DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 motors surging in flight

skaggsterryl

Reactions
I noticed the last two flights i had with my Mavic Air 2 that the motors sounds like they are surging....and notice the aircraft is
tipping up then down on my return to home. I have replaced the props and calibrated IMU ....any suggestions???

Was it fighting gusty wind? Look at a replay of the flight in the app and see if it maintained a fairly steady speed.

Reactions: twickers14
A drone flys at various speeds by changing its tilt and motor speeds, one is a function of the other.
If it is encountering gusts then, to hold position or direction and speed of land relative travel, it must vary its tilt. The vertical component of its thrust must be such that it obeys you commands with regards to height therefore it has to change motor speed too.
I can't comment on hearing motors rev but any time the drone is close enough to see tilt changes clearly then is will almost certainly be obvious that the drone's tilt varies almost continuously.
If it is not the the drone is either flying on a more or less windless day or in constant speed wind with no gusts or eddies.

more information...did several test flights at different altitudes.....seems it only happens when it is in normal mode on the controller...not in Cine mode or in sport mode....if i am in normal mode and have it flying at full speed approx 21mph it will intermittently pitch up and speed drops to around 10 then it goes back to full speed....wondering if im am experiencing small wind differentials or I live at 8000' which might explain it also......just never noticed this before

Ok, have a read of the instructions on
retrieve an appropriate log and upload it to that site and post the URL here.

The ASL ceiling of the Air2 is 5000m 16,404ft according to the manual, so 8,000ft should be no bother.

nothing out of the ordinary it seems....i looked at flights on Airdata as well getting dark here now so will do more tests tomorrow.....it pitches up like it is trying to stop and speed decreases then goes back up and i didnt move the right joy stick away from the full throttle position. weird....and the wind speeds were under 6mph according to Airdata

Puzzling log, do you by any chance have access to another controller?
Am I correct in thinking OA was switched off?

Last edited:
What was the puzzling part of the log?? The mode changes were me trying to isolate when it would tip up and when it wouldn't ......I appreciate the help
The way it seems to wobble in p-gps. I guessed the reason behind the mode changes, can you try another controller and can you confirm OA was switched off?

A log for perhaps @slup @sar104 @Meta4

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15