DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Here's a "H3" on the Mavic Air, I'm guessing same as the M2, its on the FCC teardown

U11X1710 MAVIC AIR Teardown Internal Photos SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

1541375063897.png

1541375797244.png

1541375840709.png

1541375884464.png

Credit:
大疆御Mavic Air无人机拆解 几大发现暴露后续产品趋势

In any case I dont think the Air or M2 use Ambarella. Assuming its the same part in the Air/M2, Perhaps this custom part is OK for 1/2.3" sensors but just isnt cut out for 1" sensors given we know the gimbals are interchangeable and the SoC resides on the core board. Perhaps they should have beefed up the SoC in the pro version. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Actually, the truest form of 4k is not a 1:1 readout from a RGGB Bayer pattern sensor. The truest 4k would come from 3 RGB channels each at 8.2megapixels (3 RGB channels each with 100% full raster source)

Cliff Totten
Hey Cliff, any update on that Evo and Mavic comparison?

Here's a "H3" on the Mavic Air, I'm guessing same as the M2, its on the FCC teardown

U11X1710 MAVIC AIR Teardown Internal Photos SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

View attachment 52366

View attachment 52372

View attachment 52373

View attachment 52374

Credit:
大疆御Mavic Air无人机拆解 几大发现暴露后续产品趋势

In any case I dont think the Air or M2 use Ambarella. Assuming its the same part in the Air/M2, Perhaps this custom part is OK for 1/2.3" sensors but just isnt cut out for 1" sensors given we know the gimbals are interchangeable and the SoC resides on the core board. Perhaps they should have beefed up the SoC in the pro version. Just a guess.
You know there should be people with answers to this. Remember the Youtubers that got their test drone before the event was postponed? They would know if the settings changed since then. Or if they experienced problems, causing DJI to postpone. I certainly recall iJustine leaking a pic from her video, that was days before original event was postponed.

Hi guys

I was more interested by the Mavic 2 Zoom but I got a great deal on the Mavic 2 Pro that I bought for 1200 dollars. I didn't use it yet but I have heard of the softness problem on the Full FOV mode. That's a shame cause I mostly wanted to shoot wide landscapes and I will definitely not achieve the same results with the narrow FOV of the HQ mode. I really like the sharpness of the Zoom that's why I was wondering if it was possible to get the same crisp image in the 2 pro as in the zoom by adjusting the sharpness or any other thing in the camera settings or in post production?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Hi guys

I was more interested by the Mavic 2 Zoom but I got a great deal on the Mavic 2 Pro that I bought for 1200 dollars. I didn't use it yet but I have heard of the softness problem on the Full FOV mode. That's a shame cause I mostly wanted to shoot wide landscapes and I will definitely not achieve the same results with the narrow FOV of the HQ mode. I really like the sharpness of the Zoom that's why I was wondering if it was possible to get the same crisp image in the pro as in the zoom by adjusting the sharpness or any other thing in the camera settings or in post production?

Thanks for your help

No not possible. Buy the Mavic 1 it has sharper image

Last edited:
Hi guys

I was more interested by the Mavic 2 Zoom but I got a great deal on the Mavic 2 Pro that I bought for 1200 dollars. I didn't use it yet but I have heard of the softness problem on the Full FOV mode. That's a shame cause I mostly wanted to shoot wide landscapes and I will definitely not achieve the same results with the narrow FOV of the HQ mode. I really like the sharpness of the Zoom that's why I was wondering if it was possible to get the same crisp image in the 2 pro as in the zoom by adjusting the sharpness or any other thing in the camera settings or in post production?

Thanks for your help
Where did you get the M2 Pro for $1200?
Sharpening can be applied in post on 10 bit H.265 D-Log M mode, along with lens correction.

What you mean? You can get even SHARPER image than the zoom by buying the mavic 1

Actually I already had the Mavic 1 and I just sold it to get the Mavic 2 Pro thinking that the image quality was going to be a step further. Yes the image is better in many ways than the first generation of mavic but not in terms of sharpness. The zoom has best of both worlds: a sharp image with a great dynamic range and great colors. That's why I was asking if I should return the Mavic 2 Pro in order to get the zoom or if I can still hope to get the same sharp image as the zoom by tweaking the sharpness settings of the Mavic 2 pro.

Where did you get the M2 Pro for $1200?
Sharpening can be applied in post on 10 bit H.265 D-Log M mode, along with lens correction.

Thanks for your answer. Sounds interesting. So this might not work in other profiles than D-Log?

And I got the Mavic 2 Pro at this price at Mediamarkt shop in Switzerland. It was actually cheaper than the Mavic 2 Zoom.

Actually I already had the Mavic 1 and I just sold it to get the Mavic 2 Pro thinking that the image quality was going to be a step further. Yes the image is better in many ways than the first generation of mavic but not in terms of sharpness. The zoom has best of both worlds: a sharp image with a great dynamic range and great colors. That's why I was asking if I should return the Mavic 2 Pro in order to get the zoom or if I can still hope to get the same sharp image as the zoom by tweaking the sharpness settings of the Mavic 2 pro.

Mavic 2 is a step backward for sharpness. That’s what this thread shows you

Mavic 2 is a step backward for sharpness. That’s what this thread shows you

Are you talking about JPEG sharpness straight off the card, RAW sharpness straight off the card, or what the images are capable of being processed to? The first two are not indicators of ultimate image quality. The M2Z has a small sensor similar to the MP, while the M2P has a much better, larger sensor, and while its full potential is not being realized in FOV video mode, it still has better dynamic range and lower noise than either of the others.

Are you talking about JPEG sharpness straight off the card, RAW sharpness straight off the card, or what the images are capable of being processed to? The first two are not indicators of ultimate image quality. The M2Z has a small sensor similar to the MP, while the M2P has a much better, larger sensor, and while its full potential is not being realized in FOV video mode, it still has better dynamic range and lower noise than either of the others.

He’s not asking about noise or drange. He’s asking about sharpness and the Mavic 1 is better on all accounts

He’s not asking about noise or drange. He’s asking about sharpness and the Mavic 1 is better on all accounts

No it isn't unless, perhaps, all you care about is unprocessed. I have both the MP and the M2P, and the M2P camera is far better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut