DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

The pickyness of this criticism would be expected of a super duper high end videographer pro guy after noticing this flaw on his cinematic outfitted Matrice drone...

Bro, you got a Mavic Mini..

Hi! watched the two videos with which this thread started, to see the difference between how the Spark breaks upon releasing the yaw and how the Mini does not. To me, as a beginner with drones this is absolutely a non-issue. It even feels a bit like splitting hairs :) No offense intended. I just do not understand why it would matter to stop the yaw immediately. To me personally it is much more a problem that the Mini does not allow locking the white balance (like it allows locking exposure). Try shooting a snowy landscape and the white balance changes almost every second, showing all kinds of shades of white. Very ugly. I do hope they will fix this later. Just my two cents about what a real "deal breaker" is for a beginner like me.

Yep, Mini will be back at the store tomorrow, and back to flying M2.. I agree with you 100% on the Tripod Name..

Hi! watched the two videos with which this thread started, to see the difference between how the Spark breaks upon releasing the yaw and how the Mini does not. To me, as a beginner with drones this is absolutely a non-issue. It even feels a bit like splitting hairs :) No offense intended. I just do not understand why it would matter to stop the yaw immediately. To me personally it is much more a problem that the Mini does not allow locking the white balance (like it allows locking exposure). Try shooting a snowy landscape and the white balance changes almost every second, showing all kinds of shades of white. Very ugly. I do hope they will fix this later. Just my two cents about what a real "deal breaker" is for a beginner like me.
I suppose each one of us have our own wants, needs , and expectations, mine wasn't met!!

I suppose each one of us have our own wants, needs , and expectations, mine wasn't met!!

Why does it feel like I’m being shouted at while reading your posts?

Ok! We get it, it was a total dealbreaker for you that the yaw stops slowly and not suddenly. ??‍♂️ Should we have a New Orleans style funeral parade March behind you to the return desk at Best Buy?

heres the problem....its needs to be flown, yes the are drones out there that are PNP, but for the money its needs to be flown, rc for over 40 yrs, fixed wing and heli, thought heli was going to be EZ.....learned the hard way, needs to be flown, stick and rudder........

I noticed that right from the start when I flew my Mini for the first time. But I think that might be perfectly normal.

I can only explain it like this: Since the rotation / yaw of the drones is controlled by a change in the speed of the diagonally opposite motors, it must be due to the rotor blades, which are screwed on very loosely on the Mavic Mini and are therefore extremely flexible / swiveling. They are also closer to the center of the motor and for that two reasons are rotating (detached from the motor) more than the blades of other drones during flight. that is, if the motor speed changes for beginning or stopping the rotation, the blades “swing on” a little bit more because they are not so rigid in motion? So, the motors just can’t quickly transfer a motion change to the blades?

I can only compare it to my other drones and the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro are very accurate when rotating and performing very slight horizontal adjustments with the left stick. The Mavic Air has rigid blades, they’re not foldable... And therefore, the blades just follow the motors‘ movements perfectly. The Mavic 2 blades are foldable but much bigger and they are not swiveling all the time ... the joint is more rigid.

But for me, the flight behavior is just fine and the product is what it is intended to be. Fine for me :)
I like the slow mushy break because it makes for smoother and more fluid filming.

And that's exactly where is the problem.
Beginners will use to fly a drone with delay, which none other drone has.

It's like learning to drive a car with delay, after that, any possibility to evolve with other car, cause none act like it -_-'

It's like learning to drive a car with delay, after that, any possibility to evolve with other car, cause none act like it -_-'
Exactly!!

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!! Anyone else??? This is my 2nd brand new Mavic Mini and its headed back to the store like the 1st for a return due to laggy Yaw, with no braking upon letting off stick.
All other DJI drones Brake when letting off Yaw Control, or "Steering Control", Not Mavic Mini?? DJI cheaped out.
It does NOT feel like all other DJI Drones like many youtubers reported??
Here are 2 quick video's I made to show what Im talking about comparing to a Spark. I started a Post about it, with very little response, So I bought a 2nd unit just to be sure I didn't have a dud, then made these 2 vids for othrs wondering the same thing...
Mavic Mini
DJI Spark

You bought a Mavic Mini, you shouldn't expect all of the performance of the Mavic Pro Series drones

• Sad
Reactions: DynoTech
Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!! Anyone else???

Yeah I’d be pissed too, that handles very sloppy. It’s supposed to be an upgrade from the Spark, that is a step backwards.

As for restocking fees he has every right to try a second unit if the first didn’t feel right and be sure it wasn’t a dud. I’m sure he doesn’t feel the need to try a third. Even if he did though, he stated it was due to lack of similar comments on the issue so there was reasonable suspicion on his part that it could be a bad unit or two. Not unheard of at all for multiple units to have the same issues.

If that is a deal breaker for you. Maybe you should not be buying a mid range drone. Definitely not a deal breaker for people with the expectations of what it is. A beginner drone that takes fantastic video and still shots.

by the wayyour fingers are lagging at different speeds from
Right to left did anyone get rid of you.

Did you miss the part about the mid range drone it replaced(Spark) performing better? This is one reason I hardly even come on these forums, people spend more time nitpicking and attacking each other than acting like a supportive community.

Did you miss the part about the mid range drone it replaced(Spark) performing better? This is one reason I hardly even come on these forums, people spend more time nitpicking and attacking each other than acting like a supportive community.

That's not the defining characteristic of this forum - it is mostly supportive. As for the Spark performing better - that's subjective. DJI appears to have tweaked the performance to enhance certain flight characteristics. The fact that some users don't like those characteristics doesn't objectively make it worse.

Reactions: MontcoMM
Dealbreaker? Really? Maybe you just need to fly more often and train your hands? I don’t see any problems with mini yaw, really

Maybe his hands temporarily forgot how to control the Mini well, but totally remembered fine when he demonstrated the same thing with his Spark ?

I’d just like to point out for those here that this is a firmware issue as demonstrated below.

The drone acts this way because DJI programmed it to (which I hate personally).
There should really be an option to turn this off.

From my point of view this is a feature, not a bug. Slow yaw stopping really makes nicer movies. If no other drone has this feature, maybe it is time they all did :) But there should be an option to switch it off, so that everybody can be happy. Which are the situations where the instant yaw stop helps? I'm asking because I'm trying to understand how people use it. Is it good maybe for racing but not filming? Again, for me, if no other drone has this, this is evolution :) It's just that everybody 's wishes should be taken into account and allow turning it off.

From my point of view this is a feature, not a bug. Slow yaw stopping really makes nicer movies. If no other drone has this feature, maybe it is time they all did :) But there should be an option to switch it off, so that everybody can be happy. Which are the situations where the instant yaw stop helps? I'm asking because I'm trying to understand how people use it. Is it good maybe for racing but not filming? Again, for me, if no other drone has this, this is evolution :) It's just that everybody 's wishes should be taken into account and allow turning it off.
I actually agree to a certain extent. Having both as an option would be amazing. That way I can turn it off if I just want to fly for fun or in tight spaces (it's very hard to maneuver due to the slow yaw), and I can turn the slow yaw on when I want help getting smoother, cinematic shots.
As it is right now I'd much rather have the drone respond to my inputs as expected. Having no choice is frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423