DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Range test - 30,000 ft - REPORTED TO FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum is not the place for people to post about things that they have done that is not legal...and then be told it is ok.... @anzacjack I guess your jab was directed at me....I am not "higher than thou" but the forum is turning into a show and tell for people doing things that don't comply with the regulations......it is losing its integrity and credibility as a place where a guy who wants to learn what is safe and legal can come and learn what is right and responsible. ...You don't seem to get it....the guys flying irresponsibly...guys in violation.... cause problems and bring the focus of the microscope of the lawmakers and FAA right down on us ....the OP was unaware that what he was doing was not sanctioned...had it not been brought to his attention, he would think it is alright to continue...what has become disappointing is that so many guys are posting about things they are doing that is not right and expect positive recognition and congratulations
Well stated.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I think that the OP is now much better informed on VLOS regulations, and it doesn't serve much purpose to continue piling it on. This thread has probably run its course.
True, but in another thread where a guy from NZ is posting about his range test with a M3 the OP is adding likes to the posters who are giving him a pat on the back. Gotta wonder if he learned anything!!! But I agree, time to move on - not going to change the minds of people who willingly disregard rules and put manned flight at risk.

I performed yesterday a range test on my Mavic 3 in sport mode with a battery that only has 1 cycle.
multiples spotters help me with this test. Thanks to my wife, daughter and friends.

The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, 1-3 Mph wind, The OccuSync3+ is incredible.
The video can be seen up to 5.1K

As you can see the battery is the limit. I may have archive another 1,000 FT but I don't want to push to much the first time without know the drone. I returned with 17% of battery left.

I need to test in normal mode but can be risky the return.

Enjoy the video !!

I am so buying the Mavic 3. I am brand new to drones but I know I will love the M3 I am looking forward to getting one soon!

also thanks for the test. Maybe you be arrested though or something if the FAA found out,,, be careful what you post many people here would be happy to report users who do not strictly follow the rules.

Last edited:
I am so buying the Mavic 3. I am brand new to drones but I know I will love the M3 I am looking forward to getting one soon!

also thanks for the test. Maybe you be arrested though or something if the FAA found out,,, be careful what you post many people here would be happy to report users who do not strictly follow the rules.
Only hurting yourself and the drone hobby by doing this and worse broadcasting it.

And so you want to get the M3,and are new to drones do you not think if you are new to drones you should maybe
start with one of DJI's lesser models like the mini 2.
More than capable to get started.
Don't be swayed into buying something that is overkill for a new pilot because of a range test.
But hey it's your coin.

I just been reported to the FAA for my 30,000FT Range Test video. They leave me a comment in my YouTube channel asking for my email saying they need to talk to me. I google the agent name and found his email and phone number and I give then my information. They email me and then call me.

Richard from the FAA Orlando, contacted me to give me orientation about the rules of VLOS and altitude base in the rules below.

I had to provide my drone registration and trust certificate.

He was very professional, friendly and let me know the FAA intentions is give orientation to people flying drones and encourage continue with the hobby in a safety way. The first thing he mention was do not feel stress we are here to help and give orientation.

Something he mention was they take as baseline that nobody can see a drone after 1.2 miles of distance. Also something new for me is that if you take off for example and fly to a higher ground level for example 50FT hill you still need to maintain the 400FT from the take off location...That is what he says. My understanding was that you need to maintain the altitude from the actual drone location ground level.

He was very helpful and ask me to keep his number in case we have any question to give us orientation. He says he read this post in here and they monitor our forum basically that is a good thing.

I am keeping my video in my channel as orientation but as i mention before I am not intending to repeat the test again since I know is violating the FAA rules.

Reference: Code of Federal Regulation 107 https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-107

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.​

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

§ 107.33 Visual observer.​

If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:

(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.

(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.

(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:

(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and

(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

§ 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.​

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles. For purposes of this section, flight visibility means the average slant distance from the control station at which prominent unlighted objects may be seen and identified by day and prominent lighted objects may be seen and identified by night.

(d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:

(1) 500 feet below the cloud; and

(2) 2,000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

I just been reported to the FAA for my 30,000FT Range Test video. They leave me a comment in my YouTube channel asking for my email saying they need to talk to me. I google the agent name and found his email and phone number and I give then my information. They email me and then call me.

Richard from the FAA Orlando, contacted me to give me orientation about the rules of VLOS and altitude base in the rules below.

He was very professional, friendly and let me know the FAA intentions is give orientation to people flying drones and encourage continue with the hobby in a safety way. The first thing he mention was do not feel stress we are here to help and give orientation.

Something he mention was they take as baseline that nobody can see a drone after 1.2 miles of distance. Also something new for me is that if you take off for example and fly to a higher ground level for example 50FT hill you still need to maintain the 400FT from the take off location...That is what he says. My understanding was that you need to maintain the altitude from the actual drone location ground level.

He was very helpful and ask me to keep his number in case we have any question to give us orientation. He says he read this post in here and they monitor our forum basically that is a good thing.

I am keeping my video in my channel as orientation but as i mention before I am not intending to repeat the test again since I know is violating the FAA rules.

Reference: Code of Federal Regulation 107 https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-107

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:

(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.

(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.

(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:

(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and

(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles. For purposes of this section, flight visibility means the average slant distance from the control station at which prominent unlighted objects may be seen and identified by day and prominent lighted objects may be seen and identified by night.

(d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:

The 1.2 miles VLOS is a generous interpretation, so that is interesting. His statement about being required to stay no more than 400 ft above the takeoff point as opposed to the ground under the aircraft (if you understood him correctly) is wrong.

That is what I understand but I do not want to argue that with him. He is the professional that enforce the rules. I invite him to apport information in this thread for our benefit. Not sure if he is willing to do it.

Well, that's refreshing to see the education side of their authority.
I guess they could have penalised you, and probably would have if there was any sort of near miss incident with aircraft or person.

You and others here got some schooling and continue to fly in a more responsible way.

Yes, you probably misunderstood his altitude analogy.
If you take off and go up a hillside you can keep 400' from the ground level as it rises.
So too if you fly downwards from a take off point, you need to lower the drone to keep 400' max from the ground under the drone.
How do you do this ?
Very difficult, and probably in the real life drone pilots life you just have to give it our best guess, and probably stay a little under what you think is 400' above the ground below.

That is what I understand but I do not want to argue that with him. He is the professional that enforce the rules. I invite him to apport information in this thread for our benefit. Not sure if he is willing to do it.
Obviously you were not in the strongest position, given why you were speaking to him, but unless you misunderstood what he was saying then someone really should point out that he is wrong on that issue.

@Vic Moss ?

Reactions: MARK (LI)

I had to provide my drone registration and trust certificate.

(2) A visual observer.

Well, that's refreshing to see the education side of their authority.
I guess they could have penalised you, and probably would have if there was any sort of near miss incident with aircraft or person.

You and others here got some schooling and continue to fly in a more responsible way.

Yes, you probably misunderstood his altitude analogy.
If you take off and go up a hillside you can keep 400' from the ground level as it rises.
So too if you fly downwards from a take off point, you need to lower the drone to keep 400' max from the ground under the drone.
How do you do this ?
Very difficult, and probably in the real life drone pilots life you just have to give it our best guess, and probably stay a little under what you think is 400' about the ground below.
That is exactly what I was explain to him but he says I need to maintain AGL (About Ground Level).. Well I don't argued more. Probably I miss understood him is what I want to think.

Thanks for sharing @zeusfl
Maybe update your Video description with some of your reflections. So other young pilots don’t try to break your record.
Completely agree. I even was thinking to made a video talking about it but will be good to add the information in the video description from the actual test.

Reactions: AnzacJack
The 1.2 miles VLOS is a generous interpretation, so that is interesting. His statement about being required to stay no more than 400 ft above the takeoff point as opposed to the ground under the aircraft (if you understood him correctly) is wrong.
The 1.2 miles converted is 1930 meters and imo is “very” generous as that would likely have to apply to the general public and not someone who has extraordinary eyesight and to do it repeatedly in the majority of weather and lighting conditions.

Glancing away or losing it in sun glare etc and then reacquiring a drone the size of an M3 anywhere beyond a few hundred meters is challenging for me. Multiple times that doesn’t sound reasonable at all to me.

That is exactly what I was explain to him but he says I need to maintain AGL (About Ground Level).. Well I don't argued more. Probably I miss understood him is what I want to think.
Then ask him ,unless mistaken he joined today as @FAA Employee 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GFields
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78