DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Hand Launch Issue (solved)

hagman23

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have noticed now a number of times since getting my Mavic 3 Pro that this particular drone does not like to be hand launched. I have been doing this for a few years now, hand launching and catching every drone from the Air 1, 2 Pro, 3, Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro, and even hand catching my P4P. When I attempt to hand launch the Mavic 3 Pro at start up, when the motors should fire up and lift off, often times it will go to full power then suddenly cut to about half speed. If I were to have tried to let the drone go, I feel like it would've fell to the ground. I had to shut down and set the drone on the ground which worked fine, but the whole point of hand launching/catching is to keep my drone off the ground. Is it a sensor issue that isn't for some reason recognizing my hand as "solid ground"? This has NEVER happened before this M3P...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Secondly, what is the deal with DJI Fly App randomly signing us out of our account??? I went to fly a quick photo op yesterday and low and behold, as I was taking off the drone stopped because I wasn't logged in to my account. I had to hot spot my phone to then connect to the controller so I could sign in. I had just flown the drone a few days ago, didn't do any FW update, so what the heck?

Thanks for any advice knowledge you can drop in with!

The sign out thing is much discussed on the DJI forum. From memory some Mod posts suggest it is a quarterly thing, I don't remember if that is 3 months of non use or every 3 months full stop but it has certainly 'annoyed' some people.
Thanks DJI for adding more things to worry about. It must be a full-stop thing because I have been flying my drones regularly. I would understand if it was a non-use for three months thing, but c'mon DJI, smh.

Perhaps there is just too much "sensor" in the Mavic 3 Pro's Sensors and there just isn't a way to keep you hands out of the way?
I don't own a Mavic 3 But I know DJI boasts about the sensor coverage.
I now have a less than 250g rule for hand launching and landing ( those Air 2s Props bite hard lol)

Reactions: Dbez1 and Torque
Perhaps there is just too much "sensor" in the Mavic 3 Pro's Sensors and there just isn't a way to keep you hands out of the way?
I don't own a Mavic 3 But I know DJI boasts about the sensor coverage.
I now have a less than 250g rule for hand launching and landing ( those Air 2s Props bite hard lol)
Might be, I am going to have to test it some more and see if I can hold it in my hand differently, just wondered if anyone else was having this issue.

I fly 3 or 4 times a week if not daily and have experienced ZERO issues with the fly app signing me out.

On your hand-launch issue, I have the M3 and don't have any issues hand-launching or landing. Maybe your sensors are dirty..? Maybe you have an issue?

Reactions: hagman23
I fly 3 or 4 times a week if not daily and have experienced ZERO issues with the fly app signing me out.

On your hand-launch issue, I have the M3 and don't have any issues hand-launching or landing. Maybe your sensors are dirty..? Maybe you have an issue?
I've wondered if they were dirty also, just from me hand launching to begin with, wiped them down and still happens. It's not all the time either, so I am starting to think maybe it is the way I am holding it.

Are you flying with a device that is always connected to a network? I am trying to remember if it's ever happened with my Mini 3 Pro, as I fly that with the RC-N1 and my phone.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I've wondered if they were dirty also, just from me hand launching to begin with, wiped them down and still happens. It's not all the time either, so I am starting to think maybe it is the way I am holding it.

Are you flying with a device that is always connected to a network? I am trying to remember if it's ever happened with my Mini 3 Pro, as I fly that with the RC-N1 and my phone.
My M3 is in combination with an RCN1 controller and a Tripltek tablet that does, in fact, have an active cell card in it.

I have my secretary call DJI everyday about this Sign Out , this is annoying and when it happens I find myself just grabbing another drone , at least the RC pro offers that without a new sign in. As far as I can state there is no pattern to when you have to sign in , ugh.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Don't remember who, but there was a YouTube video dedicated to hand launching the M3 a while back. May look there.

As for the Fly app signing off, it was discussed several times. One member said to sign in while on WiFi, start the drone, then shut it down. Then turn off the WiFi and you can now start without any issues. I did try this and have flown several times since then. That does not mean I won't get disconnected after a specified time passes as mentioned above. Time will tell.

Here is the best instruction how to hand launch and land the Mavic 3:
I do it very often this way without any problems with Mavic 3 Classic

Last edited:
Reactions: jephoto
I have noticed now a number of times since getting my Mavic 3 Pro that this particular drone does not like to be hand launched. I have been doing this for a few years now, hand launching and catching every drone from the Air 1, 2 Pro, 3, Air 2S, Mini 3 Pro, and even hand catching my P4P. When I attempt to hand launch the Mavic 3 Pro at start up, when the motors should fire up and lift off, often times it will go to full power then suddenly cut to about half speed. If I were to have tried to let the drone go, I feel like it would've fell to the ground. I had to shut down and set the drone on the ground which worked fine, but the whole point of hand launching/catching is to keep my drone off the ground. Is it a sensor issue that isn't for some reason recognizing my hand as "solid ground"? This has NEVER happened before this M3P...

Secondly, what is the deal with DJI Fly App randomly signing us out of our account??? I went to fly a quick photo op yesterday and low and behold, as I was taking off the drone stopped because I wasn't logged in to my account. I had to hot spot my phone to then connect to the controller so I could sign in. I had just flown the drone a few days ago, didn't do any FW update, so what the heck?

I had this happen to me where it only started on half power and therefore had to shut down & restart. I believe when I did restart the drone it was at arms length, where as before it was closer and may have triggered sensors off more than is normal.

I had this happen to me where it only started on half power and therefore had to shut down & restart. I believe when I did restart the drone it was at arms length, where as before it was closer and may have triggered sensors off more than is normal.
I did some more “testing” when I was preparing to fly our local fireworks. Both launches I made my hand more solid under the a/c and had no issues. I’m almost certain this has been my problem all along.

A) If you move your Hand around - the drone detects this as an Object and will move fast to reject it -
So the Firm Hand is a MUST... (But you found that out already)

B) The AutoLogout...
Yeah iv had that a few times - ...
The DJI FLY returns to the Initial Picture Page - ... and I have to select 'fly Now' or something.
So Software glitch here...

Hey - these are fixable -... and not too serious... with the thousands of things it takes to keep a 1KG stone in the Air doing a balancing act - and taking pictures, id say on the whole they (DJI) have done a good job :) (98% of the time)

I found that launching in sport mode alleviated the problem as the sensors are turned off, once airborne you can just reenter into normal mode or whatever mode you like. I've been using this method with the Mavic 3 Cine and DJI RC Pro with no issues.
You might want to check that because with some DJI drones the first launch after drone boot in is N mode irrespective of the flight mode switch setting.
Subsequent launches during that drone switch-on are either in the flght mode in which the drone landed or as determined by the switch postition.

Please - DO NOT LAUNCH in Sport mode!!! Too easy for something bad to happen. Go into the safety tab and turn OA off there.

Reactions: MS Coast
I found that launching in sport mode alleviated the problem as the sensors are turned off, once airborne you can just reenter into normal mode or whatever mode you like. I've been using this method with the Mavic 3 Cine and DJI RC Pro with no issues.
How does launching the Mavic 3 Pro in sports mode alleviate the hand launch issue? I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13