DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1 vs. Mini 2 comparison

Would love to see a detailed pixel-peeping comparison of MM1 and MM2 footage. I'm not actually too bothered by the 4k per se - more in the extra bitrate. I'm hopeful that shooting 4k on the MM2 at 100mbps and the downrezzing to 1080 will give significantly better results that shooting 1080 (or 2,7k) on the MM1 at its lower bitrate. But would be good to see some comparisons.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos but the YT compression makes them hard to judge,
The 100Mbps is only to support 4K. The bitrate for the lower resolutions have no to little improvement on MM2 compared to MM1.

I understand it's probably needed for OcuSync, but I would have bought a Mini 2 on release if it weren't for the massive increase in size and weight for the controller.

I'm not all that bothered about the takeoff weight being 249g, for me the only reason I choose a Mini 2 over a Air 2 is compactness and weight for travel. I use my Mini 1 for videography in remote areas that require several days hiking to reach. According to the ultralight ethos, even 50g here or there makes a massive difference and when you've carrying your tent, sleeping quilt and food/water for several days, every gram and every cm^3 counts.

It's really disappointing that DJI have done so well reducing keeping the weight of the drone down and making it fold so small elegantly, but the controller weighs more than the bloody drone now! And the size is necessarily huge. The Mini 1 controller was a great design.

Unfortunately I and many many hikers I have spoken to will never be able to buy the Mini 2 since the controller is a massive 144g (60%!) heavier and about twice the volume!

I understand it's probably needed for OcuSync, but I would have bought a Mini 2 on release if it weren't for the massive increase in size and weight for the controller.

I'm not all that bothered about the takeoff weight being 249g, for me the only reason I choose a Mini 2 over a Air 2 is compactness and weight for travel. I use my Mini 1 for videography in remote areas that require several days hiking to reach. According to the ultralight ethos, even 50g here or there makes a massive difference and when you've carrying your tent, sleeping quilt and food/water for several days, every gram and every cm^3 counts.

It's really disappointing that DJI have done so well reducing keeping the weight of the drone down and making it fold so small elegantly, but the controller weighs more than the bloody drone now! And the size is necessarily huge. The Mini 1 controller was a great design.

Unfortunately I and many many hikers I have spoken to will never be able to buy the Mini 2 since the controller is a massive 144g (60%!) heavier and about twice the volume!
I use(d) my Mini 1 for the same activities, I have now moved to Mini 2, I have more confidence in the connection and the ability to handle wind were a disconnect out on the hills would result in a difficult retrieval. If your worried about 144g filter a little less water ?

Reactions: WooZie
It's already ridiculous that the controller weighs as much as the drone. Those of us cranking out 30 mile days on long distance trails with 3 kg base weights can't afford 10g extra let alone 144g!

Fine if that doesn't bother you personally but it goes against everything the drone was designed for especially when the last remote was so much more portable.

The M2 series uses Occusync 2 (was the first) and has the same style remote formfactor as the MM1 so new style isn't because of Occusync.

The new style does help with flight times though, being it has a higher capacity battery. I can just about get only 3 or 4 flights with the smaller remotes using an Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's what I got based on what I can find from online sources:

- Mini 2 has faster overall speed topping at 16 m/s
- Minimal increase in battery life at 31 minutes vs. 30 minutes
- Level 5 wind resistance (>8.5 m/s) vs. level 4 (8 m/s)
- Mini 2 has 4k recording up to 30 fps
- Mini 2 has up to 4x zoom, lossless at 2x
- Video Bitrate is at 100Mbps vs 40Mbps
- Mini 2 can now shoot RAW
- 10km flight range vs. 4km
- Video transmission system now utilizes OcuSync 2.0 with 8 Mbps max bitrate
- Added features include Panorama, Enhanced Photos (not sure how this works), and Trimmed Download (can cut long clips directly from DJI Fly app)

Size and weight are still basically the same. The Mini 2 is priced at 449 USD for the Standard Package and 599 USD for the Fly More Combo.
Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2.
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr). New motors Gusts upto 23.5 mph
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

The M2 series uses Occusync 2 (was the first) and has the same style remote formfactor as the MM1 so new style isn't because of Occusync.

The new style does help with flight times though, being it has a higher capacity battery. I can just about get only 3 or 4 flights with the smaller remotes using an Android.
Very strange they don't offer the smaller version as an option then :/

Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2.
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr). New motors Gusts upto 23.5 mph
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.
100Mbps is only with 4K. Since MM1 wasn't capable of 4K, it had no need for 100Mbps.

MM2 is not compatible with SC. You would think this would be easy for DJI to accommodate since SC has hardware for OS2, firmware updated RC for compatibility with MA2 and MA2 remote is just about the same as MM2.

Is there any point of these comparisons?

100Mbps is only with 4K. Since MM1 wasn't capable of 4K, it had no need for 100Mbps.

MM2 is not compatible with SC. You would think this would be easy for DJI to accommodate since SC has hardware for OS2, firmware updated RC for compatibility with MA2 and MA2 remote is just about the same as MM2.
It did have need. Shame that neither offer higher bitrates at <4k.

Sorry to ask, but what does SC stands for? ?

SmartController
Oops, of course, I should have known that, sorry ;)

Still hesitating of selling my MM1 and go for MM2. I experienced that DJI abandons customers without any respect for them. No updates anymore and the software was even not bug-free yet. I did not fly my MM1 anymore.
After my initial purchase of the MM1 I did buy quite a lot of extras besides the fly combo and DJI Care : a landing gear, lights, subscribed HD360 on Airdata UAV, the special Paragyagi extenders, made a special transport case for it, a lot of spare props, etc) and that seems such a waste of money and time now.
My initial enthousiasm is almost gone completely by the way DJI does their business...
What if DJI decides to bring out a MM3 in a few months? You might never know what they have in their sleeve and instead of supporting previous buyers by submitting updates of firmware and software, they just force you to buy the newer version, pfffff.

I actually like the next bigger controller, love the new out front phone mount, much better battery life, cable stored internally

Many companies do that, not just DJI.
That's right, but most of them do offer updates for some time even after releasing a newer version of their goods. I see it as a way to show respect for their customers who are the ones that make them able to do any business at all...

It is clear that DJI's only goal is to get money out of people's pockets, not to satisfy them just a little bit by offering updates on previous bought items.

Reactions: dulcificum
Very strange they don't offer the smaller version as an option then :/

I honestly think they don't care about the remote size. Here the main issue is to be under 250 g for the drone to avoid registrations and etc. I myself prefer a big remote that you can hold nicely in your hand with a big battery inside. You combine hiking with droning and you ask a little too much ... this drone is for something else its a beginner to advance drone and it suppose to help people get away without registering it and/or taking an pilot exam; I just sold a Mavic Pro because of all the hassle I had to go trough in order to be able to fly "legally"... in my country for example you have to call and announce your flight if the "aircraft" is above 250g and equipped with a camera for taking video/photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki