DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 Fell straight down and crashed

Here are the flight records and logs. Sorry it won’t let me up load logs. I uploaded to AIRDATA and ran the logs and all GREEN. Everything was fine until it wasn’t.
I’m off to work. I’ll try later. PLEASE DONT REMOVE THIS THREAD. I’m trying to get what is needed to help.
Walkmnn

That's the txt log that you included in post #13. It's not clear if you read post #15, but this is not an isolated occurrence of this particular pathology. The DAT file that @slup mentioned might include something, but they haven't in other similar cases.

There is no reason why this thread would be removed.

It's amazing that the rest of the craft suffered from so little damage. If the lights were still blinking after the crash then it's not a power failure. May be the flight controller just reset in the air for some reasons ? The .DAT files should allow more insight to be obtained. What can be sure is that it's not a case of pilot error as the pilot has done nothing. You should be able to get a replacment from DJI.

It's amazing that the rest of the craft suffered from so little damage. If the lights were still blinking after the crash then it's not a power failure. May be the flight controller just reset in the air for some reasons ? The .DAT files should allow more insight to be obtained. What can be sure is that it's not a case of pilot error as the pilot has done nothing. You should be able to get a replacment from DJI.

The DAT files on other similar incidents have told us nothing additional, unfortunately. But agreed on the replacement issue - this is clearly equipment failure.

The DAT files on other similar incidents have told us nothing additional, unfortunately. But agreed on the replacement issue - this is clearly equipment failure.
Good Grief sar104!!! How I do enjoy reading your analysis and explanations. Your value to this forum and to all of us can not be overstated! Thank you sir for all you do.
Best of luck to the OP!

Does seem like an equipment failure. Best to send it back to DJI to diagnose to see if it’s a inherent software issue. Like the Spark a few years ago.

I don't think these are power failures. Those were common enough on some other Mavics and were almost always triggered by abrupt flight maneuvers, but the MA2 events don't have that signature.
I was doing some "abrupt" flying today over water (chasing wave runners), should I be worried about an FC failure? From what your post reads, no, but if this is a problem from the past maybe give it more time to rear its head before flying "abruptly" over water? Would it have already shown up more often?

Thanks for all your advice and guidance!

I was doing some "abrupt" flying today over water (chasing wave runners), should I be worried about an FC failure? From what your post reads, no, but if this is a problem from the past maybe give it more time to rear its head before flying "abruptly" over water? Would it have already shown up more often?

It's clearly not a common event, so it really depends on the level of risk you are comfortable with of not being able to recover the aircraft if it goes down in water. But that consideration applies to any kind of failure.

I'm not taking any chances and getting a Sea Jacket for my MA2 because I am around a lot of water.
And I have seen enough post of people losing it in the water.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
It's clearly not a common event, so it really depends on the level of risk you are comfortable with of not being able to recover the aircraft if it goes down in water. But that consideration applies to any kind of failure.
FC failure means warranty means no need to recover, right?

Still seconding the rescue jacket.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Unless the logs shows failure. Otherwise, someone might finds a way to get a free new MA2, without actually losing their drone.
Absolutely, I'm not condoning anything of the sort, just wondering if I could prove the AC had an FC failure over water, would recovery be necessary.

I have a strict policy for flying over water or any flight. The memory cards are cheap. I change the memory card when I change battery or after I know I got some great shots.
Walkmnn

Reactions: itsneedtokno
That's the txt log that you included in post #13. It's not clear if you read post #15, but this is not an isolated occurrence of this particular pathology. The DAT file that @slup mentioned might include something, but they haven't in other similar cases.

There is no reason why this thread would be removed.
Dirkclod said if I didn’t post logs the thread wouldn’t continue. I’m doing my best. I’m calling DJI tomorrow and hopefully resolve this. By the way my MCDatflightrecords folder is empty.
2470E88A-1789-4B24-A145-286FEEB895C0.png

Reactions: DynoTech
Dirkclod said if I didn’t post logs the thread wouldn’t continue. I’m doing my best. I’m calling DJI tomorrow and hopefully resolve this. By the way my MCDatflightrecords folder is empty.
View attachment 107631

I think you will find that he meant post the logs if you want any useful feedback - not that the thread would be deleted.

The MCDatFlightRecords folder is likely empty because you have the DJI Fly app set to auto-sync flight records - when that happens it deletes the DAT files.

When you talk to DJI I suggest pointing out that the sudden end to the flight record during a steady hover suggests that this was aircraft failure, and that there are several other documented cases.

In addition to what sar104 said, tell them the battery was still attached and lights were flashing. It’s not a case of battery just popping off.

Well, talking to DJI customer service didn’t go as planned. I could barely understand the gentleman. He basically read from a script. Didn’t care what happened. “Just go to [email protected] and fill out repair order”. That’s all he said. Went to customer service CHAT and communicated with a guy named Chard. Got nowhere again.
I live 30 minutes from DJI’s Cerritos facility and wanted to do a walk in, evaluate and walk away with a replacement. It took guys on this site seconds to look at and evaluate the failure. I need the drone by this Thursday for a video shoot this weekend. Can anyone send me a lead to DJI? Or do I really have to go out and buy another drone with money I don’t have? If it was pilot error, I would put my tail between my legs and buy it. But, since it appears that it wasn’t, exceptions should be made. DJI needs to have a walk in facility for cases like mine.
This is not a slap on DJI’s face and customer service, this was just my experience this morning.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Thank you
Walkmnn

Well, talking to DJI customer service didn’t go as planned. I could barely understand the gentleman. He basically read from a script. Didn’t care what happened. “Just go to [email protected] and fill out repair order”. That’s all he said. Went to customer service CHAT and communicated with a guy named Chard. Got nowhere again.
I live 30 minutes from DJI’s Cerritos facility and wanted to do a walk in, evaluate and walk away with a replacement. It took guys on this site seconds to look at and evaluate the failure. I need the drone by this Thursday for a video shoot this weekend. Can anyone send me a lead to DJI? Or do I really have to go out and buy another drone with money I don’t have? If it was pilot error, I would put my tail between my legs and buy it. But, since it appears that it wasn’t, exceptions should be made. DJI needs to have a walk in facility for cases like mine.
This is not a slap on DJI’s face and customer service, this was just my experience this morning.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Thank you
Walkmnn

If you are using this equipment for commercial work then you probably should have at least one backup unit anyway.

Reactions: Baldric99
What are you talking about all the problems? Please show me where all these problem posts are.. I Have 75 flights on my mavic air 2 and it is a very good flying aircraft..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka