DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 SDK - Admin Please leave here

The SDK in its entirety is used by the LITCHI Program - (So that is PROPER USE of the SDK) - and therefore at present LITCHI as we know it cannot be used by Mavic 3 - until the SDK is Released.

I have used LITCHI with all my drones for Waypoint services... which includes the VIRTUAL Litchi Mission and Litchi Hub - for Plotting ROUTES Via PC.
These Missions (once Tested Virtually on PC) can be uploaded to the LITCHI APP for using to fly immediately with the Drone.

DJI FLY does not offer these facilities and the 'Waypoints 3' built in app on FLY has a number of irritating Gitches which makes it unreliable.
THis includes Bezier curves, Small screen to PLAN on etc.
I wont use this ! I Need LITCHI ! - and its excellent Tools !

Reactions: MS Coast and Suren
I think you are just chatting with a naive, uninformed DJI rep, who doesn't know the history wherein DJI has already made it abundantly clear that all future SDK's are reserved Enterprise drones only. Call me crazy, but the battle has already been fought and lost. Every Mavic 3 owner could sign a petition requesting it, and DJI still wouldn't make one for the Mavic 3, especially now that it is officially discontinued, and replaced by the Mavic 3 Pro. Lastly, any such hypothetical SDK would require that you have updated the Mavic 3 to be broadcasting RID. Mine still isn't and won't be until it is compulsory, which, based upon insider information, looks like it will be postponed to some time next year, to be formalized by the FAA by the end of this week!

Reactions: maggior and Meta4
I think you are just chatting with a naive, uninformed DJI rep, who doesn't know the history wherein DJI has already made it abundantly clear that all future SDK's are reserved Enterprise drones only.

Huh? -
Frankly I dont care what DJI Announced.
I have bought and Still Use Previous Drones to the M3P
- I also bought and used LITCHI - which uses all the SDK's for the Previous Drones.

LITCHI was Created and SOLD to 1000's of People - for the Intention of Enhancing their Drone Experiences.

It used the DJI SDK's to be able to work.
DJI Drones almost from the 'Get go' issued supporting SDK's.
It became an Expected Package when Buying a Drone that the Supporting SDK would be released

QUITE FRANKLY DJI KNOWS that using LITCHI - always Provided an enhanced Experience for drone operators - Their Waypoint Planning tools were (and still are) exceptional in multiple ways.

The SDK's were mainly used by developers (not drone users directly) to enhance the Drones capabilities. The SDK fascilitated incredible 3rd party Software Packages - that could go OVER and above the DJI GO or Fly app.

Up to now DJI encouraged Developers to CREATE - there was no Monopoly on the Software.

Now LITCHI Says it does not support M3P because DJI has not issued the SDK.

BY CUTTING these (SDKs) off for the Mavic 3 Series - is SIMPLY SPITEFUL to developers - and users of 3rd party software - like Litchi.
This is a kind of MONOPOLY Bullying tactic - just to try get people to buy DJI enterpise stuff.

If a SUIT (a Court case) 'lets say' by Litchi or Drone Deploy against DJI in court ensued - there is Lots of
precedents whereby DJI made it the STATUS QUO, the EXPECTED package to issue a SDK with a Series. It has Always been done. - I believe a court would ORDER DJI to release an SDK - because of that presedent.
Companies like Litchi could claim huge damages - through loss of earnings/income and users could complain that the Adverts DID NOT Warn Users - "Litchi will never be available for this Drone !!"

I, for one expected to use Litchi as I always use as My Preferred software for the drone -
.... and I expected all the LITCHI Routes and work I had Previously created and Stored for my waypoint flights - to Naturally work with my BRAND NEW DJI MP3 drone.
I didnt know about their 'abundantly Clear' (OP) message thast there was to be NO SDK. (It wasnt on the ADVERTS ! )

BOTTOM LINE: DJI - Please just issue the Mavic 3 Consumer SDK - so that users and developers - can continue Liking the DJI Brand - by having OPTIONS on software to Fly

Last edited:
Reactions: shb and GadgetGuy
I agree with the above comments. I bought my M3 to be used with Dronelink & Maven, which go well beyond DJI Fly capability. I believe I was deceived with the purchase, in that there was expectation of SDK being released. So the question arises why isn't the sdk released?
The DJI rep seems to know very little about what's going on.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I think you are just chatting with a naive, uninformed DJI rep, who doesn't know the history wherein DJI has already made it abundantly clear that all future SDK's are reserved Enterprise drones only. Call me crazy, but the battle has already been fought and lost. Every Mavic 3 owner could sign a petition requesting it, and DJI still wouldn't make one for the Mavic 3, especially now that it is officially discontinued, and replaced by the Mavic 3 Pro. Lastly, any such hypothetical SDK would require that you have updated the Mavic 3 to be broadcasting RID. Mine still isn't and won't be until it is compulsory, which, based upon insider information, looks like it will be postponed to some time next year, to be formalized by the FAA by the end of this week!
be but she seems to be interested in what we want the SDK for. We will never know unless we try. Since I have her on WhatsApp, I have sent her the comments so far which seem relevant to the SDK. She also wants to know about the mapping because from her last message to me is that Dji wants to have a one stop app that can give their customers everything within the same app.

DJI simply dont have the TOOLS - to Create apps.
They have tried for four Years to immitate LITCHI

They are drone designers -...

Thats why others Make these amazing apps with the SDK.

Im curious why this person Questions you....

This is again how most Western Designs get plagiarized by chinese companies.

Tell her to Just supply the SDK

Reactions: GadgetGuy

BY CUTTING these (SDKs) off for the Mavic 3 Series - is SIMPLY SPITEFUL to developers - and users of 3rd party software - like Litchi.
This is a kind of MONOPOLY Bullying tactic - just to try get people to buy DJI enterpise stuff.

If a SUIT (a Court case) 'lets say' by Litchi or Drone Deploy against DJI in court ensued - there is Lots of
precedents whereby DJI made it the STATUS QUO, the EXPECTED package to issue a SDK with a Series. It has Always been done. - I believe a court would ORDER DJI to release an SDK - because of that presedent.
Companies like Litchi could claim huge damages - through loss of earnings/income and users could complain that the Adverts DID NOT Warn Users - "Litchi will never be available for this Drone !!"
If DJI releases an MSDK (aka Mobile SDK) for old product "A". that does not mean that DJI has the legal obligation to release an MSDK for new product "B". IANAL, but unless you purchased a drone that was advertised to have an MSDK available, there is no legal basis for a lawsuit.

DJI made it clear that new versions of MSDK will be intended for their enterprise product line. This post is from their developer support forum:
DJI said:
The MSDK is gradually prioritising to the enterprise level aircraft, the priority level of product from high to low is enterprise level aircraft > consumer level aircraft > hanheld product.
In my opinion, it's a poor business decision by DJI. It closes the door to innovation from developers will not have access to the enterprise product line. But it's not illegal what they did, just short-sighted.

I appreciate you @Suren for any and all efforts to change the mind of DJI on this. They need to understand the use case of automating flight via a 3rd party app is essential to making certain things possible for both hobbyist and commercial operators. The distinction between basic / advanced / commercial / pro are all just labels that do not really tell the story of where somebody is at on their drone journey. I for one do not have the drone tenure of a great majority that are in the field, however, I have been in the software industry enough years to know the power the SDK brings.

When I look at a task I want to accomplish, I value the ability to achieve it via code rather than fingers on the sticks. It does come down to their path forward - although I have been a solid customer of DJI in the past, that has been with the understanding that the SDK is part of the product. If that truly is not going to be the case going forward, I have to look to other brands in the future. (And yes, I understand the other brands out there are not as feature rich or capable.)

They are so close to being great! So close, but yet, some kind of anti-consumer sentiment has invaded their business model. Making commercial changes and movements like they did without consideration for their buyers is a red flag that is lurking in the back of my mind now for all future purchases. Another red flag for me is how their consumer products using DJI Fly require an internet connection every 30 days or else the account is signed out, and the device is more or less crippled on height and range until the account is signed back in. If there should be a conflict between countries, what is the guarantee that the server will be so generous as to allow a sign-in? These things have me looking at what drones may be more deserving of my spend.

Reactions: Suren and GadgetGuy
Huh? -
Frankly I dont care what DJI Announced.
I have bought and Still Use Previous Drones to the M3P
- I also bought and used LITCHI - which uses all the SDK's for the Previous Drones.

LITCHI was Created and SOLD to 1000's of People - for the Intention of Enhancing their Drone Experiences.

It used the DJI SDK's to be able to work.
DJI Drones almost from the 'Get go' issued supporting SDK's.
It became an Expected Package when Buying a Drone that the Supporting SDK would be released

QUITE FRANKLY DJI KNOWS that using LITCHI - always Provided an enhanced Experience for drone operators - Their Waypoint Planning tools were (and still are) exceptional in multiple ways.

The SDK's were mainly used by developers (not drone users directly) to enhance the Drones capabilities. The SDK fascilitated incredible 3rd party Software Packages - that could go OVER and above the DJI GO or Fly app.

Up to now DJI encouraged Developers to CREATE - there was no Monopoly on the Software.

I, for one expected to use Litchi as I always use as My Preferred software for the drone -
.... and I expected all the LITCHI Routes and work I had Previously created and Stored for my waypoint flights - to Naturally work with my BRAND NEW DJI MP3 drone.
I didnt know about their 'abundantly Clear' (OP) message thast there was to be NO SDK. (It wasnt on the ADVERTS ! )

BOTTOM LINE: DJI - Please just issue the Mavic 3 Consumer SDK - so that users and developers - can continue Liking the DJI Brand - by having OPTIONS on software to Fly
I have no disagreement with anything you have written.

However, despite all our pleas over the last 3 years, DJI has now decided not to provide SDK's on any non-Enterprise drones. Unfortunately, no online chat with any DJI rep is going to change that decision, no matter how helpful she comes across. She's clearly new, and ignorant of the history, but means well. Great way to create false hope!

Sadly, without the SDK's, Litchi can't do anything.

I agree with the above comments. I bought my M3 to be used with Dronelink & Maven, which go well beyond DJI Fly capability. I believe I was deceived with the purchase, in that there was expectation of SDK being released. So the question arises why isn't the sdk released?
The DJI rep seems to know very little about what's going on.
It was an executive decision by DJI. SDK's will only be provided for Enterprise drones going forward.

be but she seems to be interested in what we want the SDK for. We will never know unless we try. Since I have her on WhatsApp, I have sent her the comments so far which seem relevant to the SDK. She also wants to know about the mapping because from her last message to me is that Dji wants to have a one stop app that can give their customers everything within the same app.
DJI offers "everything" to Enterprise drone purchasers only. The Consumer line of pilots must reconcile themselves to what DJI decides to offer them, and an SDK isn't included. To their credit, DJI has offered us Waypoints with LSMC control, and keeps adding new features within their own app, like Cruise Control and now letting us see the camera view of the four OA cameras!

The one stop solution used to be the SDK. Let the third party developers give customers everything possible. Sadly, that is no more for the Consumer line of drones.

Do the best you can with what you have. Wanting what you can't have can only lead to disappointment and losing out on other opportunities. It's false hope, which "makes us cling to unrealistic expectations or possibilities that are highly unlikely to be fulfilled."

It's like asking a woman out, and after she says heck no, "But I am convinced she is really into me. No doesn't really mean no. It's just an invitation to negotiate." Sometimes no really means no. Sadly, this is one of those cases.

DJI simply dont have the TOOLS - to Create apps.
They have tried for four Years to immitate LITCHI

They are drone designers -...

Thats why others Make these amazing apps with the SDK.

Im curious why this person Questions you....

This is again how most Western Designs get plagiarized by chinese companies.

Tell her to Just supply the SDK
Indeed. The SDK is the solution, if they were truly interested! Upper management is not truly interested, unless you buy an Enterprise drone.

You were confident back in December that you had a DJI person interested but needing to know how many users were wanted the SDK.
Now it's happening all over again with another DJI person.
But the DJI people you talk to are very polite and tell you whatever they think will please you.
But they have no ability to get the changes you want and you end up with false hopes, like you did back in December with exactly this issue.

The people that matter in DJI don't care and are unlikely to change course now.

You were confident back in December that you had a DJI person interested but needing to know how many users were wanted the SDK.
But the DJI people you talk to are very polite and tell you whatever they think will please you.
But they have no ability to get the changes you want and you end up with false hopes, like you did back in December with exactly this issue.

I believe you are correct. As hopeless as it is with changing the course of their business plans, I still appreciate @Suren battering them with the ask. At the very least there are people at DJI that are hearing there is dissent within their consumer base about what some of us want.

Reactions: Suren

This is the same person that I have been communicating with since. The only difference is now that she and I communicate via WhatsApp instead of emails which she says makes communication faster. Whether or not she will truely help, I have no idea but the fact that she is willing to ask and get feedback is what counts and any small glimer of hope is well received. From my conversation with her recently, Dji seems to want to create an app that has all the features that 3rd parties offer hence she is asking what can Litchi do that the Fly app can't so that they can try to implement it. Will it happen - God Knows

For me honestly - Does the SDK make a difference and how often do I use waypoints? I will rarely make use of this feature so for me it does not bother me if the SDK is released or not BUT I see many others keep asking for it and hey if I can help because I have someones ear at Dji, then I can always try. We can't be sure if this will be fruitful or not but if they do evolve their own app to copy Litchi or release the SDK then it will benefit many. If it is a a majority vote that maybe I am wasting my time, I am glad to stop this insistance and will just test their FW and give only that feedback to them.

Dji seems to want to create an app that has all the features that 3rd parties offer hence she is asking what can Litchi do that the Fly app can't so that they can try to implement it.
Is this possible future app just aimed to be a Litchi substitute or would it also be a mapping app as well?
The ability to use the Mavic 3 for mapping would be a much more important thing, but given the way DJI have created their (overpriced) enterprise versions for mapping, I can't really see them allowing that functionality.

Reactions: TonyPHX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab