DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini issues

Andym123

Reactions
Hi, looking to see if anyone has encountered this issue with their mini. When flying full throttle forward then release stick to come to halt the mini loses height momentarily before returning to original height. Just wondering if anyone has same issue or is this normal behaviour? I have a mavic 2 zoom also which I’m aware is chalk and cheese different, but never noticed this behaviour with that.

I've flown mine yesterday full throttle and did some normal braking and full braking (stick backward) and did not see this happening. I've double-checked this with the airdata flight logs analyzed and altitude is always constant.

I totally agree with you, but I was standing on a plateau and did this when I flew towards me, so yeah, I'm confident that it did not dive and recovered afterwards in front of my eyes.

I’d say maybe about a ft to 1.5ft it all happens in about a second and only when it’s at higher speeds. I must add I’ve only observed this when at lower altitudes ( less than 20ft ). It’s a bit concerning especially If I want to fly low over water. I will test further when conditions are better. I have only observed this happening when flying in the dark or indoors so far ( large warehouse style building )

I've seen altitude instantaneously drift by as much as +- 1ft or so, just sitting on the ground with motors spinning via CSC.

Since altitude is primarily determined by barometer, where pressure changes relative to altitude is very small, inaccuracies for small altitudes are bound to show up.

I’d say maybe about a ft to 1.5ft it all happens in about a second and only when it’s at higher speeds.
Does a speed of 27.94 mph qualify as fast speed ? Altitude was 83 feet (25m) and acceleration was achieved over 525 ft (160m).

Adding a picture to show just the facts
1576523670608.png

Can it be that when the drone change direction of the attitude (full forward to full brake) it somewhere in between is leveled & then looses altitude slightly?

Yes it sounds similar to above post. You can physically see the the aircraft lower in height then goes back to the indicated height. This is when’s its braking hard. As soon as horizontal speed has stopped it raises to indicated height again. When weather is more suited and I can get chance in daylight I will take a video of it as it’s hard issue to describe in words. In meantime I will carry out usual procedures imu calibrate and reflash firmware.

It's perfectly normal ... my Air always does that especially in sport mode in max speed of nearly 70 km/h & if I just release the right stick. Always do this in faster speeds together with a more abrupt brake. This effect is even more pronounced when I together with releasing the stick also hit the pause button on the RC (that button acts like "brake pedal to the floor"). Once stopped it regains the altitude again.

Just releasing the right stick from full sport speed... 70km/h to 0km/h, according to the flight log this is managed during 30 meters & 4 sec. so it's pretty hefty forces involved, therefore this isn't something I practice on a regular basis.

Again maybe not a fair comparison but I’ve never seen this issue with my mavic 2 but I will reasses this too. I was planning on doing a low flight over water 5 to 10 ft. I’m just not confident that the mini won’t hit the water under heavy braking

I suspect that the larger attitude angle during full speed & braking of the smaller drones make this a bit worse then on the larger. Flying low over water is always risky ... if you absolutely have to end the run by fill in the left stick and gain altitude.

Just a thought ... can the prop wash effect come into play in full braking, I mean the drone are in the end of braking going straight into the disturbed air? This will also be worse for a drone with larger attitude angles ...

I was planning on doing a low flight over water 5 to 10 ft. I’m just not confident that the mini won’t hit the water under heavy braking
Just to throw this fact in. ( Not sure it is possible with the mini ) But flying over water you need to turn off the VPS. That will be a problem in addition to the other facts mentioned here.

Yes perhaps it’s just a case of adapting my flying procedures to suit and ease off the throttle more gradually especially in those situations. I will still try doing firmware refresh and calibrations before next flight tho.

To be honest I agree although I am just back from a trip in some warmer climes ( main reason I bought the mini ) where I flew mostly over water / sea. More care had to be taken and I flew higher than I would of liked / wanted in some situations but in the main the mini performed ok.

Height shifts around with P3 4K, MA, and P4adv, with major speed changes around 8 - 12 in. Seems normal, probably a function of all the quick changes required from the fcs. Seems quite normal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23