DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2S with iPad Mini 4

CVA Flyer

Reactions
New to this forum resource and hoping to learn and reciprocally provide any insight.

I recently acquired a Mavic Air 2S, having previously flown a Phantom 3 Standard for a few years. I used an iPad Mini 4 (non cellular) with the P3S and now want to use it with the Mavic Air 2S. When connecting the iPad the DJI Fly app indicates "No GPS, Fly with caution", compared to when an iPhone X is connected the status toggles between that warning and "Ready to fly".

Does the iPad require GPS or is there another reason for this? I can use the iPhone but would prefer the iPad (especially having made the small investment in the holder adapter).

Thank you!

New to this forum resource and hoping to learn and reciprocally provide any insight.

I recently acquired a Mavic Air 2S, having previously flown a Phantom 3 Standard for a few years. I used an iPad Mini 4 (non cellular) with the P3S and now want to use it with the Mavic Air 2S. When connecting the iPad the DJI Fly app indicates "No GPS, Fly with caution", compared to when an iPhone X is connected the status toggles between that warning and "Ready to fly".

Does the iPad require GPS or is there another reason for this? I can use the iPhone but would prefer the iPad (especially having made the small investment in the holder adapter).

Thank you!
Take the MA 2S outside, turn everything on and wait. At the top right will be an icon displaying the # of connected GPS sats. When this hits about 9 or 10 there are enough sats connected to track the drone's position and the app will save the home point. At the top left and app will indicate safe to fly with GPS.
(iPad does not need GPS)

Reactions: Rchawks
Take the MA 2S outside, turn everything on and wait. At the top right will be an icon displaying the # of connected GPS sats. When this hits about 9 or 10 there are enough sats connected to track the drone's position and the app will save the home point. At the top left and app will indicate safe to fly with GPS.
(iPad does not need GPS)
Great! I appreciate the reply, thank you.

OK... I'm looking at getting an ipad mini 4, from what I read, I néed one with gps for it to work properly, which means having to look for a cellular model, as only cellular have gps.

Be good if you could definitely clarify wether ipad needs gps or not. It could save me a fair bit of money

OK... I'm looking at getting an ipad mini 4, from what I read, I néed one with gps for it to work properly, which means having to look for a cellular model, as only cellular have gps.

Be good if you could definitely clarify wether ipad needs gps or not. It could save me a fair bit of money
I've flown all my DJI drones (7 types) with either and iPad Air, mini2 and mini4. None of these were cellular models. However the mini4 is getting old and many times at take-off of my MA mini-2 I get a CPU overload warning on the mini4 iPad. I've read that a mini6 iPad will be coming out in Sept. You might want to hold out for this one.

Reactions: HeliDog
The mini 4 works great with Go4 but struggles a bit with Fly. Had to delete (or sleep) other apps and disable cache to get the cpu warning to stop. Don’t fly with the warning as can get nearly impossible to fly. Been there, lol.
PS Cell not necessary.

The mini 4 works great with Go4 but struggles a bit with Fly. Had to delete (or sleep) other apps and disable cache to get the cpu warning to stop. Don’t fly with the warning as can get nearly impossible to fly. Been there, lol.
PS Cell not necessary.
I've had the same problem with my mini 4, strangely the Fly app still works very well on my ancient iPhone 5S. I'll probably splurge on a mini 6 when they come out as I like to fly with the larger viewscreen.

Reactions: Capt KO
I've flown all my DJI drones (7 types) with either and iPad Air, mini2 and mini4. None of these were cellular models. However the mini4 is getting old and many times at take-off of my MA mini-2 I get a CPU overload warning on the mini4 iPad. I've read that a mini6 iPad will be coming out in Sept. You might want to hold out for this one.
I had the same problem with my mini 4. I've came to a resolution to the CPU overload notification. The problem was the video cache in the GoFly app
Solved: CPU overload notification. The GoFly app has an on/off option for video cache. Turn this off. No more overload. Had this same problem and it worked. Good as new👍 Hope this helps.

You don't "need" it, but I prefer having especially out doing large orthomosaics as it shows where the iPad is on the map before having to get the drone out. So if you get cellular it will show the location of the controller in GO and FLY as well as the drone home point

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan