DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 - 905 grams???

RPSM

Reactions
I see the specs showing 905 grams for the MP2. Did DJI really just make this unsellable in the European Union (i.e., no consumer can fly this without a class C2 license near people, and cannot be flown over people under any circumstance - both things you can do with the Mavic Air)?

This has to have been done on purpose... why?

UPDATE: For those not reading to the end, DJI Sales replied as follows. I guess it means don't buy this drone if you want to qualify for a C1 Class:

Dear XXX,

Mavic Pro 2 in fact is 907g, For its over the 900g limit for class C1 drones in the EU, we suggest you fly the drones under the new regulations.

Enjoy it,
Thanks.

Best regards,
DJI

Last edited:
Reactions: dtp and Skyscope
I see the specs showing 905 grams for the MP2. Did DJI really just make this unsellable in the European Union? This has to have been done on purpose... why?
Can you elaborate? What's the law there

No they didn't. Its 900g or 80J. Thats an important difference.

I see the specs showing 905 grams for the MP2. Did DJI really just make this unsellable in the European Union? This has to have been done on purpose... why?
Don't understand your issue, but I can assure you they are selling like hot cakes, plenty of European buyers.

He means the new EASA rules coming in.

(Which typical for EU rules were written by unqualified committees with no expert consultation).

They've introduced drone categories based on weight. <80J OR 900g category.

European harmonisation of drone regulations 'en route' to the EC is the chart

(and yes even over 900g can be sold in the EU. They havent yet got around to writing 5000 more documents to outlaw that).

(Which typical for EU rules were written by unqualified committees with no expert consultation).

(and yes even over 900g can be sold in the EU. They havent yet got around to writing 5000 more documents to outlaw that).
I see that now, thanks, interesting, and so DJI should also have reduced the top speed to no greater than 19m/s, I think it's 20m/s for M2P/Z. I think if DJI could have shaved off another 7 grams they would have, obviously not possible.20180825_132017.jpeg

They may release a cripple-ware firmware for the EU version to reduce the max speed i guess if its an issue.
Luckily by the time this EASA junk gets in, the UK wont have to follow it. Our own drone laws are far more sensible.

Reactions: Gray52
I appreciate all the replies, however this isn't about politics. The EU regulations require a speed less than 19 m/s, a weight of less than 900g OR 80 J (which for the MP2 would mean a top speed of less than 48 Km/h). This of course only applies for class C1, but it's the maximum that a consumer is likely to take. More requires a test in a recognised centre, which remains to be seen how costly or difficult. I find it difficult to believe they could not have cut 5g on the Pro and 7g on the Zoom, hence my question, did they do this on purpose?

Last edited:
Reactions: radman
They may release a cripple-ware firmware for the EU version to reduce the max speed i guess if its an issue.
Luckily by the time this EASA junk gets in, the UK wont have to follow it. Our own drone laws are far more sensible.

I don't want to get into politics, but the UK regulations are at least – if not more – stringent, and I would expect to see even more regulations in the coming years. If anything, the EU ensures that the same rules will apply throughout the union.

Proposed UK rules:
  • Whether the 1km flight restriction around protected aerodromes is sufficient
  • Police issuing fixed penalty notices to people flouting drone laws
  • Using new counter-drone technology to protect public events and critical national infrastructure, and prevent contraband from reaching prisons
  • Introducing minimum age restrictions for drone owners
  • Proposals for regulating and mandating the use of apps on which drone users would file flight plans ahead of take-off
Like the EU regulations, drones over 250g require registration and an online test. However the EU limits for flying near or over people are significantly more relaxed, as with proper registration and a C1 class drone, you can fly over people.

Last edited:
2 pounds in the free world.............

As I stated separately, a less than 80J category would require the MP2 to fly at less than 48 Km/h. Therefore DJI missed the C1 classification by 4 grams (about 0.45%). That seems very odd to me.

IF that comes in effect it won't be before a year or 2. They don't need to care yet. Or better, they make it so they are ready to sell you version 3 when it happens.

My wife is from eastern Europe and in a year or two, we plan to visit.

We bought the M2P, which I plan to eventually use when we visit. I don't care what Angela Merkel thinks.

By then, I will have figured out a work around.

I don't want to get into politics, but the UK regulations are at least – if not more – stringent, and I would expect to see even more regulations in the coming years. If anything, the EU ensures that the same rules will apply throughout the union.

Proposed UK rules:

Proposed....the rules are in for that.
They're MUCH less restrictive than the design-by-committee EU rulings. and the 80J refers to a drone falling at terminal velocity not horizontal speed so its going to depend on drag and so on. The MP was something like 70.

We'll only get more restrictions of the number of morons keep flouting the rules left,right and centre.

Either way wont be an issue, by the time the commission finishes talking about it and paying each other off the mavic 3 will be out (and the UK not in EASA) so i cant see the issue.

For the lifespan of THIS product its not an issue.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I see the specs showing 905 grams for the MP2. Did DJI really just make this unsellable in the European Union (i.e., no consumer can fly this without a class C2 license near people, and cannot be flown over people under any circumstance - both things you can do with the Mavic Air)?

I'm asking myself the same question, 5gr just to lose the C1 category (for the Mavic 2 Zoom), most of the weight comes from the 4s battery, I think a slightly lighter battery (produced by DJI) could do the trick better than a speed limitation.

However "rules" and drones could change in a few months. So let's fly today!

I'd like to see real world weights as I've measured 6g variations between M1 batteries.

A non folding prop would be an easy way to lose 8g.

I’m America you are not supposed to fly over people. I don’t see how it’s unsellable?

It depends on a country regulations. In Poland for example drones below 600g are considered more like a toy and has less restrictions.

I'm asking myself the same question, 5gr just to lose the C1 category (for the Mavic 2 Zoom), most of the weight comes from the 4s battery, I think a slightly lighter battery (produced by DJI) could do the trick better than a speed limitation.

However "rules" and drones could change in a few months. So let's fly today!

Perhaps, but the EU rules apply from January, and in a lot of countries from now (Spain just recently amended them to be in line with the proposals, it's not quite there but they will amend it shortly - Spain is quite the law passer). I looked into the 80J criteria after prodding from gnirtS and my conclusion is that it doesn't pass. The EU are not stupid (regardless of the current Brexiter comments) and calculating the Jules on impact is frankly impossible. It depends on the worst case scenario of the shape of the object for the drag coefficient, the worst case scenario of the temperature at which the drone will be flown, the actual altitude of the drone (as opposed to the 120m height restriction), the wind conditions, etc. Sorry, but that's why wind-tunnels exist because fluid dynamics is complicated. Too complicated to warrant a 5g weight differential to qualify for C1. Someone either messed up or they did it on purpose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore