DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 is not for professionas

TRogan42

Reactions
Yesterday I was invited by buddy of my to photo shoot with spanking new Mavic 3. He is Professional drone pilot. Professional means his main source of income, in his case 100% is from flying drones.
I was super excited because he said I can have one battery and just go at it, after the shoot. He got the drone 2 days ago.

His assignment was to inspect 215m stack from inside, it developed some cracks and they wanted to see how big etc. We went inside the stack and tried to fly in to it from the top, he could not do it because sensors were detecting the walls. We tried from the inside but also were not able to do it.
He tried to disable the sensors and he could not find the place where he can disable them. 30min later in absolute disbelieve he used his Inspire he had in the car to finish the job, he was quite disappoint with DJi FLY app. He was surprised he could not use DJO GO4 app.

He said ability to disable the sensors is absolutely necessary for him, 50% of his jobs if not more are in the places where sensors have to be disabled.

He took off his mavic 2 pro from kijiji very promptly, he said he will most likely return M3 until everything is sorted out.

When I said most people on the internet think M3 is for pros, he said: pros need all the functions they can get their hands on, not just pretty camera. I was super happy because he let me fly all 3 batteries on Mavic 3 while he was flying inside the stack.

I love how the drone flies, but was sad I could not do 360 or 180 panos, with that camera it would have to be amazing, he had permit to fly very close to places where no one can fly and that panorama would be one of the kind (I kinda did it manually). Zoom function is cool but only to certain level and you can’t have AEB in zoom and apparently not even DNG :(

Once DJI adds back all the functions, if they do, it will be amazing drone, still not for pros if you can’t disable sensors.

And to add to what @Czechvar said, not all "professionals" need the OA system disabled. Therefore, the inability to disable it (if that's true) doesn't make it not a professional drone. It simply makes it not a good drone for certain professionals.

Well, your friend tried to use an unfamiliar system. You can’t really say it isn’t for professionals when the person didn’t properly understand how the thing works. From what I read here the OA system can be disabled.

Could you provide the link to how to disable OA, it would be more productive.

If you are making good living from flying drones, you have enough experience to fly any drone, especially most popular drone on the market.

Image truck driver not able to drive new truck because of something new in the truck... or carpenter not able to use the new tools because he doesn’t understand how “thing work”

Professional tools should be designed with professionals in mind, while new features should require extra study, all the old features should be easy to transition too.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
I don’t know where that option is, I’m sure someone else will help soon…there is another Thread about that specific function if you want to look for it.

As far as “Professional’s” go, the true professional generally makes it their business to know what they’re doing….BEFORE they do it.

I'm not familiar with the Fly App, but before I used Go 4 App I read the manual and found multiple YouTube videos on how it functions. Commercial pilots have to have a type rating for what they fly. Not just get in whatever aircraft and expect to fly it competently.

The same should apply to the drone community IMHO.

Also, when studying for the FAA Part 107 (which any commercial pilot should have), it specifically says to read the manual for whatever drone you're flying and know how the drone works. After failing to read the manual, how can you denounce the drone as non-professional because you couldn't figure out how to perform a function that should be outlined in the manual you didn't read? And then, after still not reading the manual, you come here to complain? I'm sorry for sounding slightly rude, but I don't understand your logic

With the Go4 app the obstacle avoidance sensor (OA)menu can be accessed by touching the OA icon at the top of the 'phone' screen. It might be worth your friend trying that.
I do not have a Fly App using drone with OA so I can not check.

In the manual p14
"Sport Mode: In Sport Mode, the aircraft uses GNSS for positioning and the aircraft responses are optimized for agility and speed making it more responsive to control stick movements. Note that obstacle sensing is disabled and the maximum flight speed is 21 m/s (19 m/s when flying in the EU)."
&
"The Forward, Backward, Lateral, and Upward Vision Systems are disabled in Sport mode, which means the aircraft cannot sense obstacles on its route automatically."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BSauce955
The Obstacle Avoidance toggle is here. In this picture it is off and shown in red with a line through it.

840444A5-A72D-4D08-BA3B-9CAE8355B53E_1_201_a.jpeg

So your buddy showed up to a paid job without first taking the time to understand the capabilities of the brand new equipment he was going to use? Yikes. Good thing he had a backup I guess.
I think the conclusion is that the Mavic 3 is not for amateurs.

Well, your friend tried to use an unfamiliar system. You can’t really say it isn’t for professionals when the person didn’t properly understand how the thing works. From what I read here the OA system can be disabled.
Dont have one yet so can’t test but
5DDC6979-683C-4D12-BDB8-02958D60B646.png

I love all the unsolicited advice from wanna be legal experts that do not even have drone in their hands. My intention was not to ask for help.

Just sharing what dude said. (I have asked for link because I would love to show him and make him look bad, I would pull hisleg to the rest of his life :)))

I’m just hobbyist with MM2 that got invited to one of the best pro drone pilots in my city that is also partial owner of local DJI store. Doesn’t get more pro than that, and if you have seen his photos/videos you would all tone down and crawl back to your legal advice giving competition cave. (he did one of Drake videos with high speed cars)

At this time it is impossible do do it, his FlyApp didn’t have the red octagon on the screenshot, I’m wondering if that is something new or location specific, also his Safety tab looked completely different.

I’m not arguing, just saying from the observer side how pro was talking about this new drone, he was impressed with ProRes but said he would rather use bigger drone if ProRes would be required.

Reactions: GrimtheViking
Nobody is giving you legal advice that I can see in this thread, I'm not sure what gives you that impression.

I think people are just surprised that your buddy would show up to a paid job and use new equipment that he couldn't be bothered to familiarize himself with beforehand. That is very unprofessional. The 30 minute testing period that eventually left him in "absolute disbelieve" could have been avoided with 30 seconds of reading.

People are offering help because based on your description, it seems your friend could use some.

You can turn it off from the Safety screen on your controller settings. OA Action has 3 options... Bypass, Brake, or Off. You can make this change in all 3 modes. As someone else mentioned, it is turned off automatically in sport mode.

-Source: looking at mine right now lol

Last edited:
I love all the unsolicited advice from wanna be legal experts that do not even have drone in their hands. My intention was not to ask for help.
Like CD said, none of this is legal advice. Just pointing out the fact that your friend could have completed his Stack Inspection with his M3 if he had taken the half hour to scan the manual before going out. Maybe he’s more of a ‘Driver’. I repaired Radar Systems on all types of Air Force Jet Aircraft…they kind of prefer that we read the Manual before we work on stuff.

I think like most of us in life he is knowledgeable with the tools he is used to. He got a new tool and in his excitement carried it to the job site and realized it’s functions were different than what he was used to. So he grabbed his old tool and completed the job. I am sure after fussing a little bit he took the time to read and figure it all out and will love the new M3. I have been guilty of the same. I just wish I had an M3. 😊I am definitely not a professional just sharing my thoughts. Happy droning and hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

You can turn it off from the Safety screen on your controller settings. OA Action has 3 options... Bypass, Brake, or Off. You can make this change in all 3 modes. As someone else mentioned, it is turned off automatically in sport mode.

-Source: looking at mine right now lol
I ain't a 'legal expert' or a 'Pro', haven't got (or intend to get) the MA3 - MA2 does everything I need - but (seriously!) 'crawl back into your cave' etc when folk are just offering constructive advice ?! Methinks RTFM (as indeed several have said! )

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan