DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro release add-on

Rayray

Reactions
Recently got a Mavic 3 Pro, works fine and no problems. Pretty awesome craft.
Do any of you have an add-on release mechanism to drop food for your dog--or whatever-- that you like, doesn't add too much weight and easy to put on and remove?

I see several on Amazon, etc., seems like no clear choice there and not enough reviews to check.

Appreciate any help or advice.
Ray

Hi Ray.

There used to be (when I was flying the MavPro Plat and the Mav Zoom )- a few people that got excited about a Quick release device - that could be attached to the drone and activated by the ON/Off of the Lights - This needed to be attached to the lights by opening up the drone -
It worked - ... but was used for Dropping Fishing Lines at a Distance and sometimes inflateble lightweight life vests.

But nothing ever over about 500g which was already a weight straining the Battery to Lift of the drone.

I remember over COVID - that we were in LOCKDOWN - and I would Send my Drone from my home on the Mountaintop to the Gas-Station Store in the Valey to buy Chocolates and stuff...
I Hung a String and a Pouch canvas Bag with a stone in (to keep the Bag Below) Plus would send Money and a NOTE for my chocolate Order - Then Phone ahead -.
Sure enough the Chocolates and Change would come back.

It was fun and I did this a few times-... but with never more than 400g Payload.

Just to put this in a Nutshell - the consumer drones by DJI that we know are not designed to lift anything really. They can - but will Really push the design amperage of the Batteries (killing them faster)

If your intention is to make your drone into a Workhorse to carry a PayLoad - then Maybe the DJI enterprise drones may be for you... that can carry a Lot more.

The ones that come to mind ... are the Matrice 300-350 series - but these are super costly - (used to carry Fertilizer or pesticides for farms etc )

Some delivery services being offerred use custom designed drones - and opt to use the Airplane design - for more weight and distance efficiency over the Quad Copter design.
IM SURE there WILL come a time in future where Batteries are super Lightweight - and Super Efficient where a Machine will lift Many times its own weight....
DJI is getting better - but not there yet.

SO Unless your dog doesnt mind Only a Snack being dropped, then the Quick Release may not be worth the trouble. (for the M3P)
Even dropping a Bag of water on someones head may be too heavy (Haha)

Hope this Helps

Last edited:
Taku, my dog, wolfdog, said you should follow Elon and come to States.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps the answer will appear by and by. Mafi mushkila...

Taku-2023.jpg

By and by here you go , this is a fantasic system that we use on the Mavic 2 Pro for Search and Rescue Clients.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Nice Catch Phantom ! :))

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Of course, now there is an issue with controlling the AUX light, which was used to trigger the release. EU regulations made DJI make that function not user selectable anymore. Kind of made all those light activated release system into clever used to be useful items. There are ones that have a separate radio activated release, but have under 1 km range generally. You can find them on Ali Express for not too many $$.

Thanks, That is indeed a fantastic "by and by".
At 200, not sure I could then afford the dog food. Do they let you do "Go Funding" for canines?

• Haha
Recently got a Mavic 3 Pro, works fine and no problems. Pretty awesome craft.
Do any of you have an add-on release mechanism to drop food for your dog--or whatever-- that you like, doesn't add too much weight and easy to put on and remove?

I see several on Amazon, etc., seems like no clear choice there and not enough reviews to check.

Appreciate any help or advice.
Ray
Update...
OK, I tried the expensive one mentioned below, found it unsuitable for my Mavic 3 Pro. I found a newly released (no pun intended) mechanism on Amazon that I got. It fits and works great, Easy to put on and take off. Well-designed and sturdy.
Amazon.com

Update...
OK, I tried the expensive one mentioned below, found it unsuitable for my Mavic 3 Pro. I found a newly released (no pun intended) mechanism on Amazon that I got. It fits and works great, Easy to put on and take off. Well-designed and sturdy.
Amazon.com
Let me know why it was unsuitable for the Mavic 3 Pro , and I am going to give that amazon style one a try.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc