DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 2 with smart controller

Reactions
Hi I am having a problem with my Mavic pro 2 and the smart controller. The announcement that your home point has been recorded isn't happening. Also the swipe to take off feature isn't shown now. I have the volume up. I am running the latest firmware but this has stopped working. Can anyone tell me what the led flash I need to see to tell me that the hone point has been recorded is? And what I can do to restore this function. Thanks!!

Hi I am having a problem with my Mavic pro 2 and the smart controller. The announcement that your home point has been recorded isn't happening. Also the swipe to take off feature isn't shown now. I have the volume up. I am running the latest firmware but this has stopped working. Can anyone tell me what the led flash I need to see to tell me that the hone point has been recorded is? And what I can do to restore this function. Thanks!!
I have the MP2 and Smart Controller and noticed the same thing for my first flight after updating the firmware (v01.00.0650). But since that first flight it seems to give me the notice about "home point set". I almost always take off and land manually, if I start the motors running (both sticks down/out) and don't take off for a while and just sit on the launch pad I usually get the "home point set" message, that is if I have +12 satellites. If I crank up and take off pretty quickly and climb vertically 10-15 meters I almost always get the "home set" message. Maybe try a vertical manual takeoff and see if it gives you the message. And you're sure about the volume control/mute control?

I don't want to take away from both of your guy's issues so hopefully you can get some answers to what is going on but I was going to make a post asking about the smart controller and whether people that have taken the plunge feel it was worth it. I am using my iPad mini and it's great but not so much in the sun. But please I would love to hear peoples thoughts after this issue get rectified. It's sitting in my online cart and I am torn because I see disconnect issues and it going black to be common. I believe some even lost their drone when that happened.

I don't want to take away from both of your guy's issues so hopefully you can get some answers to what is going on but I was going to make a post asking about the smart controller and whether people that have taken the plunge feel it was worth it. I am using my iPad mini and it's great but not so much in the sun. But please I would love to hear peoples thoughts after this issue get rectified. It's sitting in my online cart and I am torn because I see disconnect issues and it going black to be common. I believe some even lost their drone when that happened.
Hi! I don't have any issues in fact the Smart Controller has worked just fine for me. I've found the screen to usually be bright enough to see the most crucial items in the screen (nav aids, POV, etc.) during the day even in bright conditions. Setting exposure "by eye" by simply looking at the screen is more challenging in harsh conditions but if you pay attention to the EV readings you're usually semi-dialed in on exposure (I almost always shoot video and stills in manual). If you had a simple sun shade I think the SC would really be terrific in bright daytime shooting. Maybe the biggest downside is not being able to easily download apps to the SC but so far that hasn't been an issue for me although I'm thinking about getting Litchi which I understand is possible to install on the SC. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: Jonathonmp
Hi! I don't have any issues in fact the Smart Controller has worked just fine for me. I've found the screen to usually be bright enough to see the most crucial items in the screen (nav aids, POV, etc.) during the day even in bright conditions. Setting exposure "by eye" by simply looking at the screen is more challenging in harsh conditions but if you pay attention to the EV readings you're usually semi-dialed in on exposure (I almost always shoot video and stills in manual). If you had a simple sun shade I think the SC would really be terrific in bright daytime shooting. Maybe the biggest downside is not being able to easily download apps to the SC but so far that hasn't been an issue for me although I'm thinking about getting Litchi which I understand is possible to install on the SC. Good luck with your decision!
Thank you for the in depth "review" I really do appreciate it. It's hard to make that decision because while I can imagine the "lumens" difference in the brightness of using the dart controller vs my iPhone or iPad I am held up because I would hate to lose a drone over it. Is it heavy in your opinion?

Thank you for the in depth "review" I really do appreciate it. It's hard to make that decision because while I can imagine the "lumens" difference in the brightness of using the dart controller vs my iPhone or iPad I am held up because I would hate to lose a drone over it. Is it heavy in your opinion?
You're afraid you could lose the drone because you can't see it on the screen using an iPhone or Smart Controller? It shouldn't be an issue unless you're flying in some dangerous situations (e.g nearby power lines, buildings, trees, cliffs, etc.). A friend of mine has a Phantom 3 and he uses a big honking sun shade with this iPad and he can definitely see the drone with no problem. I haven't needed a sun shade for my SC and have generally been able to know where I'm at on the screen and of course using visual line of sight to the drone. I take it out much farther here at my small acreage where I know the height of the trees in all distances for quite a long ways. I'm far more cautious when I'm flying in new terrains though and really use a heavy combination of screen and visual awareness. I like the SC because there are no cords to a phone, much faster launch time, and with a lanyard the SC can hang from your neck without dislodging a phone or iPad when you're on a trail or rough ground. Again, good luck with your selection!

Reactions: Gindra
You're afraid you could lose the drone because you can't see it on the screen using an iPhone or Smart Controller? It shouldn't be an issue unless you're flying in some dangerous situations (e.g nearby power lines, buildings, trees, cliffs, etc.). A friend of mine has a Phantom 3 and he uses a big honking sun shade with this iPad and he can definitely see the drone with no problem. I haven't needed a sun shade for my SC and have generally been able to know where I'm at on the screen and of course using visual line of sight to the drone. I take it out much farther here at my small acreage where I know the height of the trees in all distances for quite a long ways. I'm far more cautious when I'm flying in new terrains though and really use a heavy combination of screen and visual awareness. I like the SC because there are no cords to a phone, much faster launch time, and with a lanyard the SC can hang from your neck without dislodging a phone or iPad when you're on a trail or rough ground. Again, good luck with your selection!
i was under the impression that when the screen cutout there was a problem with the drone losing connection of the control aspect as well. In fact I believe That I had read a story just a few days ago where that problem of the screen cutting out led to control loss as well.

Thebasic controller still functions if the app crashes or even if the phone disconnects. There is lots of info on the remote as well as the super useful cancel and rth buttons. So yes it can be stressful when the camera cuts out but if you loose contact with the drone there are other issues at play and some of those would effect the smart controller as well.

That's a very abbreviated summary but it's jusy to reinforce that the smart controller is nice but it can have its own problems at times. Plenty of story's on the forums too. A lot is also dependant on your comfort with your equipment.

I have the MP2 and Smart Controller and noticed the same thing for my first flight after updating the firmware (v01.00.0650). But since that first flight it seems to give me the notice about "home point set". I almost always take off and land manually, if I start the motors running (both sticks down/out) and don't take off for a while and just sit on the launch pad I usually get the "home point set" message, that is if I have +12 satellites. If I crank up and take off pretty quickly and climb vertically 10-15 meters I almost always get the "home set" message. Maybe try a vertical manual takeoff and see if it gives you the message. And you're sure about the volume control/mute control?

Thank you I always do manual take offs and landings but I will try again. Thanks

i was under the impression that when the screen cutout there was a problem with the drone losing connection of the control aspect as well. In fact I believe That I had read a story just a few days ago where that problem of the screen cutting out led to control loss as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by "screen cutout". I've had a few instances where the screen appeared to go back to the generic DJI screen but a simple tap on the "Go to Drone" hpyertext took me immediately back to the POV/nav screen and all was good. Maybe others have had persistent/tragic experiences with the SC. Fortunately, I'm not one of them. My near calamities have always been pilot error.

As long as there is control signal connection, losing the app or the phone/tablet doesn't affect your ability to control the drone.

Jonathonmp, I have a smart controller with my M2P, but I much prefer to fly it with an iPad mini in a Mavmount 3.0 tablet holder and the controller that came with the Mavic. I recently got a sun hood for the iPad, and I am in hawg heaven with the set up. I do a lot of my flying with either Litchi or Dronelink, and the last that I heard, neither is possible using the smart controller. If I had it to do over, I don't think that I would have gone the smart controller route.My Gear.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez