DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC, Noisey, Noisey, Noisey!

How many people posting here have also posted saying "no way I would upgrade to the Mavic Platinum Pro, it is not $100 more quiet".

The Mavic Air is new, maybe it is more noisy, maybe Mavic Pro users are just upset because the Air is more modern and has more features.

Posting comments of "no way I would move" are not very helpful. Some people are coming in as new users with the Air so let's give them useful information and not just dismiss their purchase as a noisy pile of crap.

and still nobody complains about noisy lawnmowers.

how dare they...

Yes but lawnmowers can’t spy on you in the backyard...lurking...hiding...waiting...secretly recording your daughter in a bathing suit...

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Firmware has corrected the faults.
Fw did not correct faults of how dji had to fix their cameras because of unusable 1080p 60fps moire/aliasing now new mavs come with new camera hardware. Also in the beginning there was the dreaded compass error in sports mode dji had to start twisting the motor wires to minimize interference to compasses. So yea fw has fixed alot but there was some hardware faults. Oh another was the hall sensors in alot of remotes were going bad with "stick error" u had to rub a magnet around sticks to try to fix it....these are just off the top of my head its been a journey with my pro but i do love that bird

None of them are practically inconspicuous so the noise is not a consideration for me. At distances where you can clearly see the drone, they ALL will be quite audible. Would I love a drone that was whisper quiet without any other trade-offs? Surely, especially for the ability to record ambient sound instead of props spinning, but again, NONE of them are going to be good at that right now. So for me, the noise is a very minor consideration or no consideration at all. For others, the difference in pitch, loudness, or a subjective "quality" of sound may certainly be a consideration (and that's okay). I think the differences in sound are certainly noteworthy, so I appreciate reviewers mentioning it for those who DO make it a consideration.

Fw did not correct faults of how dji had to fix their cameras because of unusable 1080p 60fps moire/aliasing now new mavs come with new camera hardware. Also in the beginning there was the dreaded compass error in sports mode dji had to start twisting the motor wires to minimize interference to compasses. So yea fw has fixed alot but there was some hardware faults. Oh another was the hall sensors in alot of remotes were going bad with "stick error" u had to rub a magnet around sticks to try to fix it....these are just off the top of my head its been a journey with my pro but i do love that bird
And all very valid points. But it seems you where unfortunately one of the unlucky ones and got a bad Mp. Whereas I on the other hand haven't had a problem. We pay alot of money for these machines and we expect them to be perfect and in an ideal world they should be. But in reality they're not and never have been. Even the inspire came with its flaws. Look at the Mavic air, a brand new 2018 aircraft, but again "faults". Like I said in my original comment, there isn't a single one that hasn't come with issues. Probably never will be either. I absolutely agree with you on the 1080p issue, however on the flip side, the Mp is hands down an amazing aircraft. Being equipped with ocusync alone is a massive game changer, not to mention duel imu facility for redundancy, it's ability to fold away so compact, it's fantastic ability of range, and I could go on and on. But ultimately the Mp is amazing, so is the Mavic air, inspire, Matrice, phantoms. But they all have faults, issues or incapabilities compared to eachother. It all depends on what application you use which aircraft for.

Haha loud. Ya. Mkay.

Y’all so funny.

I should flip out when the neighbor mows at 7am on a Sunday then.

This is it exactly, I don't get why people say the Air is "loud", yes it hits some annoying frequencies but basically everything that happens day to day is as loud or louder.

Neighbours mowing is a great example, that's noisier than the Mavic Air by several dB while not quite occupying the same frequency range. A power mower will usually make ~95dB of noise, that's quite a bit louder than the Air. Watch out if he gets out his leaf blower as well, because that's another 94dB of noise. Most things about motor vehicles, especially older diesels is as loud or louder than the Mavic Air. If you live near a main road, the background noise from traffic will drown out the sound of the Air once it starts moving away from you. If you're sat inside a car in slow moving city traffic, that's 85dB.

The main problem is we're made to fly away from all of these noises due to the whole "don't fly near people and property", so we're flying in an open space with minimal background noise and in those situations the drone will sound loud. Of course if you compare a tiny drone against a drone with much bigger propellers, the drone with the bigger propellers will obviously be quieter because bigger propellers do not have to move through the air as fast to generate the same or greater lift.

Yes but lawnmowers can’t spy on you in the backyard...lurking...hiding...waiting...secretly recording your daughter in a bathing suit...

Neither can a quadcopter. The definition of "spying" is "secretly collecting information".

There is nothing that meets the definition of "spying" about a drone - you're not secretly obtaining information - there's a noisy thing hovering overhead giving away your position. You can't simultaneously complain about noise while calling it a spying device.

Pedantic? I prefer nuanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2EJ and mavic6611
Neither can a quadcopter. The definition of "spying" is "secretly collecting information".

There is nothing that meets the definition of "spying" about a drone - you're not secretly obtaining information - there's a noisy thing hovering overhead giving away your position. You can't simultaneously complain about noise while calling it a spying device.

Pedantic? I prefer nuanced.

I dont see how you could have taken my statement seriously... lol

Reactions: synaesthesia
I hate when my drone spys on me.... it follows me places.... I just know there is some small oriental female rocking her jollies off to my fat butt trying to run to check the mail. You know they are watching... we agree to let them watch when we click "agree to terms".

....and you guys are worried about the noise. ppfff

I dance naked in front of mine. I just pray for the day when an army of 5' tall Chinese gals want to come attack me.

Reactions: Coskier and W2EJ
I would welcome a quiet drone but wind noise is impossible to get rid of with today's technology. I find that I am always trying to avoid human contact at all cost when I fly. It seems EVERYWHERE is a questionable fly zone. Having a quieter drone would be helpful but I digress.

I compromised louder blade noise for portability. The portability factor is awesome (unlike my Phantom). Now the evil drone hating humans don't even know I have drone on my person. I can hike up a trail without a backpack and nothing in my hands. I find a nice little outcropping, I hide, then fly.

I currently live in Canada and it seems every suburb, park, forest, a lake is off limits (anything visually interesting). Either by virtue of it being someone else's property or due to the fact a helicopter or plane "could" possibly land somewhere within 9 kilometers. It's the helicopter rule that is killing me. Take a look at Ottawa. Not one square meter is permissible for drone flight. I could drive direct from Ottawa, ON to Ogdensburg NY and not find a single place to fly a drone. Hiding is the best policy if you want to fly.

Reactions: Mxs and vashon100
put quieter blades on mavic and its about half the noise when it hovers it seems to make the most, about 120m I can't hear it at 200m with the old blades although Ive notice its not quite as fast as it was...

Reactions: Brandaloo
I would welcome a quiet drone but wind noise is impossible to get rid of with today's technology. I find that I am always trying to avoid human contact at all cost when I fly. It seems EVERYWHERE is a questionable fly zone. Having a quieter drone would be helpful but I digress.

I compromised louder blade noise for portability. The portability factor is awesome (unlike my Phantom). Now the evil drone hating humans don't even know I have drone on my person. I can hike up a trail without a backpack and nothing in my hands. I find a nice little outcropping, I hide, then fly.

I currently live in Canada and it seems every suburb, park, forest, a lake is off limits (anything visually interesting). Either by virtue of it being someone else's property or due to the fact a helicopter or plane "could" possibly land somewhere within 9 kilometers. It's the helicopter rule that is killing me. Take a look at Ottawa. Not one square meter is permissible for drone flight. I could drive direct from Ottawa, ON to Ogdensburg NY and not find a single place to fly a drone. Hiding is the best policy if you want to fly.
I live in Canada as well and gov will never lighten up on the law reason why flying smallest drone is important so no one sees it or hears it.. People. Don'tt complain when it's small like when I had the spark but I sold it because it wasnt a great performer.. Im hoping the MA is as good or better than my MP.. If it louder I don't care.. People look and see small drone they don'tt care but they see a loud phantom they complain.. At least this was my experience.. FYI.. Quad racers are super loud and many fly in my park and no one complains because they are small... You keep your MA in LOS and don'tt fly around people or buildings.. No one will bust you unless you are near large airport which I don't recommend..

I find the air to be a very "real" quad.
It is a bit noisy tho lol. I kinda like it. Especially in sport mode wheeeew!!! It only screams because it has all that power that NEEDS UNLEASHED BLAAAAHHHH!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Mavic Pro. Only way to go

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas