DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic fishing success

I made up a water landing set, bought the landing gear extension bits off Amazon.
Two polystyrene round four inch balls and two four inch egg shaped from my local craft store, a 10" piece of carbon Fibre tube and that's it. The eggs go on the front leg extensions as there is less weight forward and are glued in place, the balls are pushed about three inches onto the carbon Fibre tube which is epoxied to the rear landing accessory. Sits perfectly in the water and is amazingly stable.
Also got a can of "acrylic" spray paint in neon green to colour the balls, apparently this is the most visible color at sea. All in all about £14.00 or $18.00. And the balls came in packs of four, so got spares if necessary.
Will post a video when I get back later this month.
Also made up a hook for carrying a fishing line, it's a cut down closet wall hook from Homebase (like Home Depot) works like a dream for carrying a fly line to areas that are impossible to cast into.
0b6264b34389cae64f6dccff40add80a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I made up a water landing set, bought the landing gear extension bits off Amazon.
Two polystyrene round four inch balls and two four inch egg shaped from my local craft store, a 10" piece of carbon Fibre tube and that's it. The eggs go on the front leg extensions as there is less weight forward and are glued in place, the balls are pushed about three inches onto the carbon Fibre tube which is epoxied to the rear landing accessory. Sits perfectly in the water and is amazingly stable.
Also got a can of "acrylic" spray paint in neon green to colour the balls, apparently this is the most visible color at sea. All in all about £14.00 or $18.00. And the balls came in packs of four, so got spares if necessary.
Also made up a hook for carrying a fishing line, it's a cut down closet wall hook from Homebase (like Home Depot) works like a dream for carrying a fly line to areas that are impossible to cast into.

I like his fishing hook! However is this on the back? Do you fly it in reverse out to the spot and then forwards back to the beach or shore for it to drop?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The hook mounts into the plastic and swivels forewords and backwards.
The moment you hook a line on it tends to stick out the back at a four o'clock position and maintains this as long as you're flying forward with the weight of the line dragging behind, when in position at say 5m altitude and with most of the flyline in the water, I reverse it and the drag releases the fly which as it's only the tipppet out the water gently drops in where you want it. Took a bit of practice, but now takes me 30 seconds max to get into places which I've never managed to fish before. I'll be taking it to Chile next month to fish a short section of gorge which has a lovely pool which is impossible from the cliff or by float tube.

The hook mounts into the plastic and swivels forewords and backwards.
The moment you hook a line on it tends to stick out the back at a four o'clock position and maintains this as long as you're flying forward with the weight of the line dragging behind, when in position at say 5m altitude and with most of the flyline in the water, I reverse it and the drag releases the fly which as it's only the tipppet out the water gently drops in where you want it. Took a bit of practice, but now takes me 30 seconds max to get into places which I've never managed to fish before. I'll be taking it to Chile next month to fish a short section of gorge which has a lovely pool which is impossible from the cliff or by float tube.

Cool! I saw a post from someone else that had a really long wire which I didn't like. yours is the best version I have seen so far with the small form factor.

I'm using a downrigger at the moment works great and is easily removable and less intrusive than the hook method. Another plus point is if something goes wrong and there is tension on the line it won't pull the drone with it, it will just release.

Whats great about this method is if you see fish and want to drag your bait towards them with the drone you can without worrying the fish will strike and take the drone with it. The line will release as soon as there is enough tension on it.

Followed this guide: http://dronefishinghq.com/

Can you post a picture of the float attachment?

The water landing kit is really pricey for four Styrofoam balls that attach to the MP. Also based on the pictures they show it looks like a lot of water would spray up onto the mavic / motors if you use them to takeoff. I'd like to see some video of takeoff and landing and it'd be great if they reduced the price based on what you're getting. I intend to use this a lot while kayaking on lakes, while I could do a hand catch it would be nice to have a backup of landing on water if I get into trouble.

I'm using a downrigger at the moment works great and is easily removable and less intrusive than the hook method. Another plus point is if something goes wrong and there is tension on the line it won't pull the drone with it, it will just release.

Whats great about this method is if you see fish and want to drag your bait towards them with the drone you can without worrying the fish will strike and take the drone with it. The line will release as soon as there is enough tension on it.

Any
Can you post a picture of the float attachment?
as

As soon as I get back down south I'll make a video of the gear and a landing and take off. Surprisingly there is virtually no spray, and any there is is spread flat on the water. Have never had any water droplets on the drone itself. It's not the prettiest thing in the world and reduces battery time by (estimate) 10% but when you use the Mavic for fishing as I do, then a loss of 10% is irrelevant. I wouldn't want to have to land it in an ocean chop, but at least this way you're still going to be able to salvage the Mavic and get a replacement. One thing I haven't tried is a motor failure at any height, so don't know if the polystyrene would survive a heavy impact onto water.

You got any idea if the downriggers would work with a fly line and fly, it's a great idea.
Problem is with flyfishing the only weight is in the line and it's got to be dropped really accurately. Any thoughts very much appreciated, like most fisherman am always looking for new ideas.

I havent tried it for fly fishing yet, but it should be easy enough. Instead of presenting the lure with the multiple casts maybe try dipping it in the water with the drone. Even if the trout hits it, it should just pop loose. The false casts might be an issue with the distance you are going out so you will have to use the drone.

Here is the link to my you tube mavic fishing video.

Yes, that small hook looks neat
good job

My only concern would be when your 200 plus meters out into the water and you can not see the drone or the line clearly is when turning 180 degrees to unhook the line that it may get caught up in the props ?

That's why I made my hook down and away from the drones props.

I will take mine out and use the same setup for surf fishing soon, get me on the other side of the breaker and then some...

I seen the mavic can lift about 2lbs.
Which will be enough to lift a large surf fishing sinker and bait.

I will make a video of this one too.

Reactions: seam108
I will take mine out and use the same setup for surf fishing soon, get me on the other side of the breaker and then some...

I seen the mavic can lift about 2lbs.
Which will be enough to lift a large surf fishing sinker and bait.

I will make a video of this one too.

Looking forward to doing the same soon! Send a video with your setup.

A drone is great to use if you're fishing off the beach. The guys down here are using a quick release outrigger clip on the drone so when the fish strikes, it releases from the drone. The pull is less than a pound at on the clip to release.

A drone is great to use if you're fishing off the beach. The guys down here are using a quick release outrigger clip on the drone so when the fish strikes, it releases from the drone. The pull is less than a pound at on the clip to release.

This has always worried me. What if the clip fails and the fish pulls my mavic in the ocean? I think a flat hook forward facing to carry out and reverse the drone to let it fall straight off would be the safest. Also want my drone back quick. I don't want it hanging out there waiting for the fish to bite, I have beer to drink!

This has always worried me. What if the clip fails and the fish pulls my mavic in the ocean? I think a flat hook forward facing to carry out and reverse the drone to let it fall straight off would be the safest. Also want my drone back quick. I don't want it hanging out there waiting for the fish to bite, I have beer to drink!

The down rigger is actually safer seeing it cant get tangled on the drone if something goes wrong in the case of the fixed hook. If you want to release the bait just put on the brake on the line and it will drop from the tension clip.

Reactions: Big Bull
The down rigger is actually safer seeing it cant get tangled on the drone if something goes wrong in the case of the fixed hook. If you want to release the bait just put on the brake on the line and it will drop from the tension clip.

Any specific downriggers you can point me to? Never thought about the tangling. I wish someone would just make a nice remote controlled drop to drop anything and could easily attach to the mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga