DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Mechanical Shutter

Reactions: Hrodnand
Correction only the MAVIC ENTERPRISE 3 have the mechanical shutter.

You are right. Only M3E has the mechanical shutter.

What is the benefit of mechanical shutters?

I think the question should be if it has a rolling shutter which would distort the images.

I think the question should be if it has a rolling shutter which would distort the images.
The rolling shutter - electronic shutter of most DJI drones is fine for static subjects, but can distort when motion is involved.

So electronic shutter is synonymous with rolling shutter.
Yep, But if you read the article you will see there are ways to reduce the effects.
I use an Enterprise 3 with mechanical shutter this reduces flight time because I can take pictures much faster(shutter speed).

So electronic shutter is synonymous with rolling shutter.
Technically no. Rolling shutter just means that the sensor is exposed to light line by line. Most mechanical shutters work the same way it’s just that they do this fast enough that is doesn’t cause issues for the vast majority of things. There are also electronic global shutters that expose the full sensor at the same time and thus aren’t rolling shutters but these are generally only used in high speed cameras where even mechanical shutters aren’t fast enough.

It’s worth nothing that electronic rolling shutters keep getting faster and soon mechanical shutters will be obsolete. For instance, Nikon doesn’t even put mechanical shutters in their newest cameras anymore because the electronic shutter is practically speaking just as fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: c.oberschneider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian