DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Is there even such a thing as a true 1 inch sensor? I thought they were all around 16mm?
You are correct. 16mm is the closest to "1 inch-TYPE".

There is no such thing as a "1 inch" image sensor. If I were DJI, I'd follow Sony's legal department on this one and fix their marketing material fast.

CT

For years I have always typed "1inch-TYPE" image sensor. I always kept getting people that asked me "Why do you keep saying "type" in your "1 inch" text?"

I would always answer "because it's NOT 1 inch in size. It's much smaller...there is no such thing as a 1 inch sensor"

It means 1inch vacuum tube circuit requirement....not 1 inch sensor size. I'm warning DJI. They are going to get busted!

CT ;-)

I do not want to talk you out of anything but this guy posted this video weeks ago explaining DJI's use of the sensor. I always fly in HQ mode, which is why I've never noticed any of this crap these guys are on about! Hahaha!

You are not talking me out of anything. My logic is very simple here, I have to get a drone and I will only get M2P or M2Z (it's a long story but this is the conclusion). I got the pro because of image quality. Now if HQ is offering legit 4k "1 inch sensor" quality and Zoom is not getting better result in FOV, then I am fine with Pro. I know it's not meeting the expectation of a Hasselblad in FOV but at least it's better than other portal drones.

Reactions: JBrand
For years I have always typed "1inch-TYPE" image sensor. I always kept getting people that asked me "Why do you keep saying "type" in your "1 inch" text?"

I would always answer "because it's NOT 1 inch in size. It's much smaller...there is no such thing as a 1 inch sensor"

It means 1inch vacuum tube circuit requirement....not 1 inch sensor size. I'm warning DJI. They are going to get busted!

CT ;-)
I can’t see the problem here. 1”, 4/3 (four thirds), 1/2.3 etc... They all relate to vacuum tube imaging devices. How else could anyone conveniently understand how a particular focal length lens might perform when CCD’s were first introduced. As a simple reference the actual horizontal area of the sensor is roughly 2/3 of the quoted size (being the outer diameter of the original tube device it equates to).

DJI can relax about being sued over this I think.

You are not talking me out of anything. My logic is very simple here, I have to get a drone and I will only get M2P or M2Z (it's a long story but this is the conclusion). I got the pro because of image quality. Now if HQ is offering legit 4k "1 inch sensor" quality and Zoom is not getting better result in FOV, then I am fine with Pro. I know it's not meeting the expectation of a Hasselblad in FOV but at least it's better than other portal drones.
The problem is, it only uses a 4K area of the sensor but due to the way CMOS sensors work that doesn't mean you get 4K resolution. You actually need more than that to get true 4K resolution. That's why the P4P uses the whole 5,7K sensor and still doesn't get true 4K resolution, but it's very close.

The M2P, even in HQ mode is not even close to true 4k resolution. The zoom is probably closer to true 4K resolution but it can't match the overall image quality of the Pro.
This is much more complicated than people think.

Reactions: chunky
If the cameras are swappable. Is the picture processor in the camera part or somewhere inside the craft body. Is there a same processor for both cameras?

The sensor in a 35mm camera is 36mm wide but the 1" sensor in the M2P is 1/2" wide.

In HQ mode the sensor area used is 3/8" x 1/4", not even close to 1".

Considering pic. processor prices it's hard to imagine that they used more expensive chip that can handle bigger sensor and put it in zoom body. It was, most probably, other way around.
In that case mystery is solved. No marketing reason, holding back for P5, size of the sensor, heating.....
Just underrated processor.
The same as mav1 first edition. not enough power (it couldn't do proper binning in 60p).

Attachments

• Hasselblad.jpg
    Hasselblad.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: mattball
The problem is, it only uses a 4K area of the sensor but due to the way CMOS sensors work that doesn't mean you get 4K resolution. You actually need more than that to get true 4K resolution. That's why the P4P uses the whole 5,7K sensor and still doesn't get true 4K resolution, but it's very close.

The M2P, even in HQ mode is not even close to true 4k resolution. The zoom is probably closer to true 4K resolution but it can't match the overall image quality of the Pro.
This is much more complicated than people think.

Um it's been shown that in HQ mode the sensor area is larger than with the Zoom, 1 Pro or Evo.

P4P is better value at this price point with better quality images compared to the M2P. Plus the P4P has no lens distortion whatsoever.

It almost infuriates me that DJI are celebrating a distorted Hasselblad lens with less than true 4k resolution video at this price point !!! Granted, it's very portable and it's harder to crash, plus a little more battery life.

Log is useless due to distortion, HLG has too much noise in the darker shadows and is therefore useless. H.265 is useless for most people due to hardware demands. Finally the overall depth of the 'high' dynamic range isn't remarkable (sensor?).

You get the picture, the negatives are really stacking up! You can see why a lot of people are upset with the marketing hype.

Last edited:
P4P is better value at this price point with better quality images compared to the M2P. Plus the P2P has no lens distortion whatsoever.

It almost infuriates me that DJI are celebrating a distorted Hasselblad lens with less than true 4k resolution video at this price point !!! Granted, it's very portable and it's harder to crash, plus a little more battery life.

Log is useless due to distortion, HLG has too much noise in the darker shadows and is therefore useless. H.265 is useless for most people due to hardware demands. Finally the overall depth of the 'high' dynamic range isn't remarkable (sensor?).

You get the picture, the negatives are really stacking up! You can see why a lot of people are upset with the marketing hype.
I guess you mean the P4P has no lens distortion. If only that were true. It is corrected before the file is written to the SD. I’m guessing you haven’t had a play with the M2? It’s actually very good.

P4P is better value at this price point with better quality images compared to the M2P. Plus the P2P has no lens distortion whatsoever.

The P4P has plenty of distortion - it's just being corrected in the recorded files, while the M2P doesn't do that in 10-bit mode. The MP2 has native 4k resolution - it's not being upsampled, it's being subsampled on the chip, and that is leading to aliasing in some situations. H265 is becoming ubiquitous and virtually all new(ish) computers should have hardware support it. The P4P is probably better value if you are suitably selective about which advantages of the M2P you care about.

I guess you mean the P4P has no lens distortion. If only that were true. It is corrected before the file is written to the SD. I’m guessing you haven’t had a play with the M2? It’s actually very good.

Yep! I burned three batteries today. It's funny, I'm probably considered a fan boy or whatever but I'm actually just trying to bring people off the ledge. I'm not privy to what DJI was trying to do but per the launch event, they worked with photographers, cinematographers, etc and asked what they wanted. Apparently, they wanted a very untouched product. DJI delivered. Now the the "hobbyists" are upset that it doesn't do everything for them in every mode. All they have to do is shoot in normal... It's like giving dark chocolate to children.

I bought the M2P to grow into as a creator. I already know how to fly but I've never been that big on making or posting videos. As evidenced by 4T of unedited video from my MP. I've purchased Premiere Pro, I'm actually typing this while I'm waiting for my new computer to initialize and I plan to start seriously studying the finer points of editing. I'm hoping to grow into the equipment, rather than dumbing it down to my current level.

Yes, I own both. M2P is proving to be a very disappointing experience for me personally. It seems that most useful M2P features combinations are either half baked from a design point of view or simply incomplete. I see at least two major firmware updates during the next six moths. This is very much work in progress at the moment.

Yep! I burned three batteries today. It's funny, I'm probably considered a fan boy or whatever but I'm actually just trying to bring people off the ledge. I'm not privy to what DJI was trying to do but per the launch event, they worked with photographers, cinematographers, etc and asked what they wanted. Apparently, they wanted a very untouched product. DJI delivered. Now the the "hobbyists" are upset that it doesn't do everything for them in every mode. All they have to do is shoot in normal... It's like giving dark chocolate to children.

I bought the M2P to grow into as a creator. I already know how to fly but I've never been that big on making or posting videos. As evidenced by 4T of unedited video from my MP. I've purchased Premiere Pro, I'm actually typing this while I'm waiting for my new computer to initialize and I plan to start seriously studying the finer points of editing. I'm hoping to grow into the equipment, rather than dumbing it down to my current level.

I wouldn't recommend that you patronise the 'hobbyists'. You are not actually bringing people off the ledge. This forum has worked hard to provide readers with the deep insight and analysis that has been seriously lacking from DJI since the product launch of the M2P. No doubt this forum will be immensely helpful to you as you progress your journey to achieve a deeper understanding of the underlying technology. We all know it's a great drone, but there are elements of the product claims that we are deeply unhappy with. No doubt you will come to understand this in the future.

Sweet!!!! Your flying the M2 rather than pixel peeping.

Im really hoping people haven't been turned off the M2 by all the guesses as to what issues we might be dealing with.

As to the theories to date it seems apparent now the sensor overheating and line skipping/addition weren't right.

I have bounced some HQ MLOG test takes I shot to a friend who does post product for a living and asked him for an opinion on the quality. Will be interesting what he says- he is very familiar with the footage from the P4P. Now Im wondering how many cartons of beer I will need to part with to get him to make a LUT for me.

Wow, simply wow! You spent hours in this thread trying to disprove and mock any negative opinion over 4k quality of this drone and yet you were never that big into content and just started with Premiere!? What else can be said? Have fun and good luck! :)

I wouldn't recommend that you patronise the 'hobbyists'. You are not actually bringing people off the ledge. This forum has worked hard to provide readers with the deep insight and analysis that has been seriously lacking from DJI since the product launch of the M2P. No doubt this forum will be immensely helpful to you as you progress your journey to achieve a deeper understanding of the underlying technology. We all know it's a great drone, but there are elements of the product claims that we are deeply unhappy with. No doubt you will come to understand this in the future.

There's a lot of hysteria at the moment and throwing of accusations around. You may want to check the joined date, buddy. I'm not "new" by any stretch. I took my first photography class in 1981 and have been flying drones since before the Parrot AR Drone 1.0 came out. Which was my first consumer drone. I'm not "patronizing" but the point is valid. Everything you're complaining about is fixed in post. If you fly in normal, none of these things apply. I'm also on the GoPro and 3DR forums as I own a Karma and Solo. Technically, I could join the Yuneec forum and I used to have an XStar Premium so...

Im really hoping people haven't been turned off the M2 by all the guesses as to what issues we might be dealing with.

As to the theories to date it seems apparent now the sensor overheating and line skipping/addition weren't right.

I have bounced some HQ MLOG test takes I shot to a friend who does post product for a living and asked him for an opinion on the quality. Will be interesting what he says- he is very familiar with the footage from the P4P. Now Im wondering how many cartons of beer I will need to part with to get him to make a LUT for me.

Well, it may not be ideal but DJI had posted a lut for DLogM on their website. It's worth a shot anyway...

Well that's a lut on DJI's website you may want to check out. It can't hurt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661