DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air fell out of the sky

Reactions: dayslastserenade
I am guessing some particles of ice from that cloud blocked one of the rotors, and the fall freed the motor before touching ground. I am sure your heart stopped for a minute, but glad you got your baby back safe and sound

I was thinking the same ice could have formed on the props and blocked the motor or motors just enough to cause the error.. man those Airs are tough little quads..

I am guessing some particles of ice from that cloud blocked one of the rotors, and the fall freed the motor before touching ground. I am sure your heart stopped for a minute, but glad you got your baby back safe and sound
Yeah I remember thinking "That's the quickest I've ever lost $800." Then I started looking at the map. I was pretty nervous about walking out on the lake, but I took my brother with me just in case lol. The find my drone feature in the app was really helpful. Took me to the exact spot. It was hiding out down below some snow, so I had to dig for a moment to find it.

Yeah I remember thinking "That's the quickest I've ever lost $800." Then I started looking at the map. I was pretty nervous about walking out on the lake, but I took my brother with me just in case lol. The find my drone feature in the app was really helpful. Took me to the exact spot. It was hiding out down below some snow, so I had to dig for a moment to find it.

Tough? Mine fell 2 feet to the ground inside, on a carpet, and the gimbal is screwed up.

wow, glad you also didn't hurt your self walking over the frozen lake to get the thing!

Yeah I don’t see anything either, and there were no feathers down below when I found the drone haha. It was cold, maybe around 20 degrees, and it was a bit foggy, but I also didn’t notice any icing or anything like that either. I’m just a bit scared to fly it around currently
I'm new to this.... but I'd guess it was weather related. You can see condensation hit your camera lens at one point. Maybe ice on a blade, but I'd think you'd notice vibrations and your video was smooth until the flip.

Nice video and glad your MA survived.

Wow tough cookie, ice I would say, my mavic would have been destroyed, watched a you tube other day some one was trying everything to demolish his air and that is a bullet proof drone, glad she back in your hands, good footage way to much sidewind and snow no dought was your issue

I watched that video! This thing is one tough cookie.

Try reading the manual next time you buy a DJI product. Why was you even flying in these crazy cold conditions with so much moisture in the air too? What caused the problem? YOU DID!

Possible blade icing? IF icing were to have occurred, the blades would have had to spin faster and faster to counter the lack of efficiency of the airfoil. Maybe the system interpreted that as an obstruction? Just my .02!

Glad you got her back though!!

EDIT - Tried posting this a bit ago, and my system locked. I see you already considered blade icing as a possible culprit. Regarding trusting her again, I'm assuming you did a VERY detailed post flight after the incident? A tiny little surface crack could be disastrous in the air...

Take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory...

I fly in temps below zero a lot. We just had a big ice storm. I was out right after the precipitation stopped and it was very foggy and cold. Still never seen an icing issue maybe it depends on where you are above sea level.

Reactions: Pepsiman
Try reading the manual next time you buy a DJI product. Why was you even flying in these crazy cold conditions with so much moisture in the air too? What caused the problem? YOU DID!

Sometimes it's fun to experiment :)

Reactions: Brandaloo
rtfm isnt the key,the key is retention

Friend of mine relayed a story like yours, conditions were much the same, cold, wet, foggy, his P4 (North Bay, Ontario) did a few loops & corrected itself on the way down, got message- motor obstruction, the P4 embedded itself in a snow bank, took him a while to dig her out!

Hello all, I just wanted to add to this thread this just happened to me today. I was doing a point of interest fly under 200 feet around a building. I noticed the obstructed motor warning. No birds in sight. Then my Mavic air feel, hits the ground and breaks up. I’m going to mail it back to DGI this afternoon.
Thoughts?

Should I try and retreave the information off of it first?

Hello all, I just wanted to add to this thread this just happened to me today. I was doing a point of interest fly under 200 feet around a building. I noticed the obstructed motor warning. No birds in sight. Then my Mavic air feel, hits the ground and breaks up. I’m going to mail it back to DGI this afternoon.
Thoughts?

There is nothing readable to retrieve from the Mavic Air - its DAT file is encrypted and unreadable by anyone other than DJI - just like the Mavic 2. The txt and DAT logs on the mobile device are readable if you want to try to explore what happened.

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about this. Not exactly what I wanted to hear since I had my maiden mavic air flight a week ago! Sounds like you bought the DJI insurance?

Yes, I bought it after the deadline and had to do the whole video “dog and pony show”! But glad I did.... But how is this my fault? I’m thinking this should be covered by manufacture warenty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11