DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 flies forward (on its own) crashing into a house wall

Mordin

Reactions
I am curious if anything like this happened to someone else. (I did search, but could only find crashes when Active track was in use).

Yesterday I had the following issue occur:
I fly my drone outside of my house and it was hovering about 3ft above ground, and about 7-8ft from the house wall (facing the wall).
Obstacle avoidance was enabled (set to the minimum of 3.3ft horizontally).
I tap the stick to go forward slightly and it starts moving forward toward the wall ... Usually it stops about 3-5ft from the object in the path). This time it kept going forward (fairly slowly, but steadily - even with me letting go of the sticks completely).
When it got "too close for comfort" I pushed the right stick all the way backwards ... to make the drone fly backwards. Unfortunately the drone ignored this input and kept on flying forward ... a little jerky, but kept flying forward into the house wall (and crashed).

I even downloaded the flight via airdata and verified my stick-movement to see if I "dreamt" it and maybe pushed the lever in the wrong direction ... but it shows very nicely in the last 1-2 seconds before the crash that I pushed the right stick down, and the drone kept going forward ... into the wall.

There was no active-track enabled ... I was flying the drone with manual control only.

I understand that the drone can get confused if there is not enough contrast (if it wants to follow something in a specific direction), but is it normal for the drone to go in a direction even though the controls direct it to go the exact opposite way?
I would also expect that a house-wall has enough contrast ... but maybe not? There was also a window a little higher from where the drone crashed ...

Any thoughts would be welcome ...
Thanks!

You would do best to post the .txt log here or make the Airdata page shareable.

If you do not want to share your location then upload the txt flight log to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
download the csv, open that csv and clear all the cells that contain lat and long data (at least 4 column ), note CLEAR the cells do not delete them i.e. empty them but leave the empty cells, columns and column titles there. Save the csv then upload the saved csv to a file hosting website, make that page public and post the link here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aairon
I even downloaded the flight via airdata and

As stated above, share your log for the gurus here to break it down.

You can choose to stay anonymous by clicking a few switches before sharing the AirData log.

Good luck.iMarkup_20230516_170509.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Sorry its under these circumstances. Sorry to hear about your crash.

Let these guys around here figure this out for you.

I don't know how Phantomhelp works but not including entire colums in the txt might screw things up, whereas cells without data appear to be no problem.

I even downloaded the flight via airdata and verified my stick-movement to see if I "dreamt" it and maybe pushed the lever in the wrong direction ..
Then post a link to the AIrdata report so that others can see all the other information that might be relevant.
There could be more in there than you saw.

I am curious if anything like this happened to someone else. (I did search, but could only find crashes when Active track was in use).

Yesterday I had the following issue occur:
I fly my drone outside of my house and it was hovering about 3ft above ground, and about 7-8ft from the house wall (facing the wall).
Obstacle avoidance was enabled (set to the minimum of 3.3ft horizontally).
I tap the stick to go forward slightly and it starts moving forward toward the wall ... Usually it stops about 3-5ft from the object in the path). This time it kept going forward (fairly slowly, but steadily - even with me letting go of the sticks completely).
When it got "too close for comfort" I pushed the right stick all the way backwards ... to make the drone fly backwards. Unfortunately the drone ignored this input and kept on flying forward ... a little jerky, but kept flying forward into the house wall (and crashed).

I even downloaded the flight via airdata and verified my stick-movement to see if I "dreamt" it and maybe pushed the lever in the wrong direction ... but it shows very nicely in the last 1-2 seconds before the crash that I pushed the right stick down, and the drone kept going forward ... into the wall.

There was no active-track enabled ... I was flying the drone with manual control only.

I understand that the drone can get confused if there is not enough contrast (if it wants to follow something in a specific direction), but is it normal for the drone to go in a direction even though the controls direct it to go the exact opposite way?
I would also expect that a house-wall has enough contrast ... but maybe not? There was also a window a little higher from where the drone crashed ...

Any thoughts would be welcome ...
Thanks!
I had the exact thing happen to me, but I know why. I was low on battery. Extremely low. I had cancel go home a couple times. I went forward to land the drone, but it must have went into an auto land sequence. It proceded to just go forward. It didn't respond to my stick movements. Hit the wall and fell to the ground. No harm done luckily.

You would do best to post the .txt log here or make the Airdata page shareable.

If you do not want to share your location then upload the txt flight log to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
download the csv, open that csv and clear all the cells that contain lat and long data (at least 4 column ), note CLEAR the cells do not delete them i.e. empty them but leave the empty cells, columns and column titles there. Save the csv then upload the saved csv to a file hosting website, make that page public and post the link here.
Thanks a lot Yorkshire_Pud!
That was exactly the reason (having my exact location in the logs) to be hesitant providing the logs. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of downloading/ converting the logs.
I think I removed all location data (and serial numbers).
Not sure what can be found in the log (besides the obvious ... that the drone flew forward while i was pushing the stick back), but I am new to these kind of details ... so who knows.

I guess I have all kinds of issues ... You suggested to upload the file to some file hosting website. I never did this (and of course do not want to pay for it at this point). Anyways I uploaded it to mediafire (https://www.mediafire.com/file/chybq3aqysjcxf1/DJIFlightRecord_2023-05-15_(17-31-47)_noloc.csv/file) - I hope it is viewable (I had some issues with it).
If you have a suggestion for a functioning file hosting service, please let me know.
I also uploaded the csv file here, but I guess that is not an allowed extension?

A lot of things I do not understand here yet (I do work on computers the last 30 years, but rarely was in forums like this)

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly did you set the obstacle avoidance to a 3.3 ft minimum?
Uhm ... by moving the slide-bar for "Obstacle Break Distance1' all the way to the left under "Obstacle Sensing Settings"
Was this some kind of secret?
Or did I call it the wrong thing?

Attachments

• Minimum3.3.JPG
    Minimum3.3.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: The 49th Drone
I had the exact thing happen to me, but I know why. I was low on battery. Extremely low. I had cancel go home a couple times. I went forward to land the drone, but it must have went into an auto land sequence. It proceded to just go forward. It didn't respond to my stick movements. Hit the wall and fell to the ground. No harm done luckily.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Low battery was definitely not an issue in my case. It was at 70% or so. My crash also did not cause much damage besides a couple of scratches, but I really want to find out what happened. The next time it might happen in a less fortunate situation (a few hundred feet in the air)

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Low battery was definitely not an issue in my case. It was at 70% or so. My crash also did not cause much damage besides a couple of scratches, but I really want to find out what happened. The next time it might happen in a less fortunate situation (a few hundred feet in the air)
The people who could analyse your data don't care about where you live or your serial number.
Removing data makes the analysis more difficult andis likely to remove something that's important for analysis.
Don't make things difficult for them.
Just post the actual data and they can start looking at it.

Anytime your near a wall : There is a chance your going to loose GPS signal and enter into Atti mode where the wind and the prop thrust will be your driving force so that may be a possibility.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain < Land on the Water
I agree with you that near a wall many things can happen (lost GPS, changing wind-conditions ...) - with my Mini2 I have lots of trouble near walls and constantly have to steer in a correcting manner to not crash into any wall.
BUT ... why did the drone ignore my controls completely? I was definitely pushing the lever to go backwards, and the drone kept going forward ... ?

The people who could analyse your data don't care about where you live or your serial number.
Removing data makes the analysis more difficult andis likely to remove something that's important for analysis.
Don't make things difficult for them.
Just post the actual data and they can start looking at it.
That may be ... and you can do with your personal information all you want ... but I do not think I will share it on a forum where all members (and probably everyone else on the Internet) could view it.

Reactions: The 49th Drone
That may be ... and you can do with your personal information all you want ... but I do not think I will share it on a forum where all members (and probably everyone else on the Internet) could view it.
Good for you.
I'm the guy that analyses data and I've looked at what you've left.
There isn't enough for me to tell what direction your drone was moving.
I don't care about your precious personal data, it's nowhere near as important as you imagine.
I don't care about your incident either.

Uhm ... by moving the slide-bar for "Obstacle Break Distance1' all the way to the left under "Obstacle Sensing Settings"
Was this some kind of secret?
Or did I call it the wrong thing?
I'm confused. This screenshot is of the DJI Fly app?

I'm confused. This screenshot is of the DJI Fly app?
Uhmm, I'm with you. I haven't seen that screen before either. I wasn't aware it was on the Fly App. I have only seen the screen for setting the method for avoidance (brake, bypass, off), but not for Obstacle Break Distance.

Uhmm, I'm with you. I haven't seen that screen before either. I wasn't aware it was on the Fly App. I have only seen the screen for setting the method for avoidance (brake, bypass, off), but not for Obstacle Break Distance.
Agreed, I have never seen that screen either on my Mavic 3 Classic in DJI fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa