DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

Has anyone actually seen something that suggests the M3 is not compatible with the SCv1?

The Air 2S has Occusync 3.0 and works with the SCv1.
Nobody has been able to confirm if the current Smart Controller would work with the new M3. I guess DJI has not told those insiders who leak out information.

But I hope the current Smart Controller is compatible with the M3 or that would just not be cool of DJI.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Well so far we have no reason to believe it won't work and every reason to believe it will work (as it does with OS 3.0 on the Air 2S). I guess we'll find out on the 20th.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
At prices like these, I think they are pushing for a new model in between the air and the pro. Sometimes you see a product that is just a bit too good for it’s price, and I think both the m2p and a2s were like that. They both blow the market away, especially without the presence of real competitors. However, with prices like these, I think there will ot be a lot of people brainlessly buying the latest and greatest anymore. I ised to want that, bit no way I am shelling out €4k just for owning the latest. Especially with the whole ce stuff coming along soon, and I think the m3 will not have ce certification (otherwise we would surely have already heard about it).

At prices like these, I think they are pushing for a new model in between the air and the pro. Sometimes you see a product that is just a bit too good for it’s price, and I think both the m2p and a2s were like that. They both blow the market away, especially without the presence of real competitors. However, with prices like these, I think there will ot be a lot of people brainlessly buying the latest and greatest anymore. I ised to want that, bit no way I am shelling out €4k just for owning the latest. Especially with the whole ce stuff coming along soon, and I think the m3 will not have ce certification (otherwise we would surely have already heard about it).

Very common for market leaders (or those with exclusive products) to sell at a price that the market will bear.
They've had a few prosumer drones to test the waters now, so have probably pegged price to max the profit.
But these prices are like 30-40% higher, for the Fly More combo.

Maybe they have market data showing more people got their Part 107 licenses or more people are making money from their drones.

So they could justify that rumored Cine package price.

Because editing in ProRes and producing real high-quality output would be justified if one was making money.

I know film and TV shows are using drone footage more and more. Or at least replacing a lot of helicopter footage with drone footage.

But that still can't be that big of a market, though more TV shows are in production than ever before.

I just don't see too many hobbyists spending that kind of money. I spent about $4200 for my Nikon full-frame mirrorless and lens. Have spent thousands more on things like tripods and additional lenses.

I can afford the rumored price but I really wonder how much I will get to use it, as more and more restrictions are imposed on flying. You're already locked out of a lot of the most scenic locations and the trend is getting worse.

Plus, I'm not big on video. I'm not going to spend time to learn or edit elaborate videos so ProRes probably has little value for me. I shoot some videos, mostly flying around a landscape and then shoot automated panos and then some hyper lapses. I would probably use the automated video modes like those on the Air2S, just to use more video capabilities.

My video output is to a Youtube channel, so ProRes is overkill for that. Whatever quality I produce, it's going to look crappy on Youtube. And I don't want to spend a lot to add storage to keep high-quality video which will mostly be playable on my computer. I wonder if there is even a way to stream high bitrate video to my big screen TV. Probably would have to compress and reduce the bitrate a lot.

The sources that I've talked to none of them have been able to give me a definite answer. Like I've been trying to find out if it also has a ADS-B out but still waiting on an answer.
It's not going to have ADS-B out, since that is not legal for sUAS.

Reactions: tleedom
The C label or mark once more shows that good intentions not necessarily lead to good effort nor results.
Both parties, DJI and the certification authorities, are apt to tell, how it's done and why it has not been done yet.

It's just ridiculous. Instead of making it easier and more comprehensible, it's not working for whatever reasons yet still you can buy and fly in a class more restricted than before as a fallback.

But I guess, that is once again Europeans just making European things unfortunately.

Last edited:
For me its going to come down to the Zoom ability as a good zoom camera alone is close to $3000 grand so if its really a good zoom , much of the money has to be in that equation.

So if the Mavic 3 has a camera with 32 Zoom than the Price makes some sense based on this .

If I have a good zoom , i would never had to leave my house . lol
After years of capturing the storms and finding my Pizza guy when he is lost , a good zoom would be fantastic.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

See prices for Zoom Cameras.

2021-10-09_10h16_32.png

For me its going to come down to the Zoom ability as a good zoom camera alone is close to $3000 grand so if its really a good zoom , much of the money has to be in that equation.

So if the Mavic 3 has a camera with 32 Zoom than the Price makes some sense based on this .

After years of capturing the storms and finding my Pizza guy when he is lost , a good zoom would be fantastic.

Phantomrain.org

View attachment 136142
I posted this on another thread. This might take your doubts away.

The cost is relevant to use. If this is a tool that makes an income the price is irrelevant since it is the tool that completes the job just like the even more expensive drones out there for movie production. If this drone is for hobby then yes, that is a lot of money for something an average user would not gain real benefit from. Personally, my home movie and photo collection will be fine with the Air 2S or Mini 2. I would like a Mavic 3 just because it has fantastic specs but its priced above my means for use. Yep, its expensive but only for some.

If I sold my Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, and smart controller I could almost get into the fly more combo. Ha.
I had someone mentioned price is relevant to use. Flying drones is my full-time job. I’m more than likely will be Buying as soon as it hits the shelves. And then I will be writing it off at the end of the year.

Reactions: smashse
I imagine it depends on how serious one takes one's hobbies. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on Skiing, Scuba Diving, Photography (especially Underwater Photo), mountain biking, Travel and even Model Railroading just to name a few popular hobbies. Why would I treat my UAS hobby differently?

Reactions: tleedom and smashse
I mean we call it a "pro" drone for a reason. They have the Mini and A2S which are both quite capable for hobbyists. While the M3 is more prosumer than fully pro, it has a lot of features that others do not. I'd love it if Autel was just a little more polished and more automation was compatible, or Yuunec, but they aren't. I mean there's a reason people are here instead of on the Autel Pilots forum, the DJI is just that little bit better in some aspects. Cost isn't one of them but they are still the market leader.

And it is in a great midpoint before the Inspire 2. For hobbyists that like to make a little money on the side. Have you seen what wedding photographers pay for their cameras, even if only doing a couple weddings a year? And their cameras don't even attempt to fly on their own.

And the M3 is better than the M2P. With the M2P still selling used for $1700, I am completely fine with the $2700 for an M3 fly more combo brand new with more sensors, a better camera, and longer flight times. I do not like inheriting other peoples problems.

And if you aren't using it for pro reasons, wait a year and buy it used. You don't need the latest brand new car, I mean how many people replace their car every year as a new model comes out? Not many unless money is of no concern for them, or there is a business reason for it.

I'd be curious to see the composition of membership here.

Are there more pros making a living from drones or hobbyists who do not get paid for their drone work?

Yes hobbyists can spend thousands.

Maybe Inspire 3 will go well over $10k now, since people are making a living flying them.

Phantomrain.org

View attachment 136142

There has never been anything in the leaks that has ever suggested it has a zoom lens, unfortunately.

I think a lot of people are misusing the word "zoom" (including some of the leakers) when they should be using the word "telephoto" and that seems to be confusing a lot of people.

It probably will have some sort of software based hybrid digital "zoom" but that isn't the same obviously.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Leaves a anxious taste for Inspire 3... if it appears... $8-12k.
The M3P and newer yet released maybe the new I3 replacement.
Might have a M3?? with swappable payload setup on MFT or FF sensor that pretty much replaces Inspire2.

EVO 2 Pro 6K Rugged Kit and 3 batteries apx $2200,
EVO 2 Pro 6k Enterprise kit with 3 batteries & Smart Controller apx $3800.
Both EVO platforms have swappable payloads, Enterprise has larger motors & props... maybe larger payloads yet to announce.

Evo 2 Pro 6k Enterprise vs M3P... won't upset the market, but I'd be looking harder at EVO 2 Enterprise before decision.

I posted this on another thread. This might take your doubts away.
From the beginning, I've heard 7x optical zoom. If it's fixed focus, the question is, 7X what? The other camera? I doubt switching from one camera to the other will be a seamless transition or the colors will looks the same or even the exact same framing. At this point, I'm DEFINITELY waiting awhile before buying...and seriously considering other companies.

From the beginning, I've heard 7x optical zoom.
I guess, that derives of wishful thinking.
If you take 24 mm as the wide angle and rumoured 160 mm EQV for the tele lens, than you are at about a factor of 7 x. That somehow translated to some people as zoom, which can be either seen correct or false. It's "correct" as a multiplier starting from 24 mm but you will be not able to continously zoom in between.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid