DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air, won't take off close to Airport

Radartk

Reactions
Hi folks,
I was going to fly my MAvic Air about 20 feet in the air to inspect the top of my house. I live about a mile from a local little airport. The Mavic Air wouldn't take off and on my iPhone Mavic App, it said I was too close to an Airport. It stated some sort of work around to let the Air take-off, if I would take responsibility, but I never could figure out what to do.
Anyone have a issue such as this,
Thanks so Much,
TK in Tn

Edit

My mistake for assuming the notice you got. What exactly did the notice say?

Assuming responsibility usually just requires checking a box and selecting yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radartk
You mention you are within a mile of an airport? Your drone will not allow you to fly in restricted airspace.

Technology that keeps drones from entering restricted airspace is called geofencing. It’s a straightforward system: Drones that support geofencing regularly download databases from their manufacturers that delineate active no-go zones. If a drone flies toward a restricted area, its built-in GPS will sense the boundary, and the drone will stop mid-flight; if an operator tries to take off inside a restricted area, the drone won’t start up at all.

Fly for Fun: Part 101e

The law pertaining to recreational operations has changed as of Oct 5th, 2018 with the signing of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. Sec. 349 subsection (a) states that all recreational operations within Class B, C, D and the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace require prior authorization.
How do I get authorization as a Fly for Fun Pilot?

The FAA is currently developing a framework to provide recreational authorizations and has committed to provide further guidance. For more information, see https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=91844

Edit

My mistake for assuming the notice you got. What exactly did the notice say?

Assuming responsibility usually just requires checking a box and selecting yes.
I will go back tomorrow and try again, If I get the same message, I will take a screen shot
Can you tell us what airport or cordinates and we can better help with this.
Thanks for the response, The airport I want to fly about a mile from,(about 30 feet high ), in a wooded area. is Dyersburg, Tn. the trees around the area I want to fly are about 100 feet high. I just want to fly about 30 feet over a Barn and house. I will still be below the tree line.
Again, thanks for your input!!
TK in Tn.

I live in Class D airspace, and have to go through this every time I want to fly near home. Go to DJI.com/flysafe/self-unlock . You will need to login to your DJI account, or establish one so they know who you are. This site brings up a map, and you scroll to the area with your airport and click on the blue pin and it will show you a box that should say something like “authorization zone unlock available”. Click that and more input opens up. Enter your Flight Controller serial number. The date defaults to today’s date. ( They used to offer a three day unlocking, but now it’s only one day. ) don’t forget to select your aircraft type at the top of the screen, as it’s easy to miss. Click proceed or whatever, and it will ask you for a verification type. I use mobile phone, give them the number (although since I’m logged in they should know it, and then you’ll also have to tell them where you’re located - again, I’m logged in, they should know I am from USA). You will get a text with a 6 digit code. Enter that on the website and you’re authorized to fly. But your aircraft and remote don’t know that yet. I use a smart controller, and it may be different if you use the regular controller and a phone. But I start the controller at home, and I guess over WiFi the authorization is transferred to the controller. When the aircraft is started up, you will get the red “Cannot take off” warning in the upper left of the Go4 app. Tap the three little dots in the top right corner, then the three dots at the bottom to bring up the General Settings. You should see “Unlocking License” as a choice. Click the right arrow on the right to bring up the “Unlocking License list”. Here you should see “App”in blue, but “aircraft” in white. There’s a blue box to click which says (next to today’s license) “Import to aircraft”. Click that, and hopefully it changes to “Import successful.” And you should be ready to fly.

Now, I just went through all the steps as if I was going to fly to make sure I got them all correct and in order. But I still have a “cannot take off” notice in the app. It may be because I’m right at the edge of the presidential exclusion zone in the VIP TFR through tomorrow. But it allowed me to fly yesterday, so I’m not sure what I’m missing here. Please let me know if this works for you. I am within 30 miles but in a small cutout of the circle, so not inside the exclusion zone. Frustrated...

Ok, just noticed that the aircraft license was still showing an old license, and described it as expired, even though I had refreshed it. So I did it again and got a pop up box in which I had to acknowledge that I was authorized to fly and take responsibility for my flight. Click those, and now I’m ready to take off. Of course, I still have to inform the tower that I’m flying. Yesterday I asked for 200 feet altitude and the controller wanted me to stay below 100, so I did.

Last edited:
I live in Class D airspace, and have to go through this every time I want to fly near home. Go to DJI.com/flysafe/self-unlock . You will need to login to your DJI account, or establish one so they know who you are. This site brings up a map, and you scroll to the area with your airport and click on the blue pin and it will show you a box that should say something like “authorization zone unlock available”. Click that and more input opens up. Enter your Flight Controller serial number. The date defaults to today’s date. ( They used to offer a three day unlocking, but now it’s only one day. ) don’t forget to select your aircraft type at the top of the screen, as it’s easy to miss. Click proceed or whatever, and it will ask you for a verification type. I use mobile phone, give them the number (although since I’m logged in they should know it, and then you’ll also have to tell them where you’re located - again, I’m logged in, they should know I am from USA). You will get a text with a 6 digit code. Enter that on the website and you’re authorized to fly. But your aircraft and remote don’t know that yet. I use a smart controller, and it may be different if you use the regular controller and a phone. But I start the controller at home, and I guess over WiFi the authorization is transferred to the controller. When the aircraft is started up, you will get the red “Cannot take off” warning in the upper left of the Go4 app. Tap the three little dots in the top right corner, then the three dots at the bottom to bring up the General Settings. You should see “Unlocking License” as a choice. Click the right arrow on the right to bring up the “Unlocking License list”. Here you should see “App”in blue, but “aircraft” in white. There’s a blue box to click which says (next to today’s license) “Import to aircraft”. Click that, and hopefully it changes to “Import successful.” And you should be ready to fly.

Now, I just went through all the steps as if I was going to fly to make sure I got them all correct and in order. But I still have a “cannot take off” notice in the app. It may be because I’m right at the edge of the presidential exclusion zone in the VIP TFR through tomorrow. But it allowed me to fly yesterday, so I’m not sure what I’m missing here. Please let me know if this works for you. I am within 30 miles but in a small cutout of the circle, so not inside the exclusion zone. Frustrated...

Ok, just noticed that the aircraft license was still showing an old license, and described it as expired, even though I had refreshed it. So I did it again and got a pop up box in which I had to acknowledge that I was authorized to fly and take responsibility for my flight. Click those, and now I’m ready to take off. Of course, I still have to inform the tower that I’m flying. Yesterday I asked for 200 feet altitude and the controller wanted me to stay below 100, so I did.

It’s very strange, every time I fly at a local park I get a warning that I’m in Class D airspace and advised to fly with caution, but that’s it, no check boxes , no work round required or anything.

Just to be extra safe I contacted my local airport in Liverpool and asked the tower for their input and was told that Class D airspace started at 2500 feet so I had no problems.

We do have low flying aircraft such as microlights and helicopters so just for peace of mind I ring the tower to advise them I’m flying. To be honest they’re really good about it and appreciate the call.

I keep seeing these detail maps from everybody and talking about different types of fly zones. First, what app has these maps and where can I find a guide to read them. Right now I just see a lot of lines that I don’t understand. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The maps you are referring to are called sectional charts, and they show all kinds of information relevant to VFR (visual flight rules, as opposed to instrument) pilots, such as the airspace zones around airports, etc. There are many YouTube videos on the subject, but a good place to start is Tony Northrup’s Part 107 tutorial. Go to YouTube and search “Tony Northrop 107” and it will take you to it. At 14:29, he covers classes of airspace, and at 32:10 he covers the data shown on sectional charts.

I don’t know if Mexico has similar charts or not.

I keep seeing these detail maps from everybody and talking about different types of fly zones. First, what app has these maps and where can I find a guide to read them. Right now I just see a lot of lines that I don’t understand. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AirMap
UAV Forecast for DJI drones

Those are my go-to apps for checking airspace.

Reactions: Thomas B
I will go back tomorrow and try again, If I get the same message, I will take a screen shot

Thanks for the response, The airport I want to fly about a mile from,(about 30 feet high ), in a wooded area. is Dyersburg, Tn. the trees around the area I want to fly are about 100 feet high. I just want to fly about 30 feet over a Barn and house. I will still be below the tree line.
TK in Tn.

There's no "I'm only flying below the treetops" legal exception for flying near airports. You need to comply with the law, which currently for recreational operators requires you to call and notify ALL airports within 5 miles of your flight location. They will want to know your location relative to the airport and your intended flight altitude.

I will go back tomorrow and try again, If I get the same message, I will take a screenshot

TK in Tn.

I have received a warning that says "you're near an airport etc" then there is a checkbox to declare you will accept responsibility... Just check the box and be careful and go fly... if you have the option just go with it... if you weren't allowed then there wouldn't be a way to move forward.

It’s very strange, every time I fly at a local park I get a warning that I’m in Class D airspace and advised to fly with caution, but that’s it, no check boxes , no work round required or anything.

Just to be extra safe I contacted my local airport in Liverpool and asked the tower for their input and was told that Class D airspace started at 2500 feet so I had no problems.

We do have low flying aircraft such as microlights and helicopters so just for peace of mind I ring the tower to advise them I’m flying. To be honest they’re really good about it and appreciate the call.
I can't take off at all unless I go through the procedure I described earlier.

... if you weren't allowed then there wouldn't be a way to move forward.

That is not good advice. DJI is not the FAA and isn't responsible for locking you out of all prohibited airspace. Just because the drone allows you a way to fly doesn't mean you have complied with the legal requirements for the area.

Ok, I'll retract that statement, although he was stating his drone "could not take off" as it was prevented - I was merely pointing out it could take off if he clicked the box.. I received this warning but I was on the edge of the circle

Dyersburg is Class E with a base at the surface, surrounded by a transition area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa