DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 release. Should raw be expected in firmware for our OG mini?

balkanwolfy

Reactions
So now that mini 2 is out, boasting all these new features that we all probably wished for with the OG model, do you all think RAW is finally coming? Mini 2 has many stand out features that wouldn’t hinder its sales if this were to happen (in my opinion). Features such as Occusync and 4K alone are enough to separate the two from business and marketing aspects, not to mention the stronger wind resistance and actual intelligent batteries that self discharge. What are your opinions on this?

So now that mini 2 is out, boasting all these new features that we all probably wished for with the OG model, do you all think RAW is finally coming? Mini 2 has many stand out features that wouldn’t hinder its sales if this were to happen (in my opinion). Features such as Occusync and 4K alone are enough to separate the two from business and marketing aspects, not to mention the stronger wind resistance and actual intelligent batteries that self discharge. What are your opinions on this?
If you look here: DJI Mini 2 vs. Mavic Mini: The Best Mini Drone Ever - DJI Guides

It looks like that DJI is publicising the fact that the Mini (1) will not support RAW, digital zoom, panorama, boomerang quickshots etc. despite these being software features (?)

So unfortunately it looks like that no new features (that's already on the Mini 2) will be forthcoming to the original Mini.

If I am being incredibly optimistic, there may be a future firmware update that will give some limited additional features to both the Mini 1 and 2. But I wouldn't be holding my breath... I am surprised the DJI store is still selling the Mini! (as opposed to saying that it's discontinued)

I don't think they'll put a new firmware on the Mini 1, several here have already said so, you paid for what you were offered.

I do understand the excitement that not only I have, that they incorporate something to the Mini 1, but it will be very difficult since DJI has some Apple mentality, if you want an improvement buy another drone sadly.

Practically the Mini 1 was like grabbing lab rats to experiment with.

I would imagine that DJI has performed some kind of marketing exercise and determined that abandoning the original Mini after only one year will not hurt original customer's goodwill towards DJI.

I acknowledge the argument that we got what we paid for in the Mini, but I think that it's a risky move by DJI to not provide MM2 capabilities to the MM1 that can be accomplished by software/firmware updates.

I agree with the OP that the MM2 is greatly differentiated from the MM1 by hardware enhancements, providing incredible range, wind resistance etc., so tossing MM1 owners a bone by giving some extra capabilities will not harm MM2 sales.

I also realize that enhancing the MM1 is a cost to DJI, but I think there will perhaps be a greater cost to them in lost repeat customers.

I personally do not trust them anymore.

I also realize that enhancing the MM1 is a cost to DJI, but I think there will perhaps be a greater cost to them in lost repeat customers.

It's a gamble for sure. Like you, I am already looking at alternatives to dji as I am not exactly a novice on the technology side and even if I kept the mini I would like to least see improved bit rate at 2.7k and some ability to tone down the saturation, contrast, sharpness so it's not destroyed before it even gets to post.

Competitions of course seem to have their drawbacks as well as advantages (looking at parrot and skydio mainly, tho the latter seems to be far more automatic than I'd want).

I would imagine that DJI has performed some kind of marketing exercise and determined that abandoning the original Mini after only one year will not hurt original customer's goodwill towards DJI.

I acknowledge the argument that we got what we paid for in the Mini, but I think that it's a risky move by DJI to not provide MM2 capabilities to the MM1 that can be accomplished by software/firmware updates.

I agree with the OP that the MM2 is greatly differentiated from the MM1 by hardware enhancements, providing incredible range, wind resistance etc., so tossing MM1 owners a bone by giving some extra capabilities will not harm MM2 sales.

I feel screwed, they purposely held back.

If it makes you feel better, it's clear that they have also held back the Mini 2 by not offering things that Litchi can offer the Mini 1 (e.g. software-based object tracking, waypoints etc.).

Maybe features for the Mini 3, coming in November 2021?
It's not just that, customer service is just slow and almost uncaring.

The Mini 2 from what I've read is not even closely compatible to the Mini (1). Batteries and so much more are different - so upgrading thru an exchange or simply buying new is the only way to do the Mini 2. I like my Mini (1) and have the Air 2 - so will not be exchanging / upgrading to the 2 any time soon.

The Mini 2 from what I've read is not even closely compatible to the Mini (1). Batteries and so much more are different - so upgrading thru an exchange or simply buying new is the only way to do the Mini 2. I like my Mini (1) and have the Air 2 - so will not be exchanging / upgrading to the 2 any time soon.
Though different in design, the batteries are cross-compatible according to those who asked DJI.
The prop guard is also supposedly compatible.
Props aren't though.

I might trade in my MM1 for an MM2 and keep the MM1 FMC accessories except the case. The MM2 remote won't fit in that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salvator419