMS degraded on .0600 for me. Demos I did in the past fail miserably now, in multiple lighting scenarios.
Airsense. Are only 3 people affected? It is completely dead on my Mavic 3/RC Pro since January's V01.00.0500 update.
The word recall has come to mind regarding GPS seeking/aquisition issues. If the "fix" that took MONTHS is so poor at addressing the issue, I have to wonder if it's hardware limited. If there was a quick fix, we would have it by now. As to: "but it worked fine at release!" Im not sure it was "fine" but it worked comparable to other DJI products. Question for Meta4: Someone theorized that memory resources put into use with added features in December/January updates are now unavailable for GPS. Do GPS modules have any memory, even cache on the module, or do they generally use shared system RAM. How much RAM, and/or cache does DJI typically use? Could memory be short for GPS, making A-GPS not possible? Could processing or API calls be using resources that GOS needs? Just spitballing here. There certainly isn't any autonomous flight mode processing happening when the drone is sitting there seeking satellite signal. Is the module even capable of using all constellations, or only GPS/Beidou?
Too many variables, to little publicly available data. I'm going to wait for my dream of "DJI Announces recall of Mavic 3 to replace GPS module" if your going to dream...

Is the module even capable of using all constellations, or only GPS/Beidou?
Module supports all four, GPS, Galileo, GLONASS and Beidou, with three of them active concurrently.

But possible question mark is if every Mavic 3 uses same module, or is there's also some possible alternative from other manufacturer in use to improve component supply.
As far as I know there hasn't been any tearing down of drones to see, if they all use same component between ones having issues and not having issues.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Question for Meta4: Someone theorized that memory resources put into use with added features in December/January updates are now unavailable for GPS. Do GPS modules have any memory, .....
I wouldn't even begin to speculate about things down at that level, it's way beyond my pay grade.
But it doesn't matter.
GPS has worked without a hitch for every other drone DJI made previously, but it doesn't for this new model.
That's an issue for DJI to sort out.
But if they can't after this long, you wonder if it's possible.
Is the module even capable of using all constellations, or only GPS/Beidou?
The M3 uses GPS + Galileo + Beidou

This is a rare moment of transparency, not a joke for April 1.

DJI just made an announcement in their official user forum in China, with a massive list of new features planned for Mavic 3 & DJI Fly app, to be released in Q2 2022 and thereafter.

Mavic 3
+ 7X telephoto camera optimization:

• fast switching between main camera and telephoto camera
  • manual exposure control
  • RAW support
+ max fly speed adjustment (tripod mode?)
+ additional flight parameters adjustment (no specifics mentioned)

DJI RC-Pro controller
+ fully customizable control wheel functions (e.g., exposure compensation adjustment)

DJI Fly app
+ attitude ball(?) supports the display of the remote control as the center

DJI also announced additional features planed in future firmware update (after Q2 2022):

Mavic 3:
+ waypoint support
+ focus and metering optimization

DJI Fly app:
+ UI optimization

+ main UI:
  • full-screen mode
  • show extra information (battery voltage, obstacle avoidance status, etc)
+ file naming optimization
+ album download and storage optimization

Original announcement in Chinese:

View attachment 146102

Source: 【话题讨论】DJI Fly 体验改进计划阶段公示-产品-大疆社区
So, I already get these features?

With the latest firmware update, I no longer have the slow GPS issue. Now it always record the home point in less than 60 sec.

As a photographer, all I care about is still imaging capability. If the next firmware update adds RAW support and manual exposure control to the telephoto camera, then I have no more complaints.

Not sure why the GPS fix did not work for some folks. Maybe time to file a complaint to DJI support, and demand a replacement?
Exactly they do have a 1 year manufacturers warranty. The firmware works for most people, it's only a small amount of folks that are truly adversely effected when looked at as a whole.

Last edited:
Also, if you look at those who are complaining so MANY are failing to understand that they are in high high levels of interference and not even launching properly to begin with.
There's no shortage of users having problems starting up in wide open locations, well away from any interference.
If that explained the GPS problems of the Mavic 3, don't you think we'd be hearing similar from users of all other models?

btw .. when I launch other drones from high interference areas, I still get perfect GPS.
GPS frequencies aren't significantly affected by the things that cause signal interference between the drone and controller.

Now this would bring this drone to near parity to a mavic 2.

Still, I consider it quite pricey given that its controller is a step down from an M2 controller, and the fact that while it's got a better camera, it does not seem to blow the 2 away.

Make it 2k for a flymore combo, and then I'll consider replacing my MA2 for it... if only if they fix the GPS issue, so it locks as quickly as my MA2 which currently takes less than a minute from cold.
My current use-case requires it as well as a as-long-as-possible airtime (which is why I didn't upgrade to an A2S).

100% with you. Let's not forget the famous video of Mavic 3 tracking through those trees, lol! Not that it needs to do that for most use cases, but when you brag, people keep trying to prove or disprove it. In open spaces it tracks amazingly well. That said, tracking SEEMS degraded on .0600 for me. Demos I did in the past fail miserably now, in multiple lighting scenarios.
Airsense. Are only 3 people affected? It is completely dead on my Mavic 3/RC Pro since January's V01.00.0500 update.
The word recall has come to mind regarding GPS seeking/aquisition issues. If the "fix" that took MONTHS is so poor at addressing the issue, I have to wonder if it's hardware limited. If there was a quick fix, we would have it by now. As to: "but it worked fine at release!" Im not sure it was "fine" but it worked comparable to other DJI products. Question for Meta4: Someone theorized that memory resources put into use with added features in December/January updates are now unavailable for GPS. Do GPS modules have any memory, even cache on the module, or do they generally use shared system RAM. How much RAM, and/or cache does DJI typically use? Could memory be short for GPS, making A-GPS not possible? Could processing or API calls be using resources that GOS needs? Just spitballing here. There certainly isn't any autonomous flight mode processing happening when the drone is sitting there seeking satellite signal. Is the module even capable of using all constellations, or only GPS/Beidou?
Too many variables, to little publicly available data. I'm going to wait for my dream of "DJI Announces recall of Mavic 3 to replace GPS module" if your going to dream...
AirSense is universally broken right now. For everyone. DJI’s “public” statement is that it is “optimized”. Just like the GPS issues.

When things are broken and DJI can’t fix them- just say it’s “intended” and “optimized”. Simple!

This is a rare moment of transparency, not a joke for April 1.

DJI just made an announcement in their official user forum in China, with a massive list of new features planned for Mavic 3 & DJI Fly app, to be released in Q2 2022 and thereafter.

Mavic 3
+ 7X telephoto camera optimization:

• fast switching between main camera and telephoto camera
  • manual exposure control
  • RAW support
+ max fly speed adjustment (tripod mode?)
+ additional flight parameters adjustment (no specifics mentioned)

DJI RC-Pro controller
+ fully customizable control wheel functions (e.g., exposure compensation adjustment)

DJI Fly app
+ attitude ball(?) supports the display of the remote control as the center

DJI also announced additional features planed in future firmware update (after Q2 2022):

Mavic 3:
+ waypoint support
+ focus and metering optimization

DJI Fly app:
+ UI optimization

+ main UI:
  • full-screen mode
  • show extra information (battery voltage, obstacle avoidance status, etc)
+ file naming optimization
+ album download and storage optimization

Original announcement in Chinese:

View attachment 146102

Source: 【话题讨论】DJI Fly 体验改进计划阶段公示-产品-大疆社区
Waypoints would be huge and yes, they should have included them, but I will be happy to get them in a future update...

Reactions: E.151 and zinko
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580