DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 3 - ISO TEST 4K (Low Light) - Mavic 3 vs Mavic 2 vs Inspire X5S

Hi!

Many people are interested in how the sensor works in Mavic 3.
I compared Mavic 3 vs Mavic 2 vs Inspire 2 X5S

I shot everything on video for you.
Enjoy watching and subscribe (I'm preparing a flight time test).

I appreciate you showing that the standard lens that comes with the X5s has a full 1.5 stop advantage on the M3. Most people that do these videos don’t take that into consideration. Actually you are showing just a 1 stop advantage but I understand some of those scenes would be overexposed if you unleashed the full low light power of the X5s. There are some lenses that would even give you a 2 stop advantage. Potentially you could use ISO 200 on the X5S when you have to use ISO 800 on the M3 to get the same apparent exposure.

Last edited:
I appreciate you showing that the standard lens that comes with the X5s has a full 1.5 stop advantage on the M3. Most people that do these videos don’t take that into consideration. Actually you are showing just a 1 stop advantage but I understand some of those scenes would be overexposed if you unleashed the full low light power of the X5s. There are some lenses that would even give you a 2 stop advantage. Potentially you could use ISO 200 on the X5S when you have to use ISO 800 on the M3 to get the same apparent exposure.
You're right. Before the test, I thought for a long time about putting the 2.8 aperture on Inspire 2 or not. I put 2.0 because this is an undeniable advantage of Inspire 2. If you put less than 2.0, the picture is not clear.

Far more interesting would be X5S and X7 vs. M3 Cine shooting same shutter and frame rate in ProRes. Results could be surprising.
The issue is with that is the I2 ProRes uses EI instead of ISO for gain calculations in D log so it’s not really apples to apples with the Mavic line. Not to mention the I2 can do 12 bit recording in ProRes 4444 XQ.

Reactions: Point Zero
The issue is with that is the I2 ProRes uses EI instead of ISO for gain calculations in D log so it’s not really apples to apples with the Mavic line. Not to mention the I2 can do 12 bit recording in ProRes 4444 XQ.
ProRes 4444 XQ on. Inspire 2 will certainly be more beautiful

Thanks for sharing

You can still do an apples to apples comparison by using 422HQ, skipping DLOG and noting the additional capabilities of the Inspire separately. That would be most meaningful to evaluating M3 sensor against I2.

You can still do an apples to apples comparison by using 422HQ, skipping DLOG and noting the additional capabilities of the Inspire separately. That would be most meaningful to evaluating M3 sensor against I2.
Well the other issue is if the X5s footage is softer and has more noise what would that tell us? All that could mean is that the video is less processed, more raw-like, which professionals would tell you is a good thing so noise reduction and sharpening can be tailored in post and more dynamic range extracted out of the noise floor that would otherwise be clipped. An interesting test none the less but I would fear the results would be misinterpreted.

Just FYI, PR4444XQ on the I2 is only 10 bit. 12 bit is only available in certain flavors of CDNG and PRR. 14 bit is also available in certain flavors of CDNG, PRR and PRRHQ.

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

X5S ProRes HQ 12 Bit

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-11-29 в 22.47.12.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-11-29 в 22.47.12.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
Negative. The only 12 bit on X5S is via CDNG.

View attachment 139283

I'm new on this forum but I'm not new to aerial cinematography. ;)

I have three I2 setups. And I've been flying drones and RC helis on set before DJI was a glint in frank wang's eye.
That’s for the X7 and there’s lots of issues with the documentation that DJI gives. If you pull in a ProRes 4444XQ clip into Resolve you’ll see it shows as 12 bit.

X5S ProRes HQ 12 Bit
I think QuickTime is just saying that ProRes 422 HQ can be up to 12 bit there. I don’t believe it is saying the footage is 12 bit. When I have tested this in the past I checked every resolution and every frame rate and didn’t see any ProRes 422 HQ that was 12 bit coming from the X5s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh