DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Image Quality

Newton Heath

Reactions
Hi I am new to the group and the owner of the new Hassleblad. I took my first flight yesterday to test out the image quality of the camera. I was in manual focus using infinity at F11 which is my favoured Fstop as a photographer for landscape. In post production I noticed the image was soft and I even used custom settings with sharpness at plus 1. Yes it's not a full frame camera but I was expecting something a little better. Anybody else finding this issue and if you did, could you tell me if it's early software issue or there is a better work around.

First picture from Mavic 2nd from Dslr

Thanks for your time.FB_IMG_1536654852266.jpeg_MG_2046.jpeg

Reactions: Drea
Maybe the sweet spot for this lens isn’t at f11 maybe somewhere between f5.6-f8
Cheers Supremefocus, might take it out later and work my way through the Fstops backwards and see what results I get. Somebody told me they had seen reports it's maybe a software issue but not sure given I am not a seasoned pro with drones.

On this sensor's size/resolution combo aka pixel density F11 is in diffraction loss territory already. 5.6-8 is more appropriate indeed.
Software stuff you found likely relates to video, not stills.

BTW, can't exactly judge sharpness on the tiny 700px images you posted...

Reactions: Trees138
Hi I am new to the group and the owner of the new Hassleblad. I took my first flight yesterday to test out the image quality of the camera. I was in manual focus using infinity at F11 which is my favoured Fstop as a photographer for landscape. In post production I noticed the image was soft and I even used custom settings with sharpness at plus 1. Yes it's not a full frame camera but I was expecting something a little better. Anybody else finding this issue and if you did, could you tell me if it's early software issue or there is a better work around.

First picture from Mavic 2nd from Dslr

Thanks for your time.View attachment 46101View attachment 46102
It looks like you used a slow shutter speed clearly to get this effect which by the way is great. Having the drone hover combined with the slow shutter could reduce the sharpness that concerns you. Faster shutter speeds are must better but you looses the water effect. Try it with the drone on the ground or on a stand to see if it improves?

Reactions: Neckcrank
It looks like you used a slow shutter speed clearly to get this effect which by the way is great. Having the drone hover combined with the slow shutter could reduce the sharpness that concerns you. Faster shutter speeds are must better but you looses the water effect. Try it with the drone on the ground or on a stand to see if it improves?
As he mentioned the 2nd picture was taken with his DSLR, pretty likely on a tripod.

Was likely provided as a sharpness reference, but given the postage stamp size it doesn't work.

Reactions: Red 5 and Indy443
Diffraction starts at F8 on the lens, so try something lower then that. :)

Maybe the sweet spot for this lens isn’t at f11 maybe somewhere between f5.6-f8

Correct, its not.
f/11 has so much diffraction its unusable.

The sweet spot is f/4 with f/2.8 being near identical and 5.6 "ok" as well. There are threads on this with sample images.

Also, even at f/2.8 infinity focus is at 3.3m so you dont need f/11 and manual focus.

Two very basic photography concepts there.

Reactions: dtp and Dorin
As far as I understood it, there is no increase in sharpness as you close the aperture on this kind of lens (this comes from a guy who worked on the development team of DJI itself). Its meant as a way to control the shutter speed only: Drone diaries: the 2018 DJI Mavic 2 Pro review :

"That sensor is mated to a matched 28mm-equivalent lens with variable f2.8-11 aperture (for light and thus shutter speed control, not DOF) that resolves very well right into the corners, at all apertures."

Reactions: Larry Gibson
You can’t compare the apertures and diffraction of different lenses on same sensor, comparing a dslr (full frame) to 1” haselblad is like complaining the macros with the iPhone are not the same as with a dedicated macro lens on a full frame, completely different leagues

As far as I understood it, there is no increase in sharpness as you close the aperture on this kind of lens (this comes from a guy who worked on the development team of DJI itself). Its meant as a way to control the shutter speed only: Drone diaries: the 2018 DJI Mavic 2 Pro review :

"That sensor is mated to a matched 28mm-equivalent lens with variable f2.8-11 aperture (for light and thus shutter speed control, not DOF) that resolves very well right into the corners, at all apertures."

Yes, but he then goes on to mention diffraction effects at f/8 and downwards. Basic physics here. We have a small sensor which with small apertures is going to cause diffraction. You can't cheat physics.

Its a totally different thing to corner sharpness.

Edit:- Aperture sharpness results <-- there we go. Samples

You can’t compare the apertures and diffraction of different lenses on same sensor, comparing a dslr (full frame) to 1” haselblad is like complaining the macros with the iPhone are not the same as with a dedicated macro lens on a full frame, completely different leagues
Diffraction is nothing complex, it depends on only 2 things which are aperture and pixel pitch, the latter being defined by sensor size and pixel count. Very easy to predict, and unsurprisingly what calculations give is pretty well in line with tests.

About image quality, isn't anyone bothered with how yellowish the image appears with the M2P?

Its warmer for sure, trivial to back off the white balance though so not an issue.

Not particularly, no.

It all depends on how you set it up and process it.

EEA04D47-4D66-4212-B7B0-84306464272C.jpeg Here is a photo I took today for a realtor friend of mine. I am far from a professional but I’m really happy with how the camera is working out. JPEG right off the SD card. ISO 100, f/2.8, spot auto focus. I don’t recall the shutter. No ND filter.

Good job, “Kid,” ;-) and any non-droner can quickly see that photo had to be shot from the air. (Yes, I know everyone reading this is going...DUHHhhhh...but I continue to be surprised by the lack of knowledge the average non-droner possesses. And despite enormous increase in drone sales, at least in this country, I am guessing there are still a whole bunch of realtors who haven’t “seen the light” yet. So good luck with that venture and don’t, as we say in the Navy, “Tease the animals” with the new MP2. :)

I have only done one freebie job after last year’s hurricane, I took photos of a friend’s damaged tile roof with my MP1. But, I have a realtor friend who recently contacted me about doing some work so we’ll see. No 107 “rating” yet but hopefully, soon. Meanwhile, one question?

Did you leave the settings at 0 for Sharpness, Contrast, and Saturation? (Defaults)

The more I look at my stills the more I think I’m going to try -1 on sharpness. From a distance (eye to computer display,) the images look fantastic but when I drill down, even in the raw images, I can see some hard edges here and there. I do love “crispy” but often times, it is not only not needed, it’s not generally desired for non-detail photography.

Fly safe and keep up the good work..

KB

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots