DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2....

I would have thought taking photos and videos would be fairly high up on the agenda of anyone buying a DJI drone? I can't image buying one just for the thrill of flying? Surely there are far faster and cheaper racing style drones to fill the need to have something buzzing about the sky?
After flying an fpv racing drone a DJI drone is like driving a powerwheels kids car. Lol although I did stick and fpv camera on my air and am excited about getting some nice fast smooth video.

Reactions: MavicMo
Hmmm, latest rumor on mp2 price is 1300. That means at least 1500 for the fly more package, 500 more than the Air fly more. On the other hand, if the rumor of 35 mins. flight time is correct, some people will be willing to forego the fly more and just get one extra battery, saving some money. I've said I'm leaning towards the Air as being better overall than the Pro, with better tech and portability and price and slightly better camera and gimbal outweighing the Pro's advantages, but I thought I'd end up getting the mp2 rather than switching from Pro to Air. But 1500 dollars+? Maybe I'll still get the Air. It's so hard to wait and see..

Hmmm, latest rumor on mp2 price is 1300. That means at least 1500 for the fly more package, 500 more than the Air fly more. On the other hand, if the rumor of 35 mins. flight time is correct, some people will be willing to forego the fly more and just get one extra battery, saving some money. I've said I'm leaning towards the Air as being better overall than the Pro, with better tech and portability and price and slightly better camera and gimbal outweighing the Pro's advantages, but I thought I'd end up getting the mp2 rather than switching from Pro to Air. But 1500 dollars+? Maybe I'll still get the Air. It's so hard to wait and see..
I hope its 1300, which means its out of my price range and I wont be tempted to buy it lol

Reactions: Akimba
I would have thought taking photos and videos would be fairly high up on the agenda of anyone buying a DJI drone? I can't image buying one just for the thrill of flying? Surely there are far faster and cheaper racing style drones to fill the need to have something buzzing about the sky?
Yes, that was my initial thought as well when I first bought the MP. But after a year at this forum I see many that are more into the flying part than actually capturing images. I have a couple of racing drones and believe, as you, that they give more action than the MP. However, flying a racing drone need more skill. Maybe the easiness and the great range makes the MP so appealing other than just exist as a flying digital camera. I don’t think the MP2 will be much better in “the flying for fun” department, only more expensive with better image capturing capabilities.

Reactions: mavicsun
So if the MP2 is all we hope for it to be, that means DJI is ending the MP4 line. I wonder if there will be a 5 or if MP2 will now be king. I think the 1" sensor is going to convert alot of P4P users, unless.... the P5 is mind boggling amazing..

Where did you read this? I'm seeing 1 / 2.3 and that's about 1/4 the size of the 1" sensor category (which confusingly enough isn't actually an inch across but more like 15mm).

I'm seeing the new Mavic sensor slotting between the current one and the Zenmuses to make it an improvement but not cut into sales of the other.

Int he end we are just making predictions. I think we can agree it'll be better and be competitive.
Autel has a prototype they may release as a "Pro" version of the EVO. The standard version is the one with 1/2.3.

If Autel's EVO has rear collision sensors, a very good camera sensor (albeit not as good as the P4P or the supposed 1" coming on the MP2), and the purported $1,000 price tag, DJI had better come up with something good. Otherwise, it sounds like the EVO may draw people away from DJI, especially if the claimed $1,300-1,500 price tag is true.
The Evo has the Binocular vision in the front like the Mavic. The sensors in the back are only infared, which will stop when it comes to an obstacle, but cannot go around the obstruction. Not as good as the Mavic Air, but still better than the Pro. I am still very interested in the EVO because of its controller with its built-in OLED screen for both telemetry and FPV when your phone dies. Other benefits of the EVO are its 3D mapping capabilities (hopefully without a $300/month subscription to pix4d) and great flight time. Its camera is supposed to be better than the mavic's and on par with the Air's, as it shoots 4k 60 at 100 mbps.

If Autel releases the version with the 1" sensor, DJI will have some real competition for a change.

You'd definitely be surprised how many people just see DJI's consumer lines for the flying thrill. It's definitely changed over the years. Quality and ease of use is definitely a huge plus when going with DJI over some of the cheap consumer or racing drones.

Well, now the rumor is that the mp2 is "substantially" larger than the mp, so the choice between the Air and the mp2 might be harder than I thought! The top three things for me are video/photo quality, portability and price, in that order, with things like flight times and range lagging far behind. The Air looks like it easily beats the mp2 in the second and third things I care about, but man, I really want that 1" sensor!

Reactions: ToddR
Well, now the rumor is that the mp2 is "substantially" larger than the mp, so the choice between the Air and the mp2 might be harder than I thought! The top three things for me are video/photo quality, portability and price, in that order, with things like flight times and range lagging far behind. The Air looks like it easily beats the mp2 in the second and third things I care about, but man, I really want that 1" sensor!
Again that's just a rumor tho let's see what happens

Reactions: Mc39
IMO, thats the thing, DJI drones are still AP drones. They've made them a bit more "fun" to fly over time, but their primary purpose is an imaging drone. I got bore of just flying them and got into FPV drones. No comparison, what a thrill! People say but its only 3-5 minutes of flight time. Yeah, but if you fly them they way they are meant to be flown, after that short time you are ready for a break. And for me personally, after about 6 - 8 battery packs, I'm done. Its that intense. Again, you can fly slow with them which wouldn't require as much focus, but whats the fun in that!

When the MP2 comes out, I'll have to see what features it offers and if its significantly better than any of the drones I have now to warrant the expenditure. I can't even imagine what they are going to do that would make it a must-have. Even if you packed in everything I like about my Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro in one drone, it still wouldn't be enough to make me buy it.

IMO, thats the thing, DJI drones are still AP drones. They've made them a bit more "fun" to fly over time, but their primary purpose is an imaging drone. I got bore of just flying them and got into FPV drones. No comparison, what a thrill! People say but its only 3-5 minutes of flight time. Yeah, but if you fly them they way they are meant to be flown, after that short time you are ready for a break. And for me personally, after about 6 - 8 battery packs, I'm done. Its that intense. Again, you can fly slow with them which wouldn't require as much focus, but whats the fun in that!

When the MP2 comes out, I'll have to see what features it offers and if its significantly better than any of the drones I have now to warrant the expenditure. I can't even imagine what they are going to do that would make it a must-have. Even if you packed in everything I like about my Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro in one drone, it still wouldn't be enough to make me buy it.

Yes. A simple combination of all the existing common drones will be a no go for many MP owners. However, I believe they will sell loads of MP2 if they continue to make it truly portable (Like MP) and focus 100% on image quality instead of gimmick features. A small drone capable to deliver professional image quality (even better than P4P). IMO rumours point to that atm. A 1” sensor will not compete against a high-end zenmuse grade camera, but may be an acceptable sacrifice for those hard to get shots. Semi-pro clients will also lust for a drone that can give them professional looking footage. IMO this will make the MP2 leave the AP drone marked. I also believe the Mavic Air replace todays AP MP.

Reactions: MavicMo
Love the Air. Sensible price, nice little package, pretty decent image quality.

Reactions: MarceloLi
I don't think the Air will be much more than an improved Spark.

I hear this a lot. Mavic Pro owners would have this perception. Looks like a Spark, sounds like a Spark, must be a Spark! I'd would think so.... Right?

Thankfully, the perception is proven incorrect by evidence. And that is a good thing. Means as per usual, DJI hasn't been resting on their laurels.
The main thing to remember is that the Air's hardware is not only a generation, but several generations newer than the hardware in the Mavic Pro.

As explained by DJI Engineers at certain events, the processors in the Mavic Pro needs serious upgrades. The image signal processor is the same as can be found in the GoPro HERO3 which is almost six years old.

The Mavic is a serious performer with range. But image quality due to its ancient image signal processor, CODEC and over compressed video leads to some situations where the video is a let down for professionals.

I'm not. So I would be super happy with the Pro. But given that the Air shares a lot of hardware from the Phantom 4 pro (most of the Air's hardware will be used in the Mavic Pro II), and it offers this serious hardware and image quality upgrade for less money..... the Air is an improved Mavic Pro, not an improved Spark.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavicsun
I just got my Mavic a couple of weeks ago and then saw the new Mavic Air being pushed. To begin with, I was annoyed that I had missed a new model, but now after reading and watching a lot of reviews, I'm glad I went with the Mavic. The Air is a good device, yes but in real terms, the battery is only good for 15 minutes flight time. That's close to half of the Mavic flight time and a big deal for me.
If the Mavic II, is as good as the leaks are making out, I don't think the Air will be much more than an improved Spark. For me personally, the full size sensor in the camera is the exciting news for Mavic II.
For now, I'm more than happy with my Mavic.

Just curious...how can you automatically knock off 6 minutes of flight time on the Air but not knock off any flight time on the Pro in your comparison? Do you have the Air? I do and I can get 21 minutes if I wanted to take the battery down low enough but I choose not to. I doubt you’re getting 27 minutes from the Pro with enough battery to land so I’d say youre getting 21 minutes there. Not much of a difference in the end when you compare apples to apples.

I’m getting nearly 2 miles of range on my Air which is more than enough for me and the camera is far superior to the Pro in a much more compact size. The Air wasn’t meant to replace the Pro so the comparisons need to stop.

Reactions: tiparoch
Just curious...how can you automatically knock off 6 minutes of flight time on the Air but not knock off any flight time on the Pro in your comparison? Do you have the Air? I do and I can get 21 minutes if I wanted to take the battery down low enough but I choose not to. I doubt you’re getting 27 minutes from the Pro with enough battery to land so I’d say youre getting 21 minutes there. Not much of a difference in the end when you compare apples to apples.

I’m getting nearly 2 miles of range on my Air which is more than enough for me and the camera is far superior to the Pro in a much more compact size. The Air wasn’t meant to replace the Pro so the comparisons need to stop.
From watching one of several reviews on the Air. No I don't have an Air, to answer your question. Do you have a Pro - to seriously doubt the flight time I can get...? I do regularly get my 23 minutes before I get the first battery warning, so yes, I can get the 27 minutes that I quoted. Distance is as far as I can see, so I'm not interested in the range of either drone and I never go further than line of sight.
I'm not knocking the Air, I'm just saying I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Reactions: borzoiboy

completely agree- here is what a racing drone can do flown slow!
3 E-flite Opterra's Formation Flying

I purchased a Spark back in January and loved it. But then Air came out and I sold my Spark and bought the Air. I am pretty happy with the Air but I have been using it mostly in the middle of suburbia (live in AZ so great scenery) and I get frequent transmission signal losses. At first I was ready to make another leap to buy a Pro Platinum for the lower noise level alone. Then I reconsidered that. DJI told me last week that the connection wouldn't be any better with the Pro Platinum then the Air? I also asked them if the Pro Platinum would handle the wind better and was told you shouldn't fly either in any wind. Being new to this hobby I am in search of the best drone for my needs. So what are the true answers on the existing Pro's having a better connection than the Air and it's ability to handle the wind? If I have educated answers from more people I'll be able to decide if an existing Pro Platinum or Mavic 2 would be worth me forking out additional funds for.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_