DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1 vs. Mini 2 comparison

242g with battery (and SD card possibly?)

153g without battery

The Mini2 aricraft (without battery) is heavier than the MM1 (also without battery). The Mini2 battery is lighter than the MM1 battery. Overall the Mini2 (with battery) is slightly lighter than the MM1 (with battery)

If you use the MM1 battery in a Mini2 then the in-flight weight will be just over 250g. The MM1 batteries are forward compatible with the Mini2, but Mini2 battieries anre not backward compatible with MM1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Chrisy Co
Same, I had my mini for less than a month now. But now I have to decide if the Air 2 is superior enough to get as a second drone, or if the Mini 2 would work just the same.
Honestly I've had the MM since march and although I love it's portability, If you're serious about videography than the Air 2 is miles ahead. Wind resistance is in my opinion is a massive argument.

Just last month I was on a mountain peak and ready to get some awesome shots, but was forced to land fast because of the wind. Another guy came a few mins later with an Air 2, and of course had no problem. If you plan traveling with it i'd say just invest in an Air 2 Fly More combo, the mavic mini is a luxury toy

Same, I had my mini for less than a month now. But now I have to decide if the Air 2 is superior enough to get as a second drone, or if the Mini 2 would work just the same.
Well, I am also a bit disappointed. On April 20th, I bought the mini combo pack. About 5 months later, DJI releases a new version of the Mini with better specs, and it appears it is now abandonning support for the numerous Mini 1 owners. What e.g. about the battery temperature issue in the DJI FlyApp?
It is a bit crazy to think that people will spend several 100s of dollars every 6 months to keep on track, so I think I will keep enjoying my Mini 1 for quite some time to come. Who knows they will release a Mini 3 in a few weeks or months?

So here's what I got based on what I can find from online sources:

- Mini 2 has faster overall speed topping at 16 m/s
- Minimal increase in battery life at 31 minutes vs. 30 minutes
- Level 5 wind resistance (>8.5 m/s) vs. level 4 (8 m/s)
- Mini 2 has 4k recording up to 30 fps
- Mini 2 has up to 4x zoom, lossless at 2x
- Video Bitrate is at 100Mbps vs 40Mbps
- Mini 2 can now shoot RAW
- 10km flight range vs. 4km
- Video transmission system now utilizes OcuSync 2.0 with 8 Mbps max bitrate
- Added features include Panorama, Enhanced Photos (not sure how this works), and Trimmed Download (can cut long clips directly from DJI Fly app)

Size and weight are still basically the same. The Mini 2 is priced at 449 USD for the Standard Package and 599 USD for the Fly More Combo.

The Mini 2 is definitely better than the Mini 1. If I had known back then what would happen now, I would have, could have, should have, waited.

But no sense abandoning the Mini 1 for now. Still enjoying this little bugger.

Maybe the next upgrade I should be looking at will be the Mavic Air 3? Hmmmm ? ?
How would you stack the Mini 2 vs the Air 1?
In your opinion would the obstacle detection of the air put it in front of the mini?

The Mini 2 is definitely better than the Mini 1. If I had known back then what would happen now, I would have, could have, should have, waited.

But no sense abandoning the Mini 1 for now. Still enjoying this little bugger.

Maybe the next upgrade I should be looking at will be the Mavic Air 3? Hmmmm ??
$$ Mavic Air 2 still nearly 2X price of Mini 2...$1140 delivered w/goobermint theft (tax) included. The advantages of 570g drone begin with collision avoidance sensors. There are many more but have dwindled a bit with the release of Mini 2. When DJI enables a Combo Kit without another exact same Controller (who needs two) Ill buy a Mini 2. Who needs collision avoidance over Iowa cornfields.

There is the threat of the FAA mandated Controller ID (CID). Mavic Series dont have means to broadcast the CID signal.

I dont have either but they are still screw on. Same airframe and nearly same weight. I expect they are interchangeable. Air 2 has quick change props.

They are Li-Pos for the Mini 2
2250 v 1100 mAH batteries Mini 2 V Mini. The stronger motors need more juice. Li-Ion generally have more capacity, however somehow the Li-Polymer batts on Mini 2 have double the capacity. Im afraid the Li-Pos will quickly lose holding capacity. The regimen on recharging will be important to accertain. I.e. do not allow batt to fall below X% or discharge to below X% before recharging? I expect the latter.

So far I’m liking the results from the mini 2
The occusync is really impressive on the range and the video quality has really improved. lol soon we’ll be hearing about new range records and awesome video quality [emoji106][emoji3][emoji927]

2250 v 1100 mAH batteries Mini 2 V Mini. The stronger motors need more juice. Li-Ion generally have more capacity, however somehow the Li-Polymer batts on Mini 2 have double the capacity. Im afraid the Li-Pos will quickly lose holding capacity. The regimen on recharging will be important to accertain. I.e. do not allow batt to fall below X% or discharge to below X% before recharging? I expect the latter.
Only the Japanese version of the MM1 has 1100mAh batteries, and these are quite rare. All other versions have 2400mAh batteries.

Just picked up my mini 2 and they got rid of the foam in the front arms I would say 50% more rigid. And half as loud as mini 1 i haven't flown it outside yet but already loving it.
Did you put it on a scale before and after? Why would removing the foam make it more rigid? Why would you remove the foam?:oops:

I bought the Mini Flymore kit on Amazon Prime Day and literally days later the Mini 2 came out for $100 more. So I don't have 4K and feel like I got suckered.

Are you sure about it being heavier? Mini 2 specs are that its 242 grams with battery and SD card. Seems lighter to me.
Li-Ion batteries are heavier than Li-Polymer. 1100mAH vs 2250mAh with Li-Po. The fact that they are interchangeable means you can use Mini1 batteries. No other advantage other than you've got emergency/as needed spares.

Did you put it on a scale before and after? Why would removing the foam make it more rigid? Why would you remove the foam?:oops:
What he’s trying to say is DJI have redesigned the AC, it no longer has foam inserts. I would describe the front arm as rigid now, in fact I suspect DJI have changed the plastic as the overall drone build quality seems much improved over the M1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89