DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 for mapping

lebaneso

Reactions
Hi guys any news on when the mavic 3 k will be available and what abt the drone efficiency for 3 d mapping is it better than the p2p or is the late still the best for mapping ?

Hi guys any news on when the mavic 3 k will be available and what abt the drone efficiency for 3 d mapping is it better than the p2p or is the late still the best for mapping ?
There's no SDK and the Mavic 3 won't be a mapping drone until that's released and the mapping app developers can modify their apps to use the Mavic 3.

I'm hearing from my sources that DJI will not release SDK for the Mavic 3, only the upcoming Mavic 3 Enterprise.

If this is true, DJI is making a HUGE mistake.

I'm hearing from my sources that DJI will not release SDK for the Mavic 3, only the upcoming Mavic 3 Enterprise.

If this is true, DJI is making a HUGE mistake.
The Enterprise machine will probably use a more fully-featured app and have the ability to fly waypoint missions ?
But how many regular M3s could you buy for the price of the Enterprise model?

I hope they do create an SDK for the Mavic three but I fear it is unlikely. I’m sure there plans had the Mavic three enterprise of the drawing board long before the Mavic three came out so it may very well be their plan to hold back the SDK to encourage people that want that to buy the Enterprise version. Time will tell.

There are a lot of pilots on the sidelines waiting to see if the SKD is released for mapping. May have to look further afield for a new mapping drone.
Regards

Heard confirmations that an SDK will be out sometime in December around Christmas time.

Until an SDK comes out, here is a site I just found when I was searching how to manually map with a Mavic 3. Looks like it could work well! I'm definitely going to try it.

The Mavic 3 for photogrammetry - Manual Nadir Scanning

The Mavic 3 - latest and greatest DJI drone without support for flight planners yet. Learn how to fly manually for photogrammetry purposes.
www.pix-pro.com
www.pix-pro.com

Heard confirmations that an SDK will be out sometime in December around Christmas time.

Until an SDK comes out, here is a site I just found when I was searching how to manually map with a Mavic 3. Looks like it could work well! I'm definitely going to try it.

The Mavic 3 for photogrammetry - Manual Nadir Scanning

That involves you doing the flying and somehow managing the side overlap with the drone capturing at 2 second intervals while flying slowly.
That doesn't sound anywhere near as convenient or precise as the dedicated mapping apps we're used to
And the slow flying speed would limit the area you could do on one battery.

Reactions: Mharz
It's not for everybody but it's an option until an SDK comes out. Doesn't look that hard or inconvenient, to be honest. Fly in Cine mode, which the drone flies slow enough, and the drone automatically taking photos every 2 seconds seems like a good alternative if you really need to get by for now.

It's not for everybody but it's an option until an SDK comes out. Doesn't look that hard or inconvenient, to be honest. Fly in Cine mode, which the drone flies slow enough, and the drone automatically taking photos every 2 seconds seems like a good alternative if you really need to get by for now.
I can’t think of any reason to do this in a professional setting. I know it’s doable but only for small areas or subjects—and when accuracy is not as critical. 40 acres at 1 cm per pixel? I’m not waiting for an SDK or painstakingly trying to fly that manually. What about camera calibration? That’s not really covered in the article.

The P4P and M2P are working just fine. That said I’m still hopeful the SDK will support automated flights early next year—that battery life and sensor size is killer for the size/form factor.

For those that bought Mavic 3 in good faith that DJI would release the SDK for it, think again. This received just a few days ago when I flat out asked if they had any intention at all to release the SDK for Mavic 3:

William Wong (DJI)

2022/9/9 GMT+8 10:52

Dear Client
Thank you for contacting DJI.

There is no plan to support Mavic 3 in this year and we havn't [sic] made the next year plan. So I cannot tell you if we have intention or not. In conclusion, the priority of Mavic 3 is low.

Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support

Looks like they don't care much about their flagship product when they can upsell to the enterprise models for basic features like waypoints.

I saw the same answers from DJI in various venues. This is a problem for me. I expected the M3 to have SDK support and their utter lack of it leaves me cold for future DJI purchases.

Reactions: Bob Jones
I saw the same answers from DJI in various venues. This is a problem for me. I expected the M3 to have SDK support and their utter lack of it leaves me cold for future DJI purchases.
Agreed, If so, this is a mistake on DJI's part IMHO. The value in using something like a M2P/P4P without RTK to map was it's low cost ratio-to-quality for those who have access to survey equipment. Pushing those customers to "Enterprise" prices with what most likely will be proprietary automated flight software definitely cuts me out as continued customer. As if the whole 'US made only' wasn't a warning sign. No, I don't want a "1-inch" sensor either for photogrammetry just to have waypoint missions and extended battery times. I'm guessing the M3 Enterprise won't have a mechanical shutter either, yet will flaunt a built-in RTK. I have no need for thermal, but I wish there was a Lidar option for close/detailed flights. Without that, I'll just use my iPad for detailed scanning at close range lol.

I might sell my M3, but I like what it does for the time being--at the top of it's class for compact aerial photography and videography. I will not part with the M2P or P4P as long as I can obtain batteries and parts, as both models are covered by all four of the automated flight software programs I use.

and @Debaser_AZ looks like the new M3 Enterprise has a good old fashioned real shutter and an SDK....so I think we have our answer. No SDK for M3. : ). The M3E is their mapper....
Yes! Finally a new mavic with a mechanical shutter, and even better, not just a RTK option, but looks like optional module and ground station (so can be purchased separate later)!!

It seems a bit unclear whether the RC PRO Enterprise controller is the one and only way the control the drone thou, or if this is an optional extra - does this mean we can’t use an ipad/tablet connected controller and therefore can’t use apps like Dronedeploy? Are DJI forcing us into only using their mapping software (DJI Terra I believe it is called?), surely not….

and @Debaser_AZ looks like the new M3 Enterprise has a good old fashioned real shutter and an SDK....so I think we have our answer. No SDK for M3. : ). The M3E is their mapper....
Ah, this is great news, except all that bitter M3 taste in my mouth. Will be surprised if it's ready out the box. Also an annoyance or even deal breaker if it can't run DroneHarmony/DroneDeploy/MapPilotPro within a couple months after release.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000