DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air bad camera/lens?

"Unfortunately, the Mavic Air is not an approved device for insurance missions."

The above response was received from DroneBase support. Just tried to register my Mavic Air to do aerial photography for real estate and insurance. So sad!!!

Does anyone know why the Air is not approved? From what I know, it's feature competitive with a Pro.

Does anyone know why the Air is not approved? From what I know, it's feature competitive with a Pro.

Not sure what “insurance missions” even means. Could simply mean they don’t insure if used for commercial purposes but I’m not sure why they care. You’re not buying liability insurance, are you? In any case likely State Farm would insure you. Check with them.

Z

I don't think it has to do with Insurance. I can get that from Skywatch. And while State Farm will insure the drone, the policy excludes commercial operations. Could it be picture quality? I think the Air is equivalent roughly to a Pro. Battery life? Other?

I don't think it has to do with Insurance. I can get that from Skywatch. And while State Farm will insure the drone, the policy excludes commercial operations. Could it be picture quality? I think the Air is equivalent roughly to a Pro. Battery life? Other?

Oh I misunderstood. Should have known by what thread it’s in. As far as I know it’s inherent to the camera lens itself, but can be corrected by software post-processing

Z

Oh I misunderstood. Should have known by what thread it’s in. As far as I know it’s inherent to the camera lens itself, but can be corrected by software post-processing

Z

I shoot full RAW with the Mavic Air, and Adobe Lightroom CC does a great job of taking the embedded lens corrections and applying them to the image non-destructively. I should get one of those test targets to see how good of a job it does, but as far as I can tell with normal pictures, it does a fairly good job.

Having said that, any RAW-processing software should be able to pull that embedded lens correction data and automatically apply it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet