DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Jerky Flight

Tim3459575

Reactions
Hi

I’ve been having trouble with jerky flight speed. It’s and intermittent issue and when it happens the drone keeps repeatedly braking for no reason when I have the stick forward. It looks to fy 10’ forward then brake then accelerate forward in a stop and go motion. I’ve noticed this in both cinema and normal mode. It also introduces some unwanted motion in the video due to the abrupt and repeated braking. I first observed this when I was using a catch handle and thought that could be the cause. However, it occurs even without the handle.

Any thoughts on what may be the cause and/or remedy ?

thank you

I have only noticed this in two circumstances.

1. When the collision avoidance was engaged and it flew around some branches.
2. When I attached a version of a leg extender that I thought might add protection for the gimbal.

Otherwise my Mavic 3 has flown very smoothly.

...or obstacle avoidance is seeing the sun or bright reflection it thinks is an obstacle

I had some Mavic 3 drift or movement recently while filming nature. There was no apparent sensor involvement. This was seemingly corrected by re-calibrating the IMU.

Reactions: JoelP
Recently, my Mavic 3 rises when I am just going forward (right stick forward). Then I back up and do it again once or twice and the problem stops. Recalibrated sticks and compass (just realized I have not done the IMU, I will and see if that eliminates).
anybody else seen this behavior? Any thoughts, suggestions, fixes?

Recently, my Mavic 3 rises when I am just going forward (right stick forward). Then I back up and do it again once or twice and the problem stops. Recalibrated sticks and compass (just realized I have not done the IMU, I will and see if that eliminates).
anybody else seen this behavior? Any thoughts, suggestions, fixes?
There was a problem like this that a firmware update helped with. Maybe you haven't updated yet? Otherwise I'm no help. Good luck!

Mine was doing this tonight flying about 20ft off the ground and into the sun. Disabling obstacle avoidance fixed it.

thanks for all the input. I’m going to recalibrate and see if that helps. Will also try disabling obstacle avoidance if it happens again.

I bought my Mavic 3 end of March 2022 and encounter this issue from day 1 on. I already raised a DJI ticket and they replied with "It's a known issue and will be fixed in a later firmware update". However, it's also present in the latest firmware. Calibrating the IMU and compass doesn't help.
I have this issue most times if the sun is deep (maybe 15 to 20° over horizon..?), but also recognized it in cloudy situations or when the sun is in the back. Only disabling obstacle avoidance helps in my case.
I will now send my drone to DJI for maintenace but I don't think they can fix the problem. We probably have to wait for another software update and hope that it's not a hardware problem after all (due to the wide angle lenses?)

Last edited:
I bought my Mavic 3 end of March 2022 and encounter this issue from day 1 on. I already raised a DJI ticket and they replied with "It's a known issue and will be fixed in a later firmware update". However, it's also present in the latest firmware. Calibrating the IMU and compass doesn't help.
I have this issue most times if the sun is deep (maybe 15 to 20° over horizon..?), but also recognized it in cloudy situations or when the sun is in the back. Only disabling obstacle avoidance helps in my case.
I will now send my drone to DJI for maintenace but I don't think they can fix the problem. We probably have to wait for another software update and hope that it's not a hardware problem after all (due to the wide angle lenses?)
thanks for the feedback on this issue

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31