Join Us Now

Mavic Air descending autonomously while going backwards

ryestylen

Reactions
Drone: Mavic Air
Flights: 132
Firmware: v01.00.0500

flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Mavic air has recently started rapidly descending autonomously while going backwards on the right stick.
see photo below where my right stick is at 100% reverse which is what im pressing.
While my right stick sits around 84% which is descending the drone towards ground and while im not even touching it that stick.
46098101_269010940424228_4046354771928416256_n.jpg

Similar thing happens while going forward but is only ascending at around 56% autonomously.
46094245_173077253645207_9191578519971299328_n.jpg
Controller has been calibrated.
Both values are huge making the drone extremely dangerous when flying the drone.
has anyone come across the same issue at all and how did you go about it?

TIA

Last edited:
Just now re calibrated remote control and every time i moved right joystick up or down the right joystick would move look like it was moving onscreen when i wasnt even touching it. will be contacting DJI support tomorrow to see options.

Has worked perfectly fine for 8 months till last week.

46089479_2035563846735758_1477220840016707584_n.jpg46112768_261777821354119_2448232861682106368_n.jpg

Have you always had this issue or started after the last FW update?

The aircraft is behaving appropriately for the recorded throttle input:

altitude.png

However, the throttle input looks very strange, and comparing it to the elevator input illustrates what you are referring to - although it appears to be a problem with both forward and reverse elevator:

throttle.png

The throttle appears to be following the elevator input, with a lot of additional noise. I've never seen that before, but I would guess that it is most likely a faulty RC.

Does this happen everywhere you use it?

That looks like a mining site for some earth metal!

Edit; maybe not then RJJG+JP Drysdale, Victoria, Australia
Edit, Edit;
"ESG Drysdale
  • To enter site, you must have a working UHF radio. The UHF channel is posted on signs when you enter the site, or ask the employee in the site
Is this going to interfere with the Mavic?

Edit, Edit; Or are you sure the place is free of metal beneath or around your feet?Screenshot_20181112_173328.png

Last edited:
Does this happen everywhere you use it?

That looks like a mining site for some earth metal!

Edit; maybe not then RJJG+JP Drysdale, Victoria, Australia
Edit, Edit;
"ESG Drysdale
  • To enter site, you must have a working UHF radio. The UHF channel is posted on signs when you enter the site, or ask the employee in the site
Is this going to interfere with the Mavic?

Edit, Edit; Or are you sure the place is free of metal beneath or around your feet?View attachment 53128
The site is a landfill, I do frequent progress photos and videos and have done so for the last 6 months logging well over 30 flights there.

Have never had any issues like this in the last at this site. But saying that I havnt flown anywhere else since this problem although Im certain its going to happen again.

I re calibrated the controller and when moving the left joystick up and down it was reading on the right joystick autonomously also. Will contact dji today.

Reactions: SpinItUp
The site is a landfill, I do frequent progress photos and videos and have done so for the last 6 months logging well over 30 flights there.

Have never had any issues like this in the last at this site. But saying that I havnt flown anywhere else since this problem although Im certain its going to happen again.

I re calibrated the controller and when moving the left joystick up and down it was reading on the right joystick autonomously also. Will contact dji today.

That definitely sounds like a faulty RC.

Just now re calibrated remote control and every time i moved right joystick up or down the right joystick would move look like it was moving onscreen when i wasnt even touching it. will be contacting DJI support tomorrow to see options.

Has worked perfectly fine for 8 months till last
I had the same problem as you. Dron turned me to the right, although I did not touch the command. During calibration, I saw that even without giving command values, they were not zero. After the frequent move of the rods, the remote control started to work properly. I guess the dust has made a problem in the controller.

Quick update, called dji support, advised me to refresh update RC in dji assist on pc. Had troubles connecting to pc so left it.

Recalibrated the RC for a fourth time, this time with success going through the calibration cycle as normal.

Time and further testing with let me know if RC is faulty or if it was a once off...

Although every time before taking off I calibrate the rc controller, it happens that the drone slowly turns into one or the other side. I tried to restore the settings to the RC controller to the factory settings, via the assistant 2 but unsuccessfully. Basically if the dron starts to set, I pull the controller rods in several directions several times, after which the rc controller starts to work well.

I had a similar issue and returned my mavic air for repair under warranty. The repair note stated “power board failure”. Awaiting now the repaired device.

I had that same problem and here is what fixed it for me.
If you turn on your RC and get a beeping sound its telling you the control sticks are not centered. I turn off the RC and wiggle both sticks in all directions then turn back on the RC and all is well. I now wiggle the sticks before I turn on the RC and no longer have the problem.

PS It seams to happen more when it has sat for a while.

I had that same problem and here is what fixed it for me.
If you turn on your RC and get a beeping sound its telling you the control sticks are not centered. I turn off the RC and wiggle both sticks in all directions then turn back on the RC and all is well. I now wiggle the sticks before I turn on the RC and no longer have the problem.

PS It seams to happen more when it has sat for a while.
Works for me too

I know the Mavic Air is EOL now, but I still get mine out from time to time. Today it had this exact problem.
In default stick set-up, with forward and reverse on left and up and down throttle on right. Whenever I moved forward, it would ascend, and reverse, it would descend. I tried to calibrate the sticks. No change. But I noticed that when I moved the left stick forward and back without touching the right stick, the up and down numbers changed as well. I worked out that I could counteract the up and down with pressure in the opposite direction and keep the drone on the level that way.
But instead, I went into custom settings and put the left and right yaw on the front to back axis on the left stick, and the up and down throttle on the left to right axis of the left stick. The right stick has Forward/Backward Left/Right. Now it only moves forward and back a little when using yaw. It will take a little adjusting to get used to, but much safer. You could do other combinations, but main thing is to get up and down away from the messed up stick.

I know the Mavic Air is EOL now, but I still get mine out from time to time. Today it had this exact problem.
In default stick set-up, with forward and reverse on left and up and down throttle on right. Whenever I moved forward, it would ascend, and reverse, it would descend. I tried to calibrate the sticks. No change. But I noticed that when I moved the left stick forward and back without touching the right stick, the up and down numbers changed as well. I worked out that I could counteract the up and down with pressure in the opposite direction and keep the drone on the level that way.
But instead, I went into custom settings and put the left and right yaw on the front to back axis on the left stick, and the up and down throttle on the left to right axis of the left stick. The right stick has Forward/Backward Left/Right. Now it only moves forward and back a little when using yaw. It will take a little adjusting to get used to, but much safer. You could do other combinations, but main thing is to get up and down away from the messed up stick.
Since this thread was created the cause of these "ghost" inputs have been established ...

The stick hall sensors needs cleaning if a stick calibration can't solve the issue. Had this with my MA1 also but there throttle became coupled with yaw. All good after the cleaning.

Follow this in order to disassemble the RC (a bit fiddly but fully doable) & what to clean,

Reactions: EpicFlight
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78